Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
As some of you will know we live on a camp site & the owner is trying to set up TV points on each EHU bollard as you get on CC sites in poor reception areas.

Anyone know where we can get information on what is needed, & how it's done?

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
if i were applying this to a houseing community here in Espana...

you will need a dish,
a quatro LNB (HH, HV, LH, LV) - so all frequencies are available
multiswicthes and or launchers and cascading multitaps for distributing the signals around the site
a lot of cables

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
if i were applying this to a houseing community here in Espana...

you will need a dish,
a quatro LNB (HH, HV, LH, LV) - so all frequencies are available
multiswicthes and or launchers and cascading multitaps for distributing the signals around the site
a lot of cables
Also available in English:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
ok,
satellite signals are availble on four "polarisations" - horizontal high, horizontal low, vertical high and vertical low,

to allow many people to connect to a dish you need a system to allow them to have access to all frequencies.

by having an qautro LNB this allows the four polarisations to be input into a multiswitch unit

the multiswicth unit thens distributes each polarisation to any of its 8, 12, 17 or more outputs.

these outputs can be connected to a satellite receiver, allowing for many satellite receivers to be connected to just one dish.

this is the same that happens in appartment blocks, where one dish feeds may recievers.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
so a double or quad LNB is more than just 2/4 blockers seeing the same signal?

i.e. I have a double here, am i receiving two different polarisations? or am i a bit confused :RollEyes:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
a twin output LNB allows the full frequency range to go directly to two seperate receivers

a quad output LNB allows the full frequency range to go directly to four seperate receivers.

a octo output LNB allows the full frequency range to go directly to eight seperate receivers.

but if you wnt to connect more receivers to the system then you will need the quatro LNB, that seperates HH, HL, VH and VL signals, and a multiswitch / distributor.
the multiswicth then distributes whichever frequencies to the receivers connected to the output of the multiswitch.
this method allows you to connect 1,2, or more different receivers to one LNB, as multiswicthes can be casecaded / daisy chained together for many more connections.
so by connecting two 12 output multiswicthes you can use 24 receivers all watching different channels!

you cannot, obviously connect 8 receivers to just 1 lnb output. as you will damange yourlnb and receivers, and you will only be able to watch channels on the same polarisation on all receivers!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but if you wnt to connect more receivers to the system then you will need the quatro LNB, that seperates HH, HL, VH and VL signals, and a multiswitch / distributor.the multiswicth then distributes whichever frequencies to the receivers connected to the output of the multiswitch.

So the multiswitch appears to the receiver as a normal LNB complete with polarisation switching ??? Clever. Internally it must shift 3 of the polarisations to different frequencies to feed down the distribution cable.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
this should explain it a bit better
satsigdist.gif

this diagram only shows 8 outputs but you can connect more multiswicthes together as a cascade.
this unit is also distributing terrestrial signals also.
at each "camping pitch" you will need some for of pilexer to "unmix" the satellite and terrestrial signals.

for each of the receiver outputs, the multiswitch just switches between inputs as commanded by the receiver.

Last edited:

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
have we missed the point here?
I'm assuming the original poster referred to terrestrial distribution didn't they?
We have just described satellite distribution which would require each camper to bring their sky box with them.

Not necessarily a bad thing though if you informed people on booking
Possibly another revenue stream too as you could buy old sky boxes from eBay for £20 and rent them out at a few quid a night with a freeview card.

Back to the point though, a terrestrial system just requires a decent aerial, distribution amps and plenty of cable

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
apols, if the OP was refering to terrestrial services, and I have got the wrong idea.
but id the terrestrial services )Freeview) are poor in the area, then the main UK channels are also available on satellite, so I was assuming that that is where they would get a signals from.
if you want signals from a terrestrial source than yes you will need an aerial with good recexption, a load of amplifiers and lots of cable.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back