TV Connections Provided on Spanish Sites - Analogue or Digital (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
I've read a couple of threads recently where someone has found that the TV signal provided by the Spanish site they are on is an analogue signal only.

We don't have a TV tuner in our motorhome at the moment, as the TV (odd design bought in Holland) only has a satellite tuner. I was thinking of buying a cheap (£20 or so) TV tuner box and a length of coax so we can plug into the site stuff in Spain this year but it will obviously be a waste of money if they only provide an analogue signal. TV isn't one of our must-haves on holiday anyway but sometimes it can be useful if mobile data is a bit patchy.

The two sites we are visiting which I know provide a TV signal are Marjal Costa Blanca and Camping Almafra. Does anyone have any knowledge of whether these two provide an analogue or a digital signal?

We are also going to other places but I don't think they have such a facility.

Thanks in advance

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What you have been reading is ref Villasol in Benidorm.. They seem stuck in the past and wont pay to upgrade the distribution system, leaving it set on Analogue..

Marjal is fine and digital, Almafra is a pretty new site so I would guess 99.9% thats digital as well.
So a cheap Digital TV will do the job.. NOTE.. If watching any American or British made programs on Spanish TV, go into the audio setting on the TV as they often transmit the English language audio track (y)(y)

May 21, 2016
Algarve & North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
It sounds like they are using a modulator to convert DVB/T (digital set top box) back to analogue and piping it throughout the site on a RF coax cable. You would be able to scan in into your TV OK though. If you have access to the RF (UHF/VHF)TV analogue coax cable?
And a TV with a tuner.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It sounds like they are using a modulator to convert DVB/T (digital set top box) back to analogue and piping it throughout the site on a RF coax cable. You would be able to scan in into your TV OK though. If you have access to the RF (UHF/VHF)TV analogue coax cable?
And a TV with a tuner.

Yes, the distribution is Analogue.
The issue is that some new TV's now only have a digital tuner. If you have one with both Analogue and digital then great.
Last time I was at Villasol I discovered my LED TV just had a digital tuner :mad:

We moved to Marjal later and all fine there are being a newish site, Digital was being pumped around. (y)

OP
OP
tonyl
Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
Yes, @tonka it was Villasol, so I was worried others might be similar. There were conflicting reports from people about Almafra when I did a search, but some so old that they might even have predated the current site.

I've used the audio menu a few times on the satellite to get English audio on various programmes, but they never seem to be stuff we'd want to watch!

Analogue distribution systems are still quite common around the world in hotels, cruise ships, etc. I suppose if you've paid once for the infrastructure, you don't want to fork out again if you can get away with it.

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
If you buy a digital box from one of the small shops here and plug into your hdmi socket. Will it convert the analogue signal back to digital so you can watch on your digital TV. I'm only asking as I'm thinking of getting a digital TV box so we can have some TV in villasol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you buy a digital box from one of the small shops here and plug into your hdmi socket. Will it convert the analogue signal back to digital so you can watch on your digital TV. I'm only asking as I'm thinking of getting a digital TV box so we can have some TV in villasol

NO..
Stop asking daft questions and go get back in the bar,,, !!! ;):D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back