Free Member
Sep 30, 2015
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Elldis aspire
Exp
1 year
We have used our motor home infrequently this year but do have problem with the Ariel that came as standard with the motor home in that it doesn't pick up much in the way of signal. I appreciate that to have a new one fitted is expensive and we do aim to travel overseas therefore if we are to fit a new one it would be good to go satellite - can anyone please give us some ideas of what is the best and why. We are not that technically minded and are a little blown away by some of the previous posts. We live in Basingstoke and it would be good to hook up with someone who is local that might be able to share their knowledge.
Thanks
June

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
IT may well be worth establishing which arial you have .. if it's one that can be lifted up and turned and put in a horizontal or vertical position (http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/vis...=030ea12bf129b9863498af9b2339c2e9&fo_s=gplauk) then you may want to get the free android app called UK Arial alignment ..
If it's a different type then I'm not really sure how good they are as we've not had one of those for a long time I'm sure someone will advise you though.
We used to have satellite. . But now we just use the Internet, downloaded files and use our on board blu ray player.

Upvote 0

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Hi, welcome to Fun.
Watching with interest as since we changed vans we are in same position.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a Avtex aerial which fits on the side of the van with a sucker and is very good, I use this when trees block the satellite signal. With all the changes with the Satellite beam changes and depending where you would be travelling in Europe, you should think carefully about buying a Satellite system. I've not been abroad since the changes but will be next year so will see(I have a KVH Tracvision dome)

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

June Beere

Free Member
Sep 30, 2015
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Elldis aspire
Exp
1 year
Having looked at the specification online I think we have Avtex high gain, omni-directional aerial with FM, AM, MW & LW, receives Digital and analogue signal arieal

Upvote 0

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
you really need directional for freeview tv as the signal is direction dependant so a status 530 is good along with a signal finder which you plug in to the Ariel turn it from inside the mh look for the green leds lock in place plug in tv and set to retune job done.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

June Beere

Free Member
Sep 30, 2015
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Elldis aspire
Exp
1 year
Although I have detailed the aerial - all I know is it is like a stick on the roof - like I say, no technical knowledge at all :)

Upvote 0

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
untitled.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

June Beere

Free Member
Sep 30, 2015
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Elldis aspire
Exp
1 year
Thanks for this Ciderman - Obviously requires professional fitting - so will look locally for a supplier - thanks

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I didn't want to put the tv where the aerial socket was so I bought one of these Broken Link Removed
£9.99. Have same attached to TV in bedroom at home, all free view channels, no problems at all.

Upvote 0

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We had the directional aerial and I got fed up with messing about with it so I bought a milenco Omni directional aerial after reading good reviews.
It has now been on a year and I don't find a need to put the satellite dish up anymore I always get over 100 channels on my avtex televisions personally I have been well impressed.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi June Beere.
Sounds like you have the "Avtex Bee Sting" Ariel. This is the third unit with one of these fitted,the first two were worse than useless. It is very dependant on good quality Co-ax and fitting,this is what let the first two down,this one on a PVC. is a revelation,off we go each trip,with a TV Pole and every intention of fitting a localy bought cheapy ariel .It has now worked faultlessly for over a year and a half,"Time to leave the pole and clamps behind ? " LOL.
As regards the SAT dish for France etc. It would seem that the signal is hit and miss about two thirds of the way down France,from what i can gather.Knowing nothing about Sat TV,but asking questions,people are beavering about even as i type this,to get some sort of device on the market,so keep your money in your pocket for a while longer.
A,"Plus" about the Bee Sting thingy, we are still under 3Mtrs,so sail through the Peage with our SANEF ? Tag...... Result
Tea Bag

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Problem with these forums etc is that everyone comes and says get what I've got cos I can't be wrong, and if I am I don't want anyone to be better than me.
I have tried various types and if you are prepared to try to find the strongest signal I believe one that is "directional" works best. But the omni directional ones are easier as you dont have to point them, sometimes you are in a strong signal and anything works well. In a weak signal area sometimes nothing works but you increase your chances with one you point. If you get a signal tracker similar to above it gives you a chance of a signal. The other thing is aerials are bits of pointy metal, coat hangers even, so paying a lot of money doesn't guarrantee success there isn't much technology going on in them.
We poke the co ax cable through the back doors and the aerial sticks on the back door, I connect the tracker thing and point the aerial around until its the best I can get then connect it up. Sometimes its great other times its do something else other than watch tv!!
Dont spend a fortune one at £20 is just as good as £400. Someone who has spent £400 will be along to tell you otherwise, and they might be right cos I haven't got one of theirs but its a hell of a gamble as they won't promise you 100% coverage because you can go anywhere in your van.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi Jean, you would have found out by now that to get the best out of this great site you need to become a full member, the annual subscription is only £15.00 and you will more than get that back in advise. Good luck in your search of the best ariel or you could do what a lot of us do and read, talk and forget about telly. (y)

Upvote 0

Skinflint

Free Member
Oct 8, 2015
Erskine
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
12 months
If you google motorhome tv aerial you will find load of dicsussions about this, the general concenus seems to be that the majority of aerials supplied with the vans are pretty useless. The best/cheapest fix appears to buy a log aerial like this

Amazon product ASIN B005190I02
mount it on a pole and then find some way to fix to your van, I have seen some clamped to the bike rack, with the cable simply fed via a window. You still need to point these towards the transmitter for your location but they give a great signal.

It also means its something else to tidy away before you move off.

Having said all this I am still using the original.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back