TV and Internet access on the road (1 Viewer)

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi,
We are in the middle of our van conversion. Just looking for some advice on the best methods to watch TV (and internet access) on the road, particularly when you'll be heading into other countries. Whats your experience been with satellite dishes? What can we expect....a bit clueless here I'm afraid!
Also, any internet providers who specialize in international travel?
I guess my concern is similar to what I've experienced living in different areas....the providers promise the world, only to find the reception is not so great, breaks down (freezes) regularly or costs an arm and a leg.
Would be great to hear from those in the know.
Thanks!!

Last edited:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Benny,

If you check out Motorhome Fun first issue, there was an article I wrote on the subject that might be of interest: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine/motorhomefun-magazine/

In terms of internet providers, the best option is Vodafone who have no limitations on travel in Europe when you opt for their fixed data plans (not Unlimited, which is limited to 25GB). We can offer 110GB for £18pm presently on a 12 month contract. You can get 50GB for £30pm with Vodafone 12month or 30 days, or 45GB with VOXI which is Vodafones PAYG arm but while they don't limit data they do limit time spent abroad to 60 days.

Vodafone allows you to use any network in any country, so if you go down the route of having a 4G system/antenna fitted you will have to be somewhere fairly remote in Europe for no network to provide coverage even with the benefit of the antenna.

I won't comment on if you need a Satellite system or not, I'm sure there will be plenty of funsters along soon to give their views on that topic.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
satellite tv systems are no longer as popular as they were, and only get uk tv on a small dish part way down southern europe. the footprint of coverage was changed a couple of years ago, reducing it considerably. Most people have moved onto streaming services using 4g or if available wifi

I use an amazon firestick with a few extra apps and can get the vast majority of tv channels from the uk and sky pretty much anywhere. I also have unlimited access to thousands of films, including the latest releases

my £3000+ satellite tv and internet system broke 2 years ago and it's not worth paying to repair it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Hi Benny,

If you check out Motorhome Fun first issue, there was an article I wrote on the subject that might be of interest: https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/magazine/motorhomefun-magazine/

In terms of internet providers, the best option is Vodafone who have no limitations on travel in Europe when you opt for their fixed data plans (not Unlimited, which is limited to 25GB). We can offer 110GB for £18pm presently on a 12 month contract. You can get 50GB for £30pm with Vodafone 12month or 30 days, or 45GB with VOXI which is Vodafones PAYG arm but while they don't limit data they do limit time spent abroad to 60 days.

Vodafone allows you to use any network in any country, so if you go down the route of having a 4G system/antenna fitted you will have to be somewhere fairly remote in Europe for no network to provide coverage even with the benefit of the antenna.

I won't comment on if you need a Satellite system or not, I'm sure there will be plenty of funsters along soon to give their views on that topic.

Hope that helps.
Great, will take a look. Just wondering which edition your article is in? thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
satellite tv systems are no longer as popular as they were, and only get uk tv on a small dish part way down southern europe. the footprint of coverage was changed a couple of years ago, reducing it considerably. Most people have moved onto streaming services using 4g or if available wifi

I use an amazon firestick with a few extra apps and can get the vast majority of tv channels from the uk and sky pretty much anywhere. I also have unlimited access to thousands of films, including the latest releases

my £3000+ satellite tv and internet system broke 2 years ago and it's not worth paying to repair it
Thats really interesting to hear! I guess the days of satellites are fastly behind us. Will need to research 4g providers, and streaming services. I always think of streaming as netflix, but maybe there is also a way to get live tv stations (without the constant buffering), drives me potty here at home in Ireland!!

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Skygo is now available euro wide on a tablet or laptop, we use this. For internet we have a 3 mifi, the sim costs £20 a month for unlimited data, downloads etc and actually works out cheaper than PAYG for the amount we use. We also ensure that the roaming signal extension option is ticked in the menu.

We had a PVC on a Renault Master and found that the only suitable option was a roof mounted system due to the bodywork acting as a Faraday cage. We had it mounted at the rear by the unused TV aerial during the build with box and router in the electrical cupboard during the build. It worked really well and i was able to stream with only the odd periodic issue.

It probably doesn't help but here's a couple of pictures roughly showing the areas I mean, top cupboard in the 2nd one.
WIN_20160219_14_39_39_Pro.jpg WIN_20160219_14_27_17_Pro.jpg

This is the system we had fitted to the Flying Banana and have now fitted in Peggy Sue.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Benny,

Hope that helps.

Addie, is the 110GB you offer better than our 3 sim? If so are you heading across to the Harrogate show in March?

Upvote 0

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Great, will take a look. Just wondering which edition your article is in? thanks

Quote from above (y)

Addie, is the 110GB you offer better than our 3 sim? If so are you heading across to the Harrogate show in March?

I can't confirm what the offer will be in March, hopefully, something comparable - but if you're an existing mobile broadband customer we can sign you up at any time.

Three limit you abroad to 20GB on a contract, 15GB PAYG. They also have preferred roaming partners, so you can't truly roam between operators. Smarty (run by Three) offer Unlimited UK data for £20pm on a 30 day start-stop basis and £10 gives you 30GB of which 20GB can be used abroad - so it's still good value for a lighter data user.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Have read the article in the magazine, so helpful!! Where would we be without the internet!! Thanks so much for your replies and for putting me on the right path!!

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
As TheBig1 says, the days of satellite TV are numbered, so there is little point investing in the kit.

The ubiquity of 4G availability (and maybe 5G in time) and the ever reducing cost means that is very much the way to go.

On that topic Addie is very much what we call at my work an SME (subject matter expert), so I would take his advice onboard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
As TheBig1 says, the days of satellite TV are numbered, so there is little point investing in the kit.

The ubiquity of 4G availability (and maybe 5G in time) and the ever reducing cost means that is very much the way to go.

On that topic Addie is very much what we call at work at my work an SME (subject matter expert), so I would take his advice onboard.
Thank you so much.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back