TV aerial Question for the 'lecky types (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have made an external aerial for my motorhome that has a pole to allow me to rotate it to get a signal from different transmitters. When I travel around, I do not know where the transmitters are, OR what type of waves horizontal or vertical polarity they transmit on. I have just bought another identical Labgear aerial to go on the same pole . Question is, can I fit them intermeshing dipoles vertical and horizontal and can they go together that way, they physically fit but will I lose the signal from interference of the other dipoles, and can I couple the wiring down the same lead????

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think you will lose some of the signal. A TV aerial can also act as a transmitter. For example, I've seen in the Highlands an aerial on a hill top which was pointed to the transmitter. This was then connected to an identical aerial pointing down to the house below. No amplifiers involved. :)
But I suspect the loss would be manageable but ideally having two leads would be better.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There are apps available which will tell you which direction the transmitter is and which way they are polarised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are apps available which will tell you which direction the transmitter is and which way they are polarised.
Most of them are 'near enough this way' directional, which was fine for the old analogue signals but digital needs to be pointing 'cross hair' accurate at the transmitter unless it's VERY close by, in which case its doubtful you need a finder.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are systems available to combine two aerials but they are provided as an assembly with matched aerials, matching sections of coax, and a matched combining device. This careful design is necessary to ensure that the output of one doesn't cancel the output of the other.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hymers have a built in aerial there should be a lead near your TV postion it will have an F connector on the end so you will need an adaptor. You also need to turn on 5v antenna power on the tv to power the built in amplifier.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Most of the time my Hymer built in aerial works ok. If I need an external directional one I use Antenna Aligner, an iphone app, to line it up. The app locates the nearest transmitters and shows expected signal strength (good/poor/bad), direction (degrees) and polarity (h/v). Having selected a transmitter it jumps to a compass and gives you a rotating arrow to show where you should point the aerial.

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
My Avtex STH3000 aerial has a built-in amplifier, and from my experience is not too fussy as to which way you point it, thereby making my Ae Location App pretty well redundant.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back