Tv aerial fitting (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Having read down through quite a few of the posts, my query seems very non-techy. We have an Avtex tv aerial with which we get a great picture - sometimes (n). My question is, how easy and economical is it to have a roof mounted aerial fitted?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
And if you do have one and it goes wrong where is the best place to go?

Hope it's ok to ask on your thread @Diggerdi but saves people answering two threads?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Its not too difficult to fit a new aerial, you'd really need a Teleco or Status 530 but the advice I'd give is make sure its directional & if able to receive on vertical or horizontal. Digital TV has really made the old "flying saucer" type aerials redundant, no matter what the adverts say.

The last three Status aerials that I've had have been faulty & began to leak, up until then I'd sworn by them, but the Teleco gets a signal where the Status was flummoxed by a weak signal.

This one below is the model that we have just now & its superb.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teleco-Te...025685?hash=item2ca84aa6d5:g:lDgAAOSwe7BWuIpf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I just bought a digital aerial and run a cable through a locker door and put aerial up on extending pole

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you or your other half are competent DIYers then it's not difficult to fit a 'through the roof' pole type yourself (carefully and slowly), I've done it before on a coachbuilt and didn't find it particularly hard, the most difficult part was working out where it could go as we only had a small MH (5.56m) so space for the pole to go into inside was very limited!

What's the actual problem with your Avtex one as they've got a very good reputation?

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
@Minxy Girl , there's nothing wrong with it, we get a brilliant signal. Sometimes it will work if we just lean it against the window. I have fed the cable through the window and stuck it on the outside with its 'sucker' - sometimes it stays stuck, other times it falls off! Where we were at weekend, the signal seemed to be at the other side of the van and, short of having the cable stretched across the moho, there was no suitable place to put it with a good signal. Sometimes it's ok until one of us moves. I tried sticking it to the roof through the rooflight, but it wouldn't stick and I couldn't reach properly to clean the roof.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
I don't personally want to start drilling holes in the motorhome, hence would like one professionally fitted. Don't want a pole stuck on the outside either.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Many years ago I thought I'd upgrade the aerial on the caravan to a digital one, just a case of drilling hole a bit further on thought I, drilling the hole was easy, repairing all the lighting cables that the hole cutter ate its way through was not so, still, I can laugh about it now :)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A little trick drilling through the roof avoiding snagging any hidden 12v wiring.
Start the hole, either inside or outside, with a 'Starrett' type hole cutter and go JUST through the inner or outer skin.
Pick off skin in the centre of the hole.
Now put the drill in reverse and CAREFULLY and a little at a time drill into the foam core, picking out the waste foam as you go.
Running in reverse, the cutter will skip over any wires. Forwards will grab the wires in the cutter teeth and rip them apart.
Once you're through the foam put the drill in forwards and finish from the other face, inside or outside, to avoid ragged edges.
If you do find wires you can pick at the foam and push them aside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back