Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Our TV for the 'van is actually a 12v. model; it was supplied complete with a 240/12v transformer for running from mains.

I've almost always run it on 240v as we are usually on hook-up; I have run it on 12v. once using a piece of kit that enables voltage selection (12v, 15v. etc.) and I believe that this piece of kit supplies a "controlled" voltage which may, or may not, be necessary.

I could achieve a much neater installation, however, if I were to always run on 12v. even when on hookup - the transformer seems always to get in the way and it uses up an otherwise useful 240v socket.

Couple of worries though: -

Do I actually need the "controlled" voltage kit, or can I just plug in to the 'van 12v.? There's a handy 12v. socket combined with an aerial socket which is obviously intended for the purpose.

Am I in danger of overheating the inverter whilst on hookup? I'm not sure if the inverter feeds the 12v. socket directly , or via the leisure battery.

The TV takes about 4 amps - do I need to check the current carrying capacity of the 12v. cable/plug? What I'm proposing to use is a standard 12v. plug and what looks like bell wire.

Any advice, as always, greatly appreciated.

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
I now only use the 12v supply for my tv, have the 240v transformer plug supplied with tv in the past. Freeing up a plug for speakers as tv ones are a bit "tinny" sounding. I had the aerial socket and 12v added by @Terry after a layout change to power from a usb socket located in cupboard above.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Your 12 volt supply is fine for the telly. I put a Cig lighter plug onto mine.
If you are on hook-up, your on board charger sorts it all out.
If your TV draws 4 amps and you are on 12 volt then ( Watts equals Amps x Volts ) you will be drawing 48 watts.
How many leasure batteries do you have ??
Mitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
To be really safe, you should use a 12V regulator, but I doubt it’s necessary. Your ‘12V’ supply will go up a bit on EHU because of the charger. You could switch the charger off while watching TV but that’s not very practical. Try it out and see (with EHU attached). If it goes “Pfff!” then you should’ve splashed out on a regulator (mine was £40) but splash out on a better TV instead.

For ‘inverter’ I assume you meant charger. That will supply the battery and will be capable of more than the current required for the TV, so no problem there. The existing supply should be fused at a rate suited to the size (thickness) of the wiring. Ideally it will be 5A or more and I doubt (hope) it’s not actually ‘bell wire’. Bell wire is usually a thin single strand of copper. Yours should be multiple strands. Just make sure you identify +ve and –ve correctly.

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
If it goes “Pfff!” then you should’ve splashed out on a regulator

Hmm...tried it and it didn't go "Pffft" - does that mean it's OK? Or could it go "Pffft" eventually?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Think about it.
If you are on hook up then the batteries are being charged so no worries about the tv draining the batteries.
If you are not on EHU then the batteries will not be charged by the telly still works..

Any TV that can run off of 12V should always be done like that..
Using a PSU via an inverter just means you are taking the 12v, upping it to 240v and then using a PSU to drop it back to 12v. Somewhat inefficient to say the least !

NOTE:
The use of 12v is generic
Most so called 12v appliances will be quite happy on anything from about 11v to 15 or 16v !!

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
Think about it.
If you are on hook up then the batteries are being charged so no worries about the tv draining the batteries.
If you are not on EHU then the batteries will not be charged by the telly still works..

Any TV that can run off of 12V should always be done like that..
Using a PSU via an inverter just means you are taking the 12v, upping it to 240v and then using a PSU to drop it back to 12v. Somewhat inefficient to say the least !

NOTE:
The use of 12v is generic
Most so called 12v appliances will be quite happy on anything from about 11v to 15 or 16v !!

Our TV seems to be the same. It always runs on the 12 volt circuit but runs well no matter whether the actual voltage is up a bit or down a bit.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Mine has run on the "12V" system from the day it was purchased, about 5 years ago. never seems to have any issue with consumption, It will work according to the "instructions / spec;" anywhere between 10.6 and 16V.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
Four amps seems a lot for a TV (assuming it is led). Ours takes 13w when in use on 12v, according to the documentation, which is just over 1 amp.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back