Turns over but won’t start (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Can't be battery... OP says engine always turns over with no problems... the issue is that the engine does not fire.
Could understand if turn over was sluggish but not according to OP.
Also turning over ok so can’t see how it’s the starter motor as a few are suggesting. Only thing a diesel needs is fuel, air and compression. Take your pick where to start.

Sep 12, 2018
Bridgend South Wales
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
Since 2018 camping and caravan since Noah was a kid
Also turning over ok so can’t see how it’s the starter motor as a few are suggesting. Only thing a diesel needs is fuel, air and compression. Take your pick where to start.
Modern diesel engines are run off a ECU so it could be electrical.
Common rail injectors are controled by the ECU any problems with wiring or sensors can course a not start .
Fuel injector Pumps require a stop solenoid which if sticking will also course a non start.
Even a low drop in voltage has been known to course the ECU to not work correctly when trying to start a vehicle

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
A bit late but.....we had a similar random no start problem. Ours was a faulty ignition barrel. Once I changed it, it starts every time. eBay item @£30

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Bit of an update after years.

It still does the same today, I have however noticed it’s only ever when the ignition lock light stays on when I turn the key.

I can only assume occasionally it doesn’t register the right key so it won’t start.

Just turn off and on till the symbol disappears and starts every time.

If it gets worse and it hasn’t in three years, I will change the ignition barrel as Baggydave suggests and see if that sorts it. 👍

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
Well this is an interesting read to which I can add my two pence worth. My Ducato 2.3 is less than 3 years old 11,000 miles and it’s done this no start thing recently when hot twice now. 1st time was at a filling station when I tried to move it from the stupidly expensive Vpower diesel pump to the just expensive diesel pump. It wouldn’t start so after a couple of minutes my Mrs said ‘ have I left the fuel cap off’ yep idiot! I replaced the cap and she fired up instantly (van not Mrs) and I put it down to that.
However yesterday we pulled into campsite lay-by at Reception and it wouldn’t start again. The engines was hot as we’d been thrashing up and down hills and B roads, sure enough it started again after a little time. As the van is relatively new I wouldn’t think it’s fuel lines etc. I did open the fuel cap this morning and there was a whoosh as others have experienced so draw your own conclusions from that.
I’m inclined to guess at some kind of heat protection shutdown mode but I’m no expert clearly otherwise I’d have the answer, just wanted to add some more data for group contemplations.
It’s going in for a service and 1st MOT next month so I’ll suggest full diagnostics check and plumbing check integrity of fuel lines show them suggested forum antidotes etc and report back if they find anything. 👍

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
If the tank gulps air on removal of the fuel cap, it is not vented and can cause fuel starvation. Also check the fuel filter has not got blocked or half full of water

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bit of an update after years.

It still does the same today, I have however noticed it’s only ever when the ignition lock light stays on when I turn the key.

I can only assume occasionally it doesn’t register the right key so it won’t start.

Just turn off and on till the symbol disappears and starts every time.

If it gets worse and it hasn’t in three years, I will change the ignition barrel as Baggydave suggests and see if that sorts it. 👍
Thanks for coming back with an update. It is always nice to know the resolution or solution of any problems people ask about. Big thumbs up from me for the update (y) Thank you.

Van Weasel

Free Member
Apr 9, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Dreamer Select
Exp
Since 2010
Mine failed to start again on yet another filling station forecourt and this time the battery ran out of juice. We had to push it off the forecourt away from pumps and recovery guy put a booster on the battery and she started instantly.
I then drove it 300 miles home without turning the engine off, parked up and tried to restart the engine but battery didn’t have enough juice to start it, concerned that was alternator/battery not heat.
So we decided the 3 year old battery must be at fault dead cell possibly and very unwilling to take a charge. Checked alternator and charging system is fine so it’s now got a new massive battery with 5 year guarantee and had a full service. Fingers crossed for the next big trip in a few days to Suffolk and then Belgium GP 🤞 bought one of those 500 amp lithium battery booster chargers just in case.
My fault but due to lack of use the old battery had been allowed to go flat a couple of winters ago and again last winter the same despite having a designated solar panel linked to it so I suspect this weakened the battery. I’ll be using a Ctek maintainer on it in future, probably more sophisticated and suited to purpose than relying on the solar panel.
I’ll let you know if the above is complete nonsense and it breaks down again because of something else! 😂

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Just to throw in 2 sensors that cause havoc in an intermitant error senario. The crankshaft or rpm sensor and the camshaft sensor. This last one is important in starting issues as it is only used to identify cyl 1 on start up then all timing issues are dealt with by the crankshaft sensor. Note im not suggesting this is your issue.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Well, another update.

It did get slightly worse, both keys and started happening about 1 start in 10. A few weeks back it was every other start for a few days.

Despite me looking to bypass the Immobiliser with lots of help from Jev88, it is a later model which has no external immobiliser and it’s all done through the ECU.

The Fiat forum came up trumps and I discovered that the wires for the antenna ring at the ignition barrel literally went straight to the ECU and that was it. It wasn’t a key issue as both keys were the same. The ECU was fine as were the connections to it. So the only issue could be the antenna ring or the wiring between it and the ECU.

Coastal Motorhomes had an antenna ring for £19 so was worth a punt and I could check the connections too.

Literally took me 2 minutes to change and so far, it hasn’t done it for about 20 starts.

I might have given it the kiss of death, but it seems to have fixed it for £19. If it hasn’t I will post again, I am crossing everything!!!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I did think of the immobiliser as it has an aftermarket alarm fitted by previous owner, it is so rubbish though that if you forget to turn the alarm off, it starts the engine and then sets the alarm off.

Wouldn’t a Ducato of that vintage have a factory fitted immobiliser? The only time I’ve had an identical problem on a 2012 Ducato, it was the immobiliser. Cost £500 to replace and programme by Fiat dealer about 15 years ago.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Wouldn’t a Ducato of that vintage have a factory fitted immobiliser? The only time I’ve had an identical problem on a 2012 Ducato, it was the immobiliser. Cost £500 to replace and programme by Fiat dealer about 15 years ago.
If there is one, I can’t find it and the Fiat forum were insistent it’s done via the ECU on a 2013 Ducato.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well, another update.

It did get slightly worse, both keys and started happening about 1 start in 10. A few weeks back it was every other start for a few days.

Despite me looking to bypass the Immobiliser with lots of help from Jev88, it is a later model which has no external immobiliser and it’s all done through the ECU.

The Fiat forum came up trumps and I discovered that the wires for the antenna ring at the ignition barrel literally went straight to the ECU and that was it. It wasn’t a key issue as both keys were the same. The ECU was fine as were the connections to it. So the only issue could be the antenna ring or the wiring between it and the ECU.

Coastal Motorhomes had an antenna ring for £19 so was worth a punt and I could check the connections too.

Literally took me 2 minutes to change and so far, it hasn’t done it for about 20 starts.

I might have given it the kiss of death, but it seems to have fixed it for £19. If it hasn’t I will post again, I am crossing everything!!!
Thanks for the update (y)

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Slightly related,I had an Iveco daily 2.3(2011) had similar starting issues sometimes with codes (rail pressure and similar)was a bit smokey(not bad enough to fail MOT)so had injectors tested all poor,had recond no smoke but still random starting issues,having done lift pump,high pressure sensor and relief and loads of other stuff,went back to the old goto
fitted non return valve in fuel lines (£5/6 for 2)
no more problems,was always the first thing done if no obvious fault found on fuel system,before common rail

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back