Turning stones over before I buy (1 Viewer)

nichos

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
s.bucks, uk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm newbie
Hi, questions, questions please.

Any octagenerian here (I am 79+ the wife 72) to spell out :-

1. if he is insured on a, say 10yr old Motorhome, who insured him & how much is the premium.

2. if he had an ordinary driving licence could he get in the motorhome and drive away legally on that licence.

3. if NOT how did he go about it & what did it cost to get legal.

4. I read the DLV bumph here but am ashamed to say understood nothing.

5. For us two oldies would a used Hymer B524 be too big? We do not want our VW westfalia camper van of 35yrs ago back. We want comfort.

6. Are there old folk motorhomers near us (S.Bucks, W.London) to team up with at the begining to get to know the ropes & camping sites?.

7. What would roughly the cost be to cross the channel, & is it rail or sea.

Thanx .......nick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Nick and welcome.

i have a few (quite a few) years to go yet but i can help on a couple of points.

licence....assuming you havent retained your C1 licence (up to 7500kg until aged 70) and now have a catagory B licence, you will be restricted to 3500kg gross weight

the Hymer shouldnt be too big providing its under 3500kg gross weight.

crossing water.....not possible to answer as there are too many variables.
time of year, departure and arrival ports.

worth a look on the ferry websites for prices....DFDS (was norfolk lines), sea france, P&O ferries and also the eurotunnel.

hope this helps a little. :thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just checked a couple of websites and the hymer should be under 3500kg and at just over 6 mtrs should be a good size for two.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi

We are young uns, me 61 and SWMBO is 60. We live in Burnham Berks, so not too far away from you. If you need any assistance, give me a shout. We pay around £60 to cross the water in our 'Van normally by Sea France but occasionally DFDS is cheaper to take the Toad with us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Can’t offer any technical advice but a few years ago we had the good fortune to meet a couple in France, both in their 80s and both as fit as the butchers dog. The gentleman who had been a regular visitor to Europe all his adult life was very upset because the AA/RAC were giving him a hard time with his insurance cover even though he had never made a claim. It could be a good idea to check if this is the case before committing to a trip. The couple were driving an Auto Sleepers talisman.
Good luck.....:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi :thumb: you should have no problems as the others have said :thumb:Before you commit to buy ring a few insurance co's up for quotes to insure the van you are thinking of buying :thumb: Do tell them if you have no claims bonus on your car as a lot of them will mirror the ins to your van rather than start with nothing £250 to 500 per yr should be about right
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back