Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Hi all,

MH goes into Ford tomorrow for a Cab service.

We have the 2.2 with the 140bhp upgrade.

One thing I've always noticed is that we get Turbo noises. The noise is the "flutter" type noise, most people think the sound is a dump valve but it's actaully turbo stall which is the blades of the turbo being forced to stop when the throttle is closed and the compressed air has nowhere to go. This is what a dump valve is supposed to avoid but most turbo diesels are not fitted with them. Most production petrol cars have them, but usually re-circuluating ones to mask the "Whooooooooosh" noise heard on Chav-tastic-Subarus.

Anyway, just interesting to know if anyone else with a 2.2 140bhp has the same turbo noises.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If your diagnosis is correct
Everyone with the 2.2 and the 140bhp upgrade.should have it:Sad:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yep!

Like I said, I don't think there's a problem, but whilst it's going in, I thought I'd mention it to Ford to see if it's normal.

EDIT: Just done some more digging and it could be a result of having the side exit exhaust meaning the noise from the turbo is more apparent. Looking at some posts on the internet about the STi Mondeo (which has a similar setup). When they have been decatting the exhaust they start hearing turbo flutter. Also, there is a flaw in my original post. Diesels don't have a throttle plate historically, however, not sure on the duratorq as it may have one to aid emission control.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Whilst on the subject, we have become aware of our Ducato turbo. At about 1800 revs we hear it spin up then it goes inaudible. At least I assume it's the turbo. Everything works fine.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Whilst on the subject, we have become aware of our Ducato turbo. At about 1800 revs we hear it spin up then it goes inaudible. At least I assume it's the turbo. Everything works fine.

yes they do go sort of supersonic as they get over 150000rpm

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Ford found no issues with it and also mentioned the side exit exhaust making it more noticable. :thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
140 hp---turbo dump whooosh--
This has to be the way to get the younger generation in to Motorhomes :thumb:
Just lower it as well --- ----- ---- Drain pipe exhaust :thumb:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Drain pipe exhaust :thumb:

That's my next mod! :roflmto:

The way that Ford leaves the side exit exhaust is just wide enough to clear the cab, then Chausson make it wider with the Hab body and they just stick on a straight exhaust pipe to make it wider.

Great!.....well not so as shown below and this was only 1000 miles into a 2000 mile trip so you can imagine what it looks like now. I'm thinking of replacing it with a pipe that points downward at the end that you normally see with high powered diesel cars.

Broken Link Removed

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
If my Fiat was chucking out that amount of soot ,I would be asking the main dealer why
on a Two year old Vehicle.

regards
Steve:Eeek:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
If my Fiat was chucking out that amount of soot ,I would be asking the main dealer why
on a Two year old Vehicle.

regards
Steve:Eeek:

Which is what I did today when it went for a service.

Answer was as mentioned. Firstly the exit of the exhaust is a little silly, second it's 140bhp so you can expect a little more soot, thirdly if the VNT turbo (which is a new modern variable turbo with no wastegate) is spooling for long times (AKA going through the alps) and fourthly an oil change was approaching.

It's had some tests today to find out what was going on and everything including emissions is bang on. What they did do however is update the firmware on one of the controllers (which I think was the controller for the Turbo) and it's made a big difference. Before, in my opinion, I found the Turbo too agressive and was really coming in sharp which is great for a Subaru Impreza kicking out 300bph. However, since the upgrade, the turbo (although no dip in performance) comes in far more smoothly making it more pleasant to drive.

All in all, Ford has confirmed that there are no issues and I'll see how sooty gets on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back