xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
We have had a slow throttle response/turbo lag on our 2012 peugeot x250 for a while now. Just wondering if anyone on here has had the same problem. It started about 6 months ago, just enough to be annoying but drivable just had to remember to use a gear lower than normal but has progressively got worse. Yesterday I was pulling out of a parking spot on the flat but tight left turn onto a steep slope, drove of the flat no problem until I hit the slope a felt like I was in 3rd gear, stopped before engine stalled checked gear, nope in 1st tried again still on slope but not having it so nothing behind rolled back down onto flat. Tried again same thing, engine bogging down then just before the engine stalled bang turbo kicks in and off we go wheels near spinning on the gravel and clutch stinking like a good een. So before I go to main stealer to plugin and get raped has anyone had similar issues.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Does your MH stand around for long periods of time not being run? It could be a sticking turbo waste gate valve, quite a common occurrence for MHs that don't get much use. Not difficult or expensive to fix.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Doubt it's the turbo at such low revs, they don't do a lot until the exhaust pressure is high enough to really get it spinning.
My suspicions are it's the throttle position sensor at fault, if its 'fly by wire' and not direct cable operated.
I have a similar fault on my car, depress the clutch on the over run to change down a gear and the revs increase momentarily then drop back down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Does your MH stand around for long periods of time not being run? It could be a sticking turbo waste gate valve, quite a common occurrence for MHs that don't get much use. Not difficult or expensive to fix.

That would be my first thought too. The wastegate actuator linkage is mounted on a part of the turbo that can glow red hot so corrosion & seizure are common - and as noted by Minxy Girl standing around doesn't help. You can check for free movement by hand - you should be able to move the linkage against the spring in the actuator canister.

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
We use it quite alot although it has only doe 13000 miles so probably had long periods of inactivity before we got it. Thing is I dont have time to get my hands dirty and cant be bothered anyway :D

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Yes it could be something quite simple; there again it might be more compicated, as well as expensive.

With my experience about trying to sort out running problems last year, I would recommend taking it straight to a proper Fiat Professional dealer, preferably one who deals with their commercials. Yes, you can get "opinions" from garages etc. and also there'll be plenty of suggestions on here too. But if, as you say, you don't have the time etc. bite the bullet. Wish I had first off, would have saved myself a big lump of cash wasted on "well we think it's this".

And before anybody has a go, this is my opinion so sorry to all the well-meaning folk on here, but you have to agree that there's a number of different things it could be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
I will have a look and check the waste gate actuator operation. I hope it is not a VNT turbo as on my Hilux as it has an electronic actuator and my one snapped the shaft operating the turbo vanes a couple of year ago, took me a day and a half to remove the turbo, weld the broken shaft and linkage and re-time the electronic actuator motor to the turbo vane position. A nightmare of a job. What I really need to know has anyone else had these symptoms or maybe even is turbo lag common on this engine.

Pic of hilux turbo broken shaft.
IMG_1924.JPG

OP
OP
xulih

xulih

Free Member
Jan 17, 2017
58.89º North
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Accent
Exp
As usuall with modern engines you can not get to or see nuffin but I can just about see a turbo with and electric plug if I lie on my back and shuffle under the van so a quick google for a pic comes up with a turbo with electronic box operating an actuator. Need to phone around to see if reaction times are logged on ECU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back