Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Can you help please. looking to go to Pau in France then into the Somport Tunnel and onto Zaragaza in Spain?is this poss with my 544 Hymer,have you been this way? in the caravan club book it says max 3500kg.john

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi John

I can find nothing that suggests this is the case and I found this pic of an accident drill inside the tunnel.. note the bus and truck , it's also toll free .

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can you help please. looking to go to Pau in France then into the Somport Tunnel and onto Zaragaza in Spain?is this poss with my 544 Hymer,have you been this way? in the caravan club book it says max 3500kg.john

why should weight matter in a tunnel.
caravan club cant seem to grasp the fact that leisure vehicles can and do weigh more than 3.5ton just cos a car and tug will very unlikely ever be that heavy.
john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
John,

In October 2005, a rockfall on the French side of the Somport pass blocked a lane of the road for several hours. The roadworks caused delays until well into 2006. There was a ban on all vehicles over 3500kg for a while which has now been lifted.

I assume the Caravan Club will amend the entry when the guide goes to print.

We've used the pass and the tunnel and is a good route into Spain.

Don

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
In October 2005, a rockfall on the French side of the Somport pass blocked a lane of the road for several hours. The roadworks caused delays until well into 2006. There was a ban on all vehicles over 3500kg for a while which has now been lifted.

I assume the Caravan Club will amend the entry when the guide goes to print.

Well, that clears that one up, thanks Don :Smile:

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Somport tunnel restrictions

I've contacted the Caravan Club and the 2008 entry will be amended to show no weight restrictions.

Don

OP
OP
potjoe

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Thank you Don and all

Don Madge can i ask you how is it for Aires that way please?.

John

OP
OP
potjoe

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Thank you Don big help.Regards john

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

Hi,
Re the Somport Tunnel there are no problems with going thru the tunnel with your van. We have been thru quite often, the route to from France is narrow but accessed by lorries and route follow a river below for most of the distance. Out of interest on the opposite side of the river is single track railway built about 1933 and the became disused by 1938/9 due to the Spanish civil war. The railway passes thru the mountain into Spain via a spiral tunnel to gain height into Spain. Great pity it cannot be revived thru this very delightful scenery.
Out of interest another tunnel thru the mountains is the Bielsa Tunnel
with scenery on both sides a delight, also good campsites mainly municipal which come in at the right price.
Hope this is useful to you, good luck.

theresa

Free Member
Mar 9, 2008
near falmouth cornwall
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
15 years
yes you can we use it every year on our return from spain , but would not attempt it in the winter as approach roads are subject to snow, but it is a lovely run very scenic

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back