Tunnel Pros want to get salty (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
This may sound odd but the last time I crossed the English Channel in a ferry was around 1982:Smile:

Having been a tunnel user since it was dug, we tend never to think of anything else but I wonder this year if we should get salty and breath in some sea air instead of stagnant coach diesel fumes...

Just had a quick look but was some what confused (doesn't take a lot) and wondered about a good approach to getting a reasonable price for 6 people and 2 dogs in an 8m van.

I see a lot of voucher threads, would it be worth getting someone in blighty to start cutting up Dailymails or raiding Tesco ? what's the trick here ?

Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forget Tesco, you'd have to do a heck of a lot of shopping to make it worthwhile exchanging them for Tunnel travel tokens and the name on the vouchers would have to be yours as you cannot use them otherwise. Someone could of course get a card in your name but to register for one it may cause issues with them are pretending to be you with your French address!

Assuming you will want a return trip to France, be aware also that you can ONLY use Tesco travel tokens for your crossings if you start your journey FROM the UK, although you can just have a single crossing from the UK if you want.

I doubt if you'll beat some of the cheap ferry deals, so if you can get a voucher code off someone for one of the providers that might help, again though check where the first trip has to be from if doing a return trip! :Smile:

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It is probably too late for Tesco vouchers for you this time but ,,,

When we got our first MH our friends said get a Tesco credit , :Smile:

Then put everything you can on it , fuel ( esso give same points as tesco ) pub meals , beer if you can run up a tab , buy your euros on it ,no charge for the cash , shopping , bits for the van ,e bay , etc, etc ,

we dont food shop at tescos but use the card at other places ,

Tesco points are 3 x face value for eurotunnel , we have had 2 trips return trips and a one way in 3 years and only paid £5 for a change of time ,

we nearly have enough points saved for the next trip , :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Just booked eurotunnel for 3 of us in a 7.5M MH
Booked through Caravan Club - £115 return
Booking direct with Eurotunnel directly would have cost us £143 return for exactly the same crossings.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Just booked eurotunnel for 3 of us in a 7.5M MH
Booked through Caravan Club - £115 return
Booking direct with Eurotunnel directly would have cost us £143 return for exactly the same crossings.

That's interesting.

Just looked at the tunnel for our dates and we're getting €348 return but that includes 2 woofers. The price is one reason to check out the ferry.

Also what's the total crossing time inc load and off load on the ferry ? we calculate 60-70mins for the tunnel, was thinking it's around 3hrs ?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This may sound odd but the last time I crossed the English Channel in a ferry was around 1982:Smile:

Having been a tunnel user since it was dug, we tend never to think of anything else but I wonder this year if we should get salty and breath in some sea air instead of stagnant coach diesel fumes...

Just had a quick look but was some what confused (doesn't take a lot) and wondered about a good approach to getting a reasonable price for 6 people and 2 dogs in an 8m van.

I see a lot of voucher threads, would it be worth getting someone in blighty to start cutting up Dailymails or raiding Tesco ? what's the trick here ?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother with vouchers. The straights crossings are cheap however you book. DFDS normally cheapest, but the others have to keep up, so normally not far off the pace. Dogs usually pay only on France->UK direction, but are pricey compared to people.

I'd be more worried about how you'll keep 6 people and 2 dogs in an 8m van...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use the ferries for a booze cruise day trip but always use the tunnel if we're taking the dog. You have to leave dogs in your vehicle on the car deck on their own for the duration of the crossing, and I wouldn't do that to ours. Car deck is noisy (alarms going off if at all rough) and pretty smelly even to human noses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back