Tunnel prices gone through the roof (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We've been using the channel tunnel for the last 4 years and although slightly dearer than the ferry we've always considered the extra worth paying as its so much easier, quicker and more efficient than ferries.
However last month on our trip to Europe we were shocked to be quoted £290.00 return on the tunnel and £88.00 on the ferry so obviously used the ferry.
Considering going to the Spanish motogp in November so just checked again, tunnel £192.00 return ferry £88.00 again.
As much as we prefer the tunnel I think its popularity is pushing prices higher and higher to the point where its now uneconomical for us to use it. Someone's bound to come along and say use Tesco vouchers but we don't want to shop at Tesco as we don't like the company and even if you use Tesco vouchers it doesn't alter the fact its grossly overpriced.
Problem will arise when we cross in the winter and have a bad crossing as Jan is terrified of the water and hates ships and last month was her first time for 4 years after a really bad crossing from Santander.
Hopefully they'll start to price themselves out of the market, loose customers and reduce prices again.:confused::confused:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We've been using the channel tunnel for the last 4 years and although slightly dearer than the ferry we've always considered the extra worth paying as its so much easier, quicker and more efficient than ferries.
However last month on our trip to Europe we were shocked to be quoted £290.00 return on the tunnel and £88.00 on the ferry so obviously used the ferry.
Considering going to the Spanish motogp in November so just checked again, tunnel £192.00 return ferry £88.00 again.
As much as we prefer the tunnel I think its popularity is pushing prices higher and higher to the point where its now uneconomical for us to use it. Someone's bound to come along and say use Tesco vouchers but we don't want to shop at Tesco as we don't like the company and even if you use Tesco vouchers it doesn't alter the fact its grossly overpriced.
Problem will arise when we cross in the winter and have a bad crossing as Jan is terrified of the water and hates ships and last month was her first time for 4 years after a really bad crossing from Santander.
Hopefully they'll start to price themselves out of the market, loose customers and reduce prices again.:confused::confused:

Couldn't agree more but have a look at the link:
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/tickets/?gclid=CNSshIOklsECFa7KtAodWTkARQ

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
prices on the ferries are just about to jump up too. the rules about which fuel they can use change shortly and either they pay up to 20% more for fuel or a small fortune to convert each ferry to meet emission rules from January 1st

Broken Link Removed

costs are guaranteed to rise

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Slowly but surely the major ferry companies are carving up the various crossings between them eliminating the requirement to 'compete'. No competition means what we all know it to mean higher and higher prices. Couldn't go back to 'boating' as Mrs BB doesn't like sailing after an unpleasant experience on a catamaran with projectile vomiting children form Bedford. For us it'll always be the tunnel, convenience and minimum faffing about are but two reasons.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We don't shop at Tesco but wifey uses a Tesco credit card to buy everything including our ASDA shopping and all fuel.It takes a while but we get one quite cheap crossing per year

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
prices on the ferries are just about to jump up too. the rules about which fuel they can use change shortly and either they pay up to 20% more for fuel or a small fortune to convert each ferry to meet emission rules from January 1st

Broken Link Removed

costs are guaranteed to rise
Correct - either 0.1% sulphur fuel (which they have to burn in port or manoeuvring anyway) or fit exhaust scrubbers which are about USD 3 million a ship - if you can find somewhere to fit them....... Burning distillates is an expensive business compared with residuals and it will get worse globally in 2020, but that won't affect the ferries

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We're looking at prepaying for 10 Eurotunnel tickets
£45 each plus £15 surcharge for the MH
Anyone else used this option?

Not yet as I think you have to use them all within a twelve month period (though I'd be more than happy to be corrected). Once we're 'fully' retired that's the option we'll go for even if the 12 month rule is correct.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
What's to stop someone who is going over to Europe for a few months just going out on a cheap day return ticket but just not returning?

I am assuming it cannot be done, otherwise you would all be doing just that?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What's to stop someone who is going over to Europe for a few months just going out on a cheap day return ticket but just not returning?

The Law.

You enter a contract with them, should you fail to return they can and maybe will, bill you for the difference to a one off fare.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
When I compare diesel costs and campsite fees in the UK with those in Europe, particularly ACSI and some of the cheaper and free aires the tune seems a good deal, especially if away for a couple of months at a time which we usually are.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We don't cross at "stupid o'clock" on the tunnel, usually no earlier than 8.00 am or later than 11.00 pm and still get the cheap crossings. This year we travelled:
  • Out: Tue 3/6/14 @ 18.20
  • Ret: Thu 10/7/14 @ 09.20
It cost us £71 each way = £142 (excl dogs), for which we used our Tesco deals vouchers for with a face value of £45 plus £7 on our credit card (plus dogs).

With a frightened dog we don't really have much choice, but to be fair I'd rather use the tunnel any day! I don't 'mind' the ferry but it's the long waiting around, long crossing, and wacky races when you get to port that I don't like!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not yet as I think you have to use them all within a twelve month period (though I'd be more than happy to be corrected). Once we're 'fully' retired that's the option we'll go for even if the 12 month rule is correct.
It is 12 months, but I think you can also have a joint member, so if you had a buddy you could share them with?

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
Yes we use these! its great so long as you make 10 single or 5 return trips each year. We actually book the outward leg a few days before we travel and then wait to book the reurn leg a day or 2 before returning. obviously doing thatr you have to have access to wifi to book online. Most of the day is available for these tickets but if you go before 1200 and after 1600 you only pay the £11 supplement. Sometimes if you travel on a Sunday the extra charge can go up.
The other good thing is if you arrive more than 40 minutes before your check in they normally bump you forward even during busy periods.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We buy these, as well as the MH surcharge, we have to pay for 2 dogs. I reckon we save quite a bit by being a frequent traveller.
Each return crossing costs us a total of about £120.
Allan

Edit. The best thing about these is that you can change bookings at a moments notice without any penalty.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We buy these, as well as the MH surcharge, we have to pay for 2 dogs. I reckon we save quite a bit by being a frequent traveller.
Each return crossing costs us a total of about £120.
Allan

Edit. The best thing about these is that you can change bookings at a moments notice without any penalty.
That's got to be worth looking at, our last return crossing was £234 plus £64 for the dogs

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
That's got to be worth looking at, our last return crossing was £234 plus £64 for the dogs
:Eeek:
It depends what time you cross. We buy 10 crossings for off peak trips. We only live 1/2 hour from the tunnel so can go at any time. We generally get a late afternoon or early evening crossing and spend the night near Wissant for an early morning start.
As soon as I shut the van door, I'm on holiday!
You can now use your phone to call text or surf the net while on the train......if thats what you like doing!
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back