Tunnel in Rouen (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Seen on a thread somewhere about a low tunnel around Rouen we came back South france back in March never saw a tunnel back around Rouen September and now concerned can anyone enlighten me please

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think the low ones people refer to are the underpasses along side the river, I have been traveling via Rouen for 30 years only noticed them for the first time this year.:)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's on the left here marked as 1.9 metres headroom
image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its not compulsory to use the tunnel, it's just there so you avoid going through the junctions, so if you don't want to use it just make sure you keep to the right and shouldn't accidentally go down it then!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Its not compulsory to use the tunnel, it's just there so you avoid going through the junctions, so if you don't want to use it just make sure you keep to the right and shouldn't accidentally go down it then!
That's not Srictly how I remember it, not wishing to argue because it was a year or two ago and I might have it wrong , but I'm almost sure the one I came to was like a slip road off the right hand side.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're heading to or from Calais through Rouen in a roughly SW/NE direction with a SatNav it won't take you anywhere near the old riverside tunnels. You go round the East of the city on the E46. As others have said, the low tunnels are avoidable with common sense anyway - just look for the height warning signs.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
That's not Srictly how I remember it, not wishing to argue because it was a year or two ago and I might have it wrong , but I'm almost sure the one I came to was like a slip road off the right hand side.
I think that sounds like the one that caught me out a few years back. I heard my wife scream, "we won't get under that!". Slammed the brakes on and heard a thump on the roof. Luckily it was the height barrier we had hit. We then had to hold up the traffic while we reversed back to the main road. As said, it is just an underpass to avoid going around the island. It does seem rather unnecessary.

Wyn

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
Last year we were coming through Rouen heading for Caen which we've done many times , for some reason our Tom Tom took us on a completely different route and tried to take us down this tunnel. I bought a Chinese truck nav after that and have no trouble since.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last year we were coming through Rouen heading for Caen which we've done many times , for some reason our Tom Tom took us on a completely different route and tried to take us down this tunnel. I bought a Chinese truck nav after that and have no trouble since.
Yes that was our problem, we reversed out and got away with it, many don't , I know it is up there on the sign but if you are on a three or four lane carriageway going straight on , following a sat nav , you aren't expecting a six foot tunnel to spring up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not come across one of those so maybe on a bit of different road to where we were.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We saw it this year too but thanks to MF and our Chinese sat nag we were well aware of it.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back