Tunnel frequent Traveller share (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@OldAgeTravellers
  • You 'couple up' for the account for only one year so not commitment for longer than that to any particular FT partner.

• You and your partner decide between you how many trips you want to share (minimum 10 have to be 'bought') and who will be the main account holder (1st partner).

• The 2nd partner sends the 1st partner the money for the crossings that they want (eg 4 single car crossings @ £44 = £176) via bank transfer or Paypal ('friends and family' though so no fees) along with their name etc.

• The 1st partner sets-up the FT account and gives the 2nd partner information, and pays for all of the crossings wanted via credit card (minimum of £440 = 10 single car crossings), or more if extra ones are required - you cannot 'add' extra ones later.

• The 1st partner then sends the 2nd partner the login details for the account.

• Each partner can book their own crossings and pay the £11 motorhome supplement for each crossing on their own credit card* as this is done separately from the payment for the original crossings; if you have pets this is the time you'd pay the extra for them too. (* Make sure that the credit card you use to pay for your supplement etc is the one you will take with you when you go away in case they want you to show them when you go to book in.)

• You then need to enter the API details for those who will be travelling on each crossing (this doesn't have to be done immediately though but must be done before you travel).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To those that are in a "coupling", do you have to share your credit card details with the partner,
No.
The partners also have to be set up from day one I believe but I presume the split can be any way or even none at all if that was needed.
Correct
Has anybody with a very flexible life like ours achieved a successful partnership with FT?
Most definitely! :)
And in reality how flexible are EuroTunnel can you just turn up as long as it is not peak time or just book the day before? Can you book the place and pay the supplement on the web or must you phone up?
You must book (or amend an existing booking) at least 24 hours before travel - you have to do it via the FT account on-line.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
The point about the second partner credit card is that it is used to identify you when you get to the terminal, so instead of typing anything into the screen on arrival you just insert your credit card and it picks up your details from the card. So the second partner can give the number to the main partner to insert when opening the account (they do not need to furnish any other details like dates or the code on the back of the card) or they can phone Eurotunnel and tell them the data very soon after the account is opened. If I did not trust my co-account holder with those details then I would not be sharing an account. Only the main partner can use his credit card to open the account (the main partner being the first named but this does not mean they have to use more of the tickets).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just checked & possible to have more than one Frequent Traveller account at a time too so ideal if need more (y)
We have just added this https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...ay-onwards-need-2-crossings-this-time.168625/
Know it's a long shot but we only need 2 crossings for this time with hopefully someone who travels frequently & uses 8 or more being kind :angel: & adding us?!
Yes I mentioned that in an earlier post: (y)
However if you use up all of your crossings before the 12 months is up there's nothing to stop you entering into another share with someone else for more crossings.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Thanks @Minxy Girl & @Camdoon.
I know there needs to be a certain amount of trust but sharing credit card details with somebody you meet on the web however friendly they are is potentially unlimited and perhaps unwise. Just sharing the account is limited to £440 on the part of the principle or the amount the secondary pays in advance.
I have just had another read and I think it says that you can register in the terminal the first time you travel.
I just need to find somebody who is prepared to share two journeys possibly around September to November 2018 then another two about May 2019.
It is a shame that @Jim hasn't taken up @androidGB suggestion of starting a third Section in Classifieds so people could register an interest to share FT tickets so it doesn't get mixed up with all the other general posts. But still appears among them like the Classifieds do. Because mixing it in with Classifieds like @Mickey1 has done is ok but would be more eligant separated. The initial page could then advise how the system works and warn of potential dangers.
Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, I know Jim is busy but hopefully he will get time to consider what is possible with the Forum software.
Steve

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It is the best way I will ever go abroad, last year was the first try and the FIRST trip was the disaster, where I had to come straight back, oh well! a day trip then. Scecond one to Germany was OK and learnt a lot third one to Gibraltar learnt a load more including to have a Spanish gas fitting and not pay road tolls. Next three will go alright I hope and Fidget will get the other two so he is happy once he pays to get of the IOW, probably even more than the tunnel.

OP
OP
FIDGET
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Yes , Right !! not quite dearer but at £95 return deffo not cheap plus diesel to get to & back to tunnel, but best way to travel with our dog .

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Perhaps Jim is not keen to as it were give this method of sharing his official blessing. Not that there is anything morally wrong with finding a sharing partner in this way, I feel. The security thing is a concern though, but risking part £440 is not too much of a worry.

I am still looking to find a partner for either 4 singles from mid May, or 5 from late March. Please pm if interested.

Can someone confirm that the start date is from the first time it is used?

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Perhaps Jim is not keen to as it were give this method of sharing his official blessing. Not that there is anything morally wrong with finding a sharing partner in this way, I feel. The security thing is a concern though, but risking part £440 is not too much of a worry.
There is nothing odd about it, it is an official Euro tunnel thing. No different to the house sitting part of this site really and the same as that it stillimportant to take care.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
There is nothing odd about it, it is an official Euro tunnel thing. No different to the house sitting part of this site really and the same as that it stillimportant to take care.
I'm not suggesting there is, that was the point I was making. It's difficult to be clear to all in a few short lines

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Thanks @Minxy Girl & @Camdoon.
I know there needs to be a certain amount of trust but sharing credit card details with somebody you meet on the web however friendly they are is potentially unlimited and perhaps unwise. Just sharing the account is limited to £440 on the part of the principle or the amount the secondary pays in advance.
Steve
Perhaps a bit strong as the risk is not "potentially unlimited" but still a risk and without the other details on the card a fairly convoluted way of trying to scam someone given that any journeys through the tunnel need a licence plate number and a passport so a dodgy partner would leave a big tell-tale. I would certainly look to how long someone had been a member on here but look on this as low risk given that only the 16 digit number has been disclosed to someone who is registering with the chunnel with a credit card, email address and postal address.
From the web site terms and conditions:
"
6. Travel

6.1 The person making the booking must travel on all bookings made in their name. On arrival at check-in, the main Account holder must present the credit/debit card used to open the Account together with the Frequent Traveller Account number and booking reference. A Nominated Person must present the credit/debit card (if provided) that was registered for them at time of Account opening.

6.2. If the relevant payment card (as detailed in 6.1) is not available at check in, travel under the Frequent Traveller Account will have to be validated."

From the online form:
"
Payment card number (optional)
To enable us to easily recognise the Nominated Person's booking at Check-In, please provide their payment card details. This payment card will not be charged. If a payment card has NOT been provided for a Nominated Person, the Nominated Person will need to visit the Customer service and ticket desk in the Victor Hugo Terminal Building before travelling, to validate the use of the Frequent Traveller account."

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back