Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We are going to use the tunnel to go to France in our motorhome, it is 7.14 mtrs long and 2.9 mtrs high and I have had it up plated to 3850kg, so I've never booked the tunnel before so do I choose Van or Campervan or do I book via the freight department due to the weight.
Also are there any discount codes as such ?

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just book it as motorhome. One size one price.
Thanks, there is no motorhome option just a Campervan, which when I see that word for me means the likes of a VW Campervan, as in smaller in size

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
CAMPERVAN,,,
there is no selection for motorhome, Just use campervan. (y)
My van 7.5mtr and over 3mtr never an issue.. Even the big RV's use that selection.
DONT PANIC :) go for it...

Def NOT freight, you will end up with all the truckers on another open train.. Ok you get a meal but costs a lot lot more..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You have to choose Cammpervan.

The size of your vehicle is irrelevant

Don’t try and over complicate things.

If you did try and book as freight based on vehicle dimensions you would not be allowed to travel

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you did try and book as freight based on vehicle dimensions you would not be allowed to travel

He would, I have travelled over with a 3500kg van in freight and that was smaller than my current motorhome.
I thought i was doing right thing as taking stock over to Madrid, mistake really should have just gone over on normal train for less than 1/2 the price as no one ever checked.... Lesson learned..

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all :) ,on a side note our MH is an 07 fiat ducato do I NEED to bother with them stickers for the headlights

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks all :) ,on a side note our MH is an 07 fiat ducato do I NEED to bother with them stickers for the headlights

I never have but then we’re never driving much past lunchtime so I don’t think the lights have ever been on

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Also forgot to ask about our dog who is going with us , do I just add 1 x pet @£19
And have its pet passport handy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also forgot to ask about our dog who is going with us , do I just add 1 x pet @£18
And have its pet passport handy.

It’s £18 each way.

You don’t need to do anything outbound.

When you’re coming back you need to do the vet thing 24-120 hours before and get the passport signed making sure the vet fills it in correctly then when you get there go to pet check in first. This is before the barriers so do not go through them. They will check the pet passport and give you a sticker for your windscreen. You can then go through the main barriers.

Depending on what time of day it is Pet Checkin can be busy. Early in the morning you will sail through, at peak times it might take an hour or more so make sure you allow plenty of time. They aren’t sympathetic if you say you’re going to miss your train.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It’s £18 each way.

You don’t need to do anything outbound.

When you’re coming back you need to do the vet thing 24-120 hours before and get the passport signed making sure the vet fills it in correctly then when you get there go to pet check in first. This is before the barriers so do not go through them. They will check the pet passport and give you a sticker for your windscreen. You can then go through the main barriers.

Depending on what time of day it is Pet Checkin can be busy. Early in the morning you will sail through, at peak times it might take an hour or more so make sure you allow plenty of time. They aren’t sympathetic if you say you’re going to miss your train.
Thanks for the info, the lack of sympathy reminds me of airport security, not caring if you miss your flight.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for the info, the lack of sympathy reminds me of airport security, not caring if you miss your flight.

It’s not that they don’t care so much as it’s made perfectly clear what you need to do so if you’re stupid enough to only get to pet checkin 10 minutes before your train time it’s your own fault.

I’ve seen that conversation a couple of times. It’s quite amusing. (y):D2

Last edited by a moderator:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Dog - when you book and include the dog Eurotunnel will provide you with an info sheet telling you exactly what to do about the pooch. We always return early morning, never been held up.

Headlamp deflectors - the law says you must have them although I've never heard of anybody being "done". It probably only matters if you are involved in an incident or, heaven forbid, an accident but I suppose there's always the chance too of a vehicle check - some jobsworth gendarme looking for his next fine notices a Brit registered van without them. Personally I affixed ours some years ago and they're still on, doesn't seem to be a problem for MoT.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
We were booked on the 09:20 train on Saturday. Arrived at pet passport at 07:40 and the que was horrendous - backed up past the dog excersis area. According to one of the staff members, had been since they opened at 06:30. Saying that with 4 staff on we were through by 08:00 and in duty free by 08:30. (y)(y) You scan your dog and they just check all records match. The only hold ups were from 2 couples not having the correct documents and 1 was wormed a lot earlier than the 5 days. You will also need to take in your booking reference number. Happy travels. :D2

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
We have used the tunnel many times with our 8.5 mtr sometimes with top box and bikes on back sometimes one but price and booking same
We have had to change our return dates and times a couple of times and
they have been most helpful and although we have used tesco vouchers for part payment they never charged for the change

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We were booked on the 09:20 train on Saturday. Arrived at pet passport at 07:40 and the que was horrendous - backed up past the dog excersis area. According to one of the staff members, had been since they opened at 06:30.

Last weekend of the school holidays. Always going to be like that.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also are there any discount codes as such ?

The cheapest way of booking is to use Tesco vouchers which have a x3 value. Once you exchange them you have to book on the phone not online.

The vouchers can't be used to pay the pet fee.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks, guess next time we will have to remember to save up the vouchers :)

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Headlamp stickers...........I’m lazy,so I just keep them handy in case French plod asks. Seldom drive at night,and always make sure lights are pointing down as far as possible..
Enjoy your trip,it may be a bit daunting first time,but it’s actually very easy,take your time!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Headlamp stickers.
£4.50 off ebay, had a set come yesterday as were off to Benidorm in the car Wednesday night (y)
For the small amount they cost I would rather have them on and not any worries.
BUT you do see many cars over there with no deflectors or GB stickers.

Glasses ?? Need a spare set kept in the vehicle for france and just useful anyway. My old pairs are always thrown in the glovebox when i replace with a new set.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I think headland stickers aren’t needed if you can adjust the headlights to suit either right hand or left hand lane travel. On my MH there’s a lever (which you need gibbon arms to use) which makes the adjustment.

It is a pain however and last time I went abroad, it was easier to put a sticker on!

Interestingly went over in the car in June. The technology on the car is such that, according to the manual, the car will know where you are by means of the sat nav, and automatically change the headlamp settings to suit! Incredible I thought! (Not clever enough to change speedo to KPH though, had to toggle through programs to find that one)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
He would, I have travelled over with a 3500kg van in freight and that was smaller than my current motorhome.
I thought i was doing right thing as taking stock over to Madrid, mistake really should have just gone over on normal train for less than 1/2 the price as no one ever checked.... Lesson learned..

He probably wouldn't. When I retired I had a part time job as a continental courier carrying aircraft spares, used to cross 4/5 times a month. A job came up just as we were just about to go to France one evening, so decided to take it in the MH. Booked as usual on freight since it is usually quicker at night, checked with the freight office that it was ok with a MH, but when I arrived, the duty manager decided that the plastic/fibreglass MH had ' to high a calorific value' and wouldn't let me travel. Had to wait an hour or so for next passenger shuttle.

Non stop 100 kmh drive through the night to La Rochelle, and just got there in time. Very very lucrative though! Slept well when we reached the P+R aire.

Malcolm

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I affixed ours some years ago and they're still on, doesn't seem to be a problem for MoT.
Providing they are fitted accurately so you get the correct flat dipping pattern they will pass an MOT but most people don't fit them that well.
Not recommended to leave them on for more than a few weeks if your headlamps are plastic as the adhesive migrates into the plastic and causes damage.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Providing they are fitted accurately so you get the correct flat dipping pattern they will pass an MOT but most people don't fit them that well.
Not recommended to leave them on for more than a few weeks if your headlamps are plastic as the adhesive migrates into the plastic and causes damage.

I use headlamp protectors, the proper ones have the positions marked.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think the requirement is not to dazzle on-coming motorists. If you are able to adapt them to dip 'extra low' you may be able to pass.
It seems strange that european vehicles do not have a simpler way to adjust their lights. It's not uncommon for LHD vehicles to visit RHD countries and vice versa.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are times other than at night when you are obliged to use headlights. Some tunnels require you to use them and they must be switched on in poor visibility ( heavy rain etc) otherwise you run the risk of being caught
However, we don’t have them fitted ( a new set is somewhere in the van) and we have been stopped by Customs, Police and Gendarmes and never questioned about the lack of deflectors.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Thanks, guess next time we will have to remember to save up the vouchers :)

I wouldn’t rush into that.

It means you have to shop at Tesco rather than Lidl etc and I am far from convinced it makes financial sense just for the sake of a crossing a few times a year.

It might feel like a bargain, but it ain’t ( I don’t think)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think the requirement is not to dazzle on-coming motorists. If you are able to adapt them to dip 'extra low' you may be able to pass.
It seems strange that european vehicles do not have a simpler way to adjust their lights. It's not uncommon for LHD vehicles to visit RHD countries and vice versa.
Our LHD Hymer headlights flat dip so no need for stickers(y)(y)(y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I wouldn’t rush into that.

It means you have to shop at Tesco rather than Lidl etc and I am far from convinced it makes financial sense just for the sake of a crossing a few times a year.
It might feel like a bargain, but it ain’t ( I don’t think)

Tend to agree, don't go out of your way just to get Tesco vouchers. However we use them all the time but have one of their biggest stores only a couple of minutes away. We also use Tesco Credit cards, making sure they're repaid in full every month. Plus we're both on Tesco mobile - not the cheapest around I'll agree but we hardly ever use the phones and the plans we are on suit us fine. Just filled the van up with 10p off a litre diesel ready for trip to Twin Lakes tomorrow with one of their occasional deals - got another voucher I'll use at Ashford as I believe even without the discount it's currently cheaper in UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back