Tunnel and Pet Passport shambles (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
About 3 years ago our dogs pet passport was full so we asked the vet for a new one, he said I can't do that but I will put some new pages in.
We have used this enlarged passport for the last 3 years on several occasions including at Eurotunnel.
This morning at 8.30 Madam Guillotine spotted the additional pages and said that it was illegal and we had to go to a French vet and get a new one.
After a heated discussion they would not budge and refused to accept it.
We headed straight for the ferry terminal and I went into the P & O ticket office and asked how much for the next crossing, frenchman said 168 euro, I said do I keep the boat.
Non he said.
Went into MyFerry and paid 111 euro. No problem with pet passport and now home.
We are going to sort out a new passport next week but be careful if you amend yours in any way especially using the tunnel.

Mike

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Get a new vet. I filled my own passport up in just 3 years living in the Middle East (a crossing of Saudi Arabia by road filled two pages) and the passport office had no problems issuing a new one even though it had several years left to run.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can't understand how a vet could add pages but couldn't issue a new passport. It's the vet that makes the pet passport official by writing in the chip number and stamping any vaccinations . The only thing that matches the animal to the passport is the chip number.
Not all vets can sign for rabies jabs ( don't know why) but if s/he had access to extra pages, should have had a new passport.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
About 3 years ago our dogs pet passport was full so we asked the vet for a new one, he said I can't do that but I will put some new pages in.
We have used this enlarged passport for the last 3 years on several occasions including at Eurotunnel.
This morning at 8.30 Madam Guillotine spotted the additional pages and said that it was illegal and we had to go to a French vet and get a new one.
After a heated discussion they would not budge and refused to accept it.
We headed straight for the ferry terminal and I went into the P & O ticket office and asked how much for the next crossing, frenchman said 168 euro, I said do I keep the boat.
Non he said.
Went into MyFerry and paid 111 euro. No problem with pet passport and now home.
We are going to sort out a new passport next week but be careful if you amend yours in any way especially using the tunnel.

Mike
I'm sorry to hear of your problems BUT the passport is a LEGAL DOCUMENT, just as it would be for a human being and should NOT be tampered with in any way ... adding 'extra pages' is tampering! Madam Guillotine was just doing her job ... to ensure that only pets with a VALID PASSPORT get back into the UK to PROTECT OUR OTHER PETS! I for one am grateful that she actually did what she should have where others have not.

I do not unfortunately have any sympathy for your predicament, empathy with your annoyance yes, but not sympathy - you have been using (inadvertently) an invalid passport for 3 years so should actually count yourself lucky that you didn't have worse done than just having to pay for a ferry crossing! You could very easily have not been allowed to travel at all or have the expense of having to hang around for a few days/weeks whilst it was all sorted out, one way or another. None of the passport officials should have ever let you travel with your pet using that 'tampered' passport - not one which is a BIG concern for those of us who do NOT want rabies etc brought back to the UK - I'm not for one minute suggesting that you would have done this if there was an issue with your dog, but other unscrupulous individuals who have 'tampered' with passports intentionally to avoid having to pay for vet fees/vaccinations etc should be stopped and this obviously is not happening from what you have said and it is a BIG concern.

If anyone uses a 'tampered with' passport they should expect there to be consequences and it is very unfair to try to blame this on Eurotunnel when the lady was only doing her job!

If I were you I would be heading directly back to my vet and playing merry hell with them and getting them to pay for your ferry! I'd also be reporting them to DEFRA for infringing the terms of the Pet Passport scheme ... if they are doing this for you you can be sure they're doing it for others who could easily suffer the same fate!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can't understand how a vet could add pages but couldn't issue a new passport. It's the vet that makes the pet passport official by writing in the chip number and stamping any vaccinations . The only thing that matches the animal to the passport is the chip number.
Not all vets can sign for rabies jabs ( don't know why) but if s/he had access to extra pages, should have had a new passport.
Totally agree - our Romy is now on her second passport as her first was completely full (not the 'health check' but the rabies etc vaccination bit) and our vet did a new one for her - can't remember the cost but I think it was about £20-£30. Mikeco's vet seems to be incompetent as regards the Pet Passport scheme.

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
I have to say that I'm not sure the vets in the UK understand how rigourous the checks are to bring our pets back to the UK. Checks that have been set by DEFRA, I hasten to add. We have a rescue labrador who was chipped prior to us adopting him and we went through our vet to obtain a passport so that he could accompany us on our foreign excursions. All was well until we arrived at the pet check in at Calais Eurotunnel. He wasn't allowed through because the date of micro chipping had been left blank because our vet obviously didn't know it and neither did we. They were adamant that we couldn't board. After much discussion, we contacted our vet in the UK and got him to fax through a letter to say that our dog was chipped prior to the rabies vaccination being administered. A bloody palaver and needless to say we missed our train on a busy weekend crossing so muchos delays.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
its a complete farce everytime weve traveled back we are in the motor home the dog is on the floor of the motor home where the person in the booth cant see the dog they then hand us the scanner to scan the dog we could have the chip in our hand and a different dog in the van or we could have several dogs in the van there is no viewed evidence that we have the correct dog

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I have to say that I'm not sure the vets in the UK understand how rigourous the checks are to bring our pets back to the UK. Checks that have been set by DEFRA, I hasten to add. We have a rescue labrador who was chipped prior to us adopting him and we went through our vet to obtain a passport so that he could accompany us on our foreign excursions. All was well until we arrived at the pet check in at Calais Eurotunnel. He wasn't allowed through because the date of micro chipping had been left blank because our vet obviously didn't know it and neither did we. They were adamant that we couldn't board. After much discussion, we contacted our vet in the UK and got him to fax through a letter to say that our dog was chipped prior to the rabies vaccination being administered. A bloody palaver and needless to say we missed our train on a busy weekend crossing so muchos delays.

This almost happened to us, having lost the pet passport we paid the vet for a new one. Didn`t really look at it (stupid I know). Arrived at Calais and guy was looking puzzled at the PP, he then handed it back saying the date he was chipped was blank. Not the vets fault as he was chipped by the breeder before we had him. He indicted that we should fill it in which we did. Needless to say we didn`t think it through (being in a bit of a flap at the time) and just put a date when he was a few months old. He handed it back again saying the date needed to be before the rabies jab, we crossed the first date out and put in the new one, he then let us through.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
its a complete farce everytime weve traveled back we are in the motor home the dog is on the floor of the motor home where the person in the booth cant see the dog they then hand us the scanner to scan the dog we could have the chip in our hand and a different dog in the van or we could have several dogs in the van there is no viewed evidence that we have the correct dog
I agree but I can't see how the system can be improved. If someone has a passport for, say, a specific colour GSD, then extracts the chip from the animal, it could be used to bring in any number of similar dogs. As long as the dogs were GSDs with similar colouring it would take an expert breeder or someone with similar skills to recognise an individual animal from a photo. And the chip can easily be hidden in the animals fur.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The requirement for the rear pages of the pet passport to be filled out to the effect that the animal is fit to travel has not been required for some time, here is an extract from the March DEFRA guidance notes,

"Section IX: Clinical examination

Fitness for travel

Whilst the entry for clinical examination is not required to be completed for the movement of dogs and cats to other EU countries, some transport companies may still require owners to produce evidence of an animal’s fitness to travel.

Veterinarians may, therefore, complete section IX of the passport if they wish to do so. Alternatively, the following statement could be used as a guide if issuing a letter to a client regarding an animal’s fitness to travel:

“On (enter date), I examined the animal described in UK pet passport serial no (enter number) and found it to be free from clinical sign of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit for travel.”

Which means that when the pages at the rear age full there is no need to add pages. There are only ten pages for "fitness to travel" but there are fifteen for echinococcus (worming) so the passport will not have to be renewed unil these fifteen are full. That is if course if your carrier does not require a fitness certificate which I don't believe Eurotunnel or the ferries do.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
In agreement to the above. I managed to be put through by phone to a vet at eurotunnel Calais to doublecheck the information I had been given by the DEFRA helpline that I need not worry that the 'Fitness to travel' section was full. He confirmed that it was not needed because they work for DEFRA and DEFRA do not require it, I have his name :) Having said that, any quibbles on the day....we would just turn around again! Janie
Oh yes, no statement from vet required either as strictly speaking an addition like that is not 'legal' as not in the right section. I suppose it might make you feel more 'armed'!

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In agreement to the above. I managed to be put through by phone to a vet at eurotunnel Calais to doublecheck the information I had been given by the DEFRA helpline that I need not worry that the 'Fitness to travel' section was full. He confirmed that it was not needed because they work for DEFRA and DEFRA do not require it, I have his name :) Having said that, any quibbles on the day....we would just turn around again! Janie
Oh yes, no statement from vet required either as strictly speaking an addition like that is not 'legal' as not in the right section. I suppose it might make you feel more 'armed'!

Thats interesting, I didn't realise Eurotunnel employed vets, or had anything to do with DEFRA. I thought the pet check in people were Eurotunnel employees simply making sure we adhered to DEFRA rules because carriers are required to ensure they do not allow passengers to transport animals that are not covered by the pet passport scheme. Do you mean you spoke to someone at the pet check in desk

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes, a vet, a proper vet, at the pet passport control at Eurotunnel, who, at least when there, works for DEFRA. To be fair, I have no idea who pays the wages! But DEFRA (the special helpline) told me twice (two phone calls) the Pet Passport Control work for DEFRA, they are checking what we require them to check, which is now just that the animal is chipped with the correctly corresponding numbered chip, the rabies vaccination is valid and that the correct wormer has been given. Passport stamped appropriately. Not verbatim but essentially how the conversations went, it was two phone calls to them (DEFRA helpline) as the first call to Eurotunnel they would not put me through to France and did not give me the answer I hoped for so I double checked. Janie :)

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes, a vet, a proper vet, at the pet passport control at Eurotunnel, who, at least when there, works for DEFRA. To be fair, I have no idea who pays the wages! But DEFRA (the special helpline) told me twice (two phone calls) the Pet Passport Control work for DEFRA, they are checking what we require them to check, which is now just that the animal is chipped with the correctly corresponding numbered chip, the rabies vaccination is valid and that the correct wormer has been given. Passport stamped appropriately. Not verbatim but essentially how the conversations went, it was two phone calls to them (DEFRA helpline) as the first call to Eurotunnel they would not put me through to France and did not give me the answer I hoped for so I double checked. Janie :)

Thanks thats good useful information. Nice to know there is someone present with some proper knowledge rather than just a lay person checking the paperwork.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I don't wish to challenge this but, having recently witnessed a number of obviously under age bulldog puppies being transported to the UK in Latvian registered vans, we arranged for the registration numbers to be reported to UK border control, Folkestone police and the RSPCA, we were informed by all three that as the puppies had been accepted for travel by the "French", there was nothing that could be done to stop them. Surely, even the most incompetent of vet's or DEFRA employee would have immediately recognised a puppy who could hardly stand as being too young to qualify.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I don't wish to challenge this but, having recently witnessed a number of obviously under age bulldog puppies being transported to the UK in Latvian registered vans, we arranged for the registration numbers to be reported to UK border control, Folkestone police and the RSPCA, we were informed by all three that as the puppies had been accepted for travel by the "French", there was nothing that could be done to stop them. Surely, even the most incompetent of vet's or DEFRA employee would have immediately recognised a puppy who could hardly stand as being too young to qualify.

Were the puppies presented to Eurotunnel pet check in?

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
Yes they were, this was witnessed by a number of people all who could not believe what was going on, they were accepted for travel without question. There were at least six vehicles, all were presented separately, it was only that there were severe delays in the tunnel which caused them all to arrive in the car park.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The age at which they can legally travel is 12 weeks which is an EU ruling and doesn't relate to the Pet Passport scheme. So if an animal is entering the UK from an EU country (no matter where it originated) I assume it will be deemed to have complied with the rules. As far as the Pet Passport scheme is concerned it would appear that the animal need only be old enough for the rabies post-vaccination check to be successful (which may or may not be 12 weeks) as certified by a Vet.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Yes they were, this was witnessed by a number of people all who could not believe what was going on, they were accepted for travel without question. There were at least six vehicles, all were presented separately, it was only that there were severe delays in the tunnel which caused them all to arrive in the car park.

I am really interested in this so please excuse my questions, its not that I doubt what you say but I want to be clear what happened.

When you say "accepted without question" do you mean that they were examined for microchip and vaccination certificate examined. If that was the case, it would have been within the DEFRA requirements. As has been said, the animals only need to be 12 weeks old and have had vaccination followed by post vaccination check. Importation would therefore be perfectly legal.

On the other hand the phrase "accepted without question" could be taken to mean that there was no microchip or vaccination check at all which would to be legal and would make a mockery of the scheme, not to say our £30 fee to Eurotunnel a questionable expense.

I doubt that Eurotunnel or any other carrier can refuse to transport dogs provide the DEFRA rules are complied with. I don't like puppy farmers whatever country they come from and I think what you saw was awful, but as you probably know these dogs are vary popular and very expensive in the UK at the moment.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
It was clear to all who witnessed it that though these puppies or at least some of them were accepted at check in, they were simply too young. Up to 12 weeks a puppy is unable to develop its own antibodies, Rabies vaccine should therefor only be given after 12 weeks, the entry requirements are at least 21 days after vaccination, ergo no puppy younger than 15 weeks should be entering the UK. I would guess that these pups were around eight weeks or younger.

This practice has I now believe been the subject of at least two TV documentaries though unfortunately I didn't see either of them.

If you research this subject as I have subsequently, it is clear that this is now a massive problem, involving forged documents or, simply using the same documents for a number of consignments, apparently the microchip is in the dogs collar not the dog or, simply held in the owners hand so, the same passport can be used a number of times for different puppies. Eurotunnel staff simply hand the pet owner the scanner. Eurotunnel are authorised by DEFRA as an approved transporter, the check in is staffed by Eurotunnel and the staff are mostly French. As part of the scheme, the vehicle is required to display the badge provided at check in which has a symbol on it to show their are animals on board until it arrives in the UK. Without exception the vehicles in question had their boarding cards concealed.

Under the rules, the carrier is ultimately responsible so, yes they can refuse if they have doubts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back