Tuning & Chipping (1 Viewer)

Mar 4, 2018
Reading
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
Hi, I’ve been Motor-homing for five years now. I renewed my insurance this week. Same company, same details and as usual the two minute job took twenty!

For the first time one of the questions (Recorded for training etc...........) was: Has my van been chipped or tuned? Mine hasn’t, the 150 in standard seems to fit our needs. My question is.”Has anyone had the same question and how much if any did it increase the premium?”

I know in the normal scheme of things you would declare it to be insured.

Thanks

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I had our Rapido re-mapped 3litre Mercedes lump now 224 bhp and lots of torque, just advised Saga and they checked with underwriters and said ok no problem.
No increase in premium.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, I’ve been Motor-homing for five years now. I renewed my insurance this week. Same company, same details and as usual the two minute job took twenty!

For the first time one of the questions (Recorded for training etc...........) was: Has my van been chipped or tuned? Mine hasn’t, the 150 in standard seems to fit our needs. My question is.”Has anyone had the same question and how much if any did it increase the premium?”

I know in the normal scheme of things you would declare it to be insured.

Thanks

In the event of a claim are the Loss Adjusters going to be checking the ECU?

The report stated that the increased torque of this MH enabled it to achieve 65 mph up the hill when it hit the back of the truck limited to 90kph which it could not have done if not re-mapped. Claim denied.

I do not think so.

Geoff

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If a loss-adjuster can find some way to avoid the insurance company paying out he/she will - that's their job.

Although I shouldn't imagine it's a standard check for them, if they got so much as a hint it had been done and not advised to the insurance company they would.

Too much at stake for me - let them know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
May 14, 2019
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2019
I have just been sorting out insurance for our first motorhome. We have insured with Comfort and they told me that the premium would not increase if we remapped a Ducato from 130 to 150bhp. I guess there is a chance that they would never find out but I don't think I would bother risking it as many insurers don't seem too concerned about it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back