Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
It seems to be a modern trait to laugh at someones downfall or struggle.... I dont get it to be honest.

If we didn't find other peoples misfortune funny, then we wouldn't have TV programmes like "You've Been Framed'. Its human nature so get over it. I think I'd get upset at a person who laughed at someone being injured but having been there to pick up the pieces when people really do get injured I can assure you that the injured parties tend to have a laugh at themselves when the adrenalin wears off! Lets just agree to disagree & have a giggle when something funny happens.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
There's trailers and then there's trailers, 40 footers, fine. 20ft caravan, fine. 4ft trailer makes me look like an amateur the little bar steward! :mad: :LOL:

If you can't see it you can't reverse it, 4' camping trailers behind a car no chance, 3' trailer behind my lawn tractor no problem because I can see it, I thought I would get away with our 12' Ifor Williams we use for car and trailer training behind our 6.5 ton C1 training vehicle no chanc had to buy a longer trailer just so it could be seen.

Now I have nearly as many trailers as trucks :roflmto:

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I must say we do keep half an eye on what the caravanners are up to when they arrive on site. Whereas we take less than 5 minutes to get set up - I plug in the power and turn the gas on while she turns the cab seats round and puts the kettle on.

The downfall of quite a few caravanners seems to be - awnings. They do seem to take an age to set up especially when its raining and after 30 minutes of struggling to thread the edge of the awning along the channel on the side of the caravan it turns out they have it back to front and have to start again!

We have seen people spend literally 2 hours setting up their awning and making it look perfect on a Friday evening only to pull it all down again and go home on Sunday.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If we didn't find other peoples misfortune funny, then we wouldn't have TV programmes like "You've Been Framed'. Its human nature so get over it. I think I'd get upset at a person who laughed at someone being injured but having been there to pick up the pieces when people really do get injured I can assure you that the injured parties tend to have a laugh at themselves when the adrenalin wears off! Lets just agree to disagree & have a giggle when something funny happens.

There is a big difference between something that happens spontaneous and waiting for people to fall down.... And don't tell me to get over anything it's very patronising.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I've always called a caravan awning "a divorce in a bag" (the word divorce is latin for the removal of a man's genitals through his wallet) & when I had a caravan, I avoided it like the plague. :( On the few occasions that I have succumbed to putting an awning up, we used the threaded pegs that you use the drill to drive into the ground. :whistle: I have a drive away awning for our motorhome but its never even been out of the bag & is unlikely to ever be erect (if you'll pardon the saying).:)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I still cant reverse it round a corner with any accuracy to save my life :doh:. I know the theory, but get brain freeze :wub:

My ability to reverse a trailer is directly dependent upon how many people are watching me :)

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
On a sideways sloping site in the Creuze area a tugger pulled in next to us.
I do not Lie it took him two and a half hours to park it!
The corner to the side of my van was propped up on a four foot stack of bricks!!!
Did my nerves no good!
Next salute tugger pulls in on our other side, swings round on the pitch and knocks the EHU post over!

T'other side of the tale, just after these two pillocks two young women pull in towing a large Hobby caravan brand new. One swing in and they were sipping wine two minutes later!

That's the way to do it he he

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Started as a tent camper, then caravan when the kids came along, then trailer tent as the kids grew into teenanagers/adults. Then tenting again with the motorbike, a caravan while the house was being built, and then we become motorhomers.
All in all I think we've done it all.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The wife's hand signals to "help" with reversing had us rolling on the floor!
I don't think Shirl would appreciate you talking about her like that.

Last weekend she "guided" me on pitch waving me back with outstretched arm.....directly over her head.
If I got any lower in my seat to see her hand signals in the door mirror I could have given myself a ****job.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Reminds me nicely of our first ever night away in our first MH, we went to a favourite CL (from caravanning days) near Gatehouse of Fleet, arrived virtually in the dark, luckily new the lie of the land as had been quite a few times. The site is on a beach, drove to where I wanted to park, reversed, then Bev says what do we do next

We had full water, full gas (already turned on) AES fridge, empty toilet, so as I started to turn my seat said, would you mind getting me a beer, but then what says Bev, nothing, we are here :):)

Never looked back (y)

motorhome 018.JPG

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I saw one flip on the motorway a few years ago.

It was travelling along quite happily and then started to fishtail. The driver apparently didn't know what do as he did nothing, so over it went. The car went nose down into the road surface.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I saw one flip on the motorway a few years ago.

It was travelling along quite happily and then started to fishtail. The driver apparently didn't know what do as he did nothing, so over it went. The car went nose down into the road surface.
I saw a Bedford rascal/Honda acti-van laid on its side on the hard shoulder attached to a smallish (but much bigger than the van) single axle caravan......also on its side.
The weight match must have been taken from a story book.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Cant be doing with taking pixx out of peoples troubles offer to help,

JaG

Oct 30, 2008
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2008
CandC - you really do need to be turning your head and watching the 'Chuggers'. Some don't realise that 'reverse' is there so that they can back up their square vehicle easily into a space. Having marshaled a few motorhome rallies watching some trying to reverse is entertainment (then frustration) as others arrive and held up because 'Mr Chugger' cannot comprehend 'straight'. Only a few I admit...then again only a few Tuggers' as well.
My outfit is 42 foot long...8m long and 2.4m wide caravan and, if you want to watch me reverse in and set up you will have to be quick because you will be still mashing your tea when I am putting the kettle on.
Oh and by the way yes, I used to be a motorhomer too, been 'mobile for 41 years however, due to wife's disablement it cannot work for us, so I do know what I am talking about.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
I will help if needed, but some campers do make me laugh.
One in the Lake district a few years ago, had a brand new Buerstner tag axle, and trailer with a trike on it. A nice chap, but, more money than sense. '98 grand for the MH', he boasted, '30 grand for the trike to be built', blah, blah. :yawn2:
He had nosed onto his pitch, and when he came to leave a few days later, i asked if he wanted a hand with his trailer, thinking he would put it on the roadway, reverse out and hook up. 'No, no', he says. 'I will hook up and drive across the grass in front and on to the perimeter road'.
OK, you've guessed it, he waves, climbs aboard, pulls forward......... and got stuck................:rofl: A bollocking from the owner,:swear2: and a tractor tow later, saw him slope off with his face a red as Postman Pats van and his missus hiding under the seat. :rofl:

Craig

Hammie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff Arto
Exp
newbie/2015
I guess those of you with full size sinks and showers, with an endless supply of hot water would find it strange that those of us with slightly more limited accommodation would choose to use the site facilities on the odd occasion that we use a site. We do whatever is most convenient for us at any given time - if it's pouring with rain, then we're probably not going to walk to the toilet block. I assume that everyone else does whatever is most convenient for them - I don't find this at all baffling. I don't judge others, nor am I ever so desperate for something to do that I would regard watching other people going about their daily business as a form of entertainment.

Steve
Well said. Unless there is water on the pitch I use the shower block. Perhaps not in the winter though.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I once saw a caravan's wheel come completely off on a Motorway. It was looking wobbly as it overtook me so I gave it some distance. A few seconds later he was scraping an axle and making sparks. When he pulled into the hard shoulder I stopped long enough to helpfully point out where his wheel had rolled, then I left him to it - I don't like hard shoulders.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Mmmmmmmm I remember having Caravans I really don't mind them and would happily have another..........but never again an awning.........we never argue an awning bugger close to divorce........the only other thing that got us that close was buying a washer & dryer in America that's a whole different story and if you want a laugh ask me about it at a meet somewhere, sorry back to the subject tent caravan Motorhome or 40' RV were all doing the same enjoying ourselves.........though when marshalling one meet I did get exaperated enough to ask one gent with a 35' fifth well trailer to get out and let me do it after 1/2 hour of buggering about trying to do a 20' straight line reverse :wasntme:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
It seems to be a modern trait to laugh at someones downfall or struggle.... I dont get it to be honest.
I would think the great majority of us were once tenters then tuggers so we've all been there and done that but when you've twice witnessed people putting up an awning frame and then dragging the awning onto it you just don't know whether to laugh or cry, and before you say it there's no way you can help these folk for fear of ripping the awning and getting the blame. Maybe we're laughing at ourselves a lot of the time remembering earlier memories? I have read somewhere that laughing originates with some form of embarrassment? It's not a modern trait by any means, its life.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I would think the great majority of us were once tenters then tuggers so we've all been there and done that but when you've twice witnessed people putting up an awning frame and then dragging the awning onto it you just don't know whether to laugh or cry, and before you say it there's no way you can help these folk for fear of ripping the awning and getting the blame. Maybe we're laughing at ourselves a lot of the time remembering earlier memories? I have read somewhere that laughing originates with some form of embarrassment? It's not a modern trait by any means, its life.

Nicely put my friend... As above spontaneous mistakes are or can be hilarious. We all have a laugh at that. But if we can step in and help do we ? Well I do ...

We only bought our MH a few months ago and dopey here couldn't work out how to fill the what looked like full loo with water.... Cos it looked like it was full.. Mmmmmm. After much looking in tinterweb fingy I sussed it had the typical siphon thing... Thr drenny popped of course. We all have to start somewhere eh o_Oo_O

But watching someone struggle while amusing to many is something I cant do.. I have the daftest and wickedest humour honest... But watching and taking the piss is not something that comes easy.................

Reactions: DBK
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Nicely put my friend... As above spontaneous mistakes are or can be hilarious. We all have a laugh at that. But if we can step in and help do we ? Well I do ...

We only bought our MH a few months ago and dopey here couldn't work out how to fill the what looked like full loo with water.... Cos it looked like it was full.. Mmmmmm. After much looking in tinterweb fingy I sussed it had the typical siphon thing... Thr drenny popped of course. We all have to start somewhere eh o_Oo_O

But watching someone struggle while amusing to many is something I cant do.. I have the daftest and wickedest humour honest... But watching and taking the piss is not something that comes easy.................
Cheers Charlie, we've always helped wherever we've been when we've realised that guys are having problems of any kind. Latest one was a guy trying to activate his motor mover with his handbrake full-on! the van dipped a few times till I sauntered past him and whispered that he'd not released the brake as it was in the full upright position.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
I would think the great majority of us were once tenters then tuggers so we've all been there and done that but when you've twice witnessed people putting up an awning frame and then dragging the awning onto it you just don't know whether to laugh or cry,

At this stage (when we witnessed this ) I had to get off my backside & go over & explain politely where they were going wrong ( I couldn't sit & watch them damage their caravan or awning),
Yep you've guess it , I & my friend ended putting the whole dam thing up for them ( good deed done)
got free beer !!!
then got an ear bashing from our wives plus a few neighbours for ruining there entertainment.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
I've watched a few motorhomers being a bit anal about levelling their vans.
One in particular was a young couple in a 4x4 Sprinter conversion. The aire couldn't have been flatter but they still had to drive up onto levelling blocks!:giggle:
The funniest was in St Valery when one poor, clueless guy had the blocks too close to the curbstones and ended up stuck between the curb and the blocks!:ROFLMAO:
And on another aire, Madame guiding hubby right off the end of the blocks - oops.o_O

The only thing about tuggers that I can't understand is why they all have to put up their awning, which is often much larger than their caravan:whistle:

It's good to be smug!:cool:

Diesel

Free Member
Oct 7, 2015
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
im a newbie
We would set up tents and look at Caravaners with a touch of envy thinking how quick they set up, we bought 2 x air tents this year to speed up pitch time - trouble is as soon as we had 2 tents the inlaws came away with us so double set up and pack away. As a impulse purchase bought our 1st MH this summer and just love the fact we can do weekends although not got the hang of levelling it yet - must admit I do miss being under canvas when weather is good though :D

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
My apologies if it seems like I "lit the blue touch paper and stood well back" on this thread.... We've been far too busy having fun with on site activities and exploring the area (ok so I know the area really well but it's little C's first time in Newquay) for me to read all the posts, let alone do a proper reply :)

Talking of which.... Breakfast time and then we're off swimming again (y)

Back later ;)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Whilst the antics of others can be amusing, it goes for tuggers and Motorhomes alike. The ones I sometimes do feel tempted to laugh at are those who have modern units with toilets and showers but prefer to trip the light fantastic in their dressing gowns across a campsite in the peeing rain to use a toilet and shower someone else has just vacated. Not that I use campsites often, hardly ever actually but it seems whenever I do the "bog runners" seem to be about.

Each to their own I suppose.

I for one, don't understand why you wouldn't use a clean toilet, just as you would if out and about in a shopping area or pub, if it's clean, why not. But more than that, I don't understand what is wrong with using a clean shower, when I grew up in the 1940's I used worse than that and what is wrong with going to the toilet area in a dressing gown, slip it off and shower, or is it better to go fully dressed then try and take all your clothes off in a damp shower, then afterwards, try and put on your nice clean clothes.......or the same dirty ones, just so that you can look.......well proper like.........on the "Bog run"

Peter Sansom

Free Member
May 22, 2015
peebles
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
A relative newbie...ex caravanner
Was a tugger myself. Got round the smirks of campers (including other tuggers) at my hit or miss reversing by fitting a mover. OK its cheating a bit but quite a bit of fun playing with the remote to manoeuvre the van with pin point accuracy, plus the disappointed faces on the next pitch when they saw you were not going to make a plonker of yourself. Still marvel at how quick it is to get onto a pitch and have the kettle on in minutes with the mh though. Not to mention how much easier it is to embark/disembark ferries

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back