Tubular Heater - what wattage? (1 Viewer)

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Looking to get a tubular heater to keep the chill off the motor home over the winter. We have a 7.6m autotrail dakota. What size / wattage would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for replies

Nigel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Personally I wouldn't heat a van.. it's not required and if the heater goes on fire.. your insurance won't pay out.. I know it's a very small risk.. but it it one worth taking for little or no benefit ?

To protect from frost damage, drain down the hot and cold lines, fresh and waste tanks.. leave the taps and drains open.. not forgetting the shower mixer.. drain the hot water tank.. Leave the locker doors open.. make sure there is adequate ventilation and you won't have any problems..

I also have the EHU cable connected and put the battery on charge for a coupe of days every two weeks or so..

That's what I do .. others will say otherwise..

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
or..if you have EHU (guessing you do as you'd need it to run the tubular heater!!)

just leave your heating on its lowest setting...but still open cupboards etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
Thanks guys I was looking at 1 of these, but will go with drain down option(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I use a 60W tubular heater & a de-humidifier. Still drain down though.
We have a 60w tube heater in the downstairs karzy.

Makes a lovely hand warmer if you wrap your hands round it but as a room heater....dream on.

If 60w was any good simply leave the light on...chances are its also 60w.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Had a low wattage greenhouse heater in our caravan few years ago as constantly on added £100 to electric bill in one winter! Replaced with cheapie Tesco oil filled radiator & kept on frost setting so would only cut in when really cold & dehumidifier set to cut in when quite damp - much lower running costs & kept it dry & aired. Didn't feel the need to use either in the motorhome last winter as stored in a better well drained spot & it has plenty of ventilation built in which worked even under cover as it's a breatheable one(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have a 60w tube heater in the downstairs karzy.

Makes a lovely hand warmer if you wrap your hands round it but as a room heater....dream on.

If 60w was any good simply leave the light on...chances are its also 60w.
Typo - it's 600W with a frost 'stat :oops:

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We are always on EHU as the van is in the drive, so we just set the heating on low and forget about it, stops the boiler auto drain tap kicking in as well, mind you for the worst three months of the year were in Spain. :)

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi we use a 200 watt tubular heater over the winter with a timer, set to come on about 4 am and off around 10 am we have found that it reduces the damp cold feel of our 2nd home, regardless of if you need it or not we find it keeps the van ready to go as we use it all year round and occaisionally when were not using it I will put the air contitioner on at 23degrees for a couple of hours just to "warm the fabric of the van" there is no science behind it its just what we do - hope this helps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back