Trying To Determine What Is Faulty (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There is another thread running on problems with oyster not locking on to satelltes. .
Something to do with transponder frequencies that have recently changed for different satelltes. ..
Is that something the software updates you have installed would take care of or a different issue worth looking at...
Andy

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
So now the Snipe 2 has been upgraded to the latest firmware I have again tried to lock onto satellites. No luck, Eutel 5 only, what explanation can this be? I still haven't had any opportunity to buy replacement cables. I'm very tempted to cut the Black one shorter to see if this makes any difference.

Are both cables the same inside?
DON'T you be cutting cables!:eek: There's another thread running where another Funster has replaced the factory cables with shorter ones. That's the best way to go so you've still got the factory ones available.

Think your on to a process of eliminate!
I see you've tested the Icecrypt box and it appears OK.
Have you tested the TV? Anybody about you can ask to plug your TV into their system? If not -
  • Can you plug your Mac into the TV via your HDMI cable? Does it work?
  • Does your hard disc (with movies on it) still work?
  • Do you still have your Status aerial on the roof? If so, does the TV work with that?
If those work think you could eliminate the TV.

Once you've done that you'll then need to go through the other system elements, controller, cabling, etc.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I see you've tested the Icecrypt box and it appears OK.
Have you tested the TV? Anybody about you can ask to plug your TV into their system? If not -
  • Can you plug your Mac into the TV via your HDMI cable? Does it work? No my mac doesn't use HDMI
  • Does your hard disc (with movies on it) still work? I don't have it with me but council tv and DVDs work
  • Do you still have your Status aerial on the roof? If so, does the TV work with that? Yes

Ok we have tried using a spare piece of grey wire to replace the black wire. Made no difference, the dish is still only finding Eutel 5 and nothing else.

Can we just confirm that the icecrypt receiver box does not have to be on? I have tried it on and off ...Another story will follow later on this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ok we have tried using a spare piece of grey wire to replace the black wire. Made no difference, the dish is still only finding Eutel 5 and nothing else.

Can we just confirm that the icecrypt receiver box does not have to be on? I have tried it on and off ...Another story will follow later on this.
Found this on an online search.

Might it be worth a try?
Others with the Snipe set-up might be able to advise if any risks with doing so?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Found this on an online search.

Might it be worth a try?
Others with the Snipe set-up might be able to advise if any risks with doing so?

Thanks , I found that earlier but it doesn't relate The Snipe 2. I think the update I have just carried out would reset the controller.

Now starting to think its just a coincidence that the Snipe stopped working after Alan routed the cables in wardrobe/boiler.

Just tried another section of the grey wire that was shortened and tested for resistance, but still no luck so I guess its either got to be the controller or the Snipe thats faulty :-( Just not grasping why it gets Eutel 5 though.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks , I found that earlier but it doesn't relate The Snipe 2. I think the update I have just carried out would reset the controller.

Now starting to think its just a coincidence that the Snipe stopped working after Alan routed the cables in wardrobe/boiler.

Just tried another section of the grey wire that was shortened and tested for resistance, but still no luck so I guess its either got to be the controller or the Snipe thats faulty :-( Just not grasping why it gets Eutel 5 though.
If you've changed all the cabling and confirmed the Icecrypt and TV is OK it would point me towards the dish or controller.
Is the dish only getting a strong enough signal from Eutel 5 so that's the only one it can find?
Whatever you do don't bin the thing until you get home so I can come round and midgy rake in the middle of the night!:whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Do you know anyone close by who has a snipe and you could try their controller with your dish to eliminate that

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It’s now looking more likely it’s the LNB in the Snipe that’s faulty.

Does anyone know what type it uses. Is it offset or prime focus? We have an engineer coming to look at it 2mir but he hasn’t came across a snipe 2 before.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back