Trying To Determine What Is Faulty (1 Viewer)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I wonder if its my new Icecrypt 1700 or my old Avtex 163 thats gone faulty.

The Icecrypt is new and been used once and all was well. I have to say I am not familiar with this. Went to use it a few days ago and it didn't work. Lit up but nothing showed on tv by selecting HDMI 1 or 2 ..Swapped the lead from 1 to 2.:confused: Sometimes the screen would go black and other times it would show no signal and blue background.

We came to the conclusion that the extra wire that was under the wardrobe might have got affected and melted by the boiler so we shortened the lead. Tried it again and this time showed a green light which corresponds exactly with when satellite locks on. Great I thought, but nope still nothing from ice crypt on screen.

We do get council telly on the Avtex.

Clutching at straws ..Next I thought I would try returning Avtex to factory settings and now all I get from both HDMI ports is blue background with no signal words, so not even getting black screen now.

As its Sunday night and places to ring are closed, who better to turn to than you knowledgeable lot.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Which lead did you shorten ?
The LNB in that comes from Snipe 2 on the roof to the ice crypt box.

I'm thinking maybe something has short circuited but again I'm grasping at straws and no other tv to test ice crypt with and nothing else to test the Avtex HDMI with either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
So there you go,get the torch out that @andy63 sent you,get up on the roof and start checking your connections.
Has it worked since you left it up? :doh:

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So there you go,get the torch out that @andy63 sent you,get up on the roof and start checking your connections.
Has it worked since you left it up? :doh:
Yes its worked, it even closes by itself :) Alan has already been up on the roof and all looks fine.

I'm thinking something has short circuited or The TV needs to be told to turn on HDMI, like it needs to be told to turn on DivX

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We had a similar problem recently and it turned out to be the connection to the dome.
Was that from the satellite receiver to dome? It would make sense, seemed to be the problem at the start.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Have you put a tester on the bit of cable you cut off to see if it was damaged? Shame you fiddled with the TV at least it was telling you something originally :D
I'd still go for rechecking the connections first.

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Was that from the satellite receiver to dome? It would make sense, seemed to be the problem at the start.
Yes, my dealer sorted it ... I believe it was just a loose connection which moisture had got in. They cleaned it up and covered the cable entry with heat shrink.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I thought the cables that connected to the dish were both factory supplied cables... unlikely to be faulty unless they have been damaged since installation etc..
It should be easy enough to check cables ie shielding and central core for continuity and short with your meter. ..
Andy

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just had a very similar issue, it was the hdmi lead. moving the tv on the bracket strained the plug

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
just had a very similar issue, it was the hdmi lead. moving the tv on the bracket strained the plug
Thx but tried another one. What I have just found out is changed source on Tv to 16.9 and now screen goes black which it used to do immediately before icecrypt came up but now the green light I spoke of earlier on the icecrypt isn’t coming on. Just the clock. Weird eh.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok giving up. Back to green light in icecrypt but also blue screen no signal on Avtex. Will call them and Icecrypt tomorrow and report back.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Have you checked the 12v, I’ve seen this before when the voltage was low

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When you turn the Icecrypt on you should see the Icecrypt boot screen on the TV. So if nothing but a black or blue screen either the Icecrypt or TV is faulty.
Could also try selecting "menu" on the Icecrypt and see if you get the menu screen, if you do it is possibly no signal into the Icecrypt.
Easy to check the TV just plug another HDMI device into the HDMI port.
Also you could connect the Icecrypt to a TV in the house and see you get the boot screen or menu.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
When you turn the Icecrypt on you should see the Icecrypt boot screen on the TV. So if nothing but a black or blue screen either the Icecrypt or TV is faulty.
Could also try selecting "menu" on the Icecrypt and see if you get the menu screen, if you do it is possibly no signal into the Icecrypt.
Easy to check the TV just plug another HDMI device into the HDMI port.
Also you could connect the Icecrypt to a TV in the house and see you get the boot screen or menu.
Yes I could try those options if I had another tv or sat box. At best after messing with HDMI leads I get a faint menu screen from ice crypt box with green background and wiggly lines.

Hopefully will take it in somewhere next week to get it looked at if I can't catch up with @bigtree who has the same icecrypt.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes I could try those options if I had another tv or sat box. At best after messing with HDMI leads I get a faint menu screen from ice crypt box with green background and wiggly lines.

Hopefully will take it in somewhere next week to get it looked at if I can't catch up with @bigtree who has the same icecrypt.
Sandra, "green screen" with HDMI connections could mean an HDMI handshake issue. Try Googling that and follow resolution options. Might work.:unsure:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Have you tried using the AV out instead of the HDMI port. May be able to estabilish if the Snipe & receiver are working if so, you would know it is a comunication problem with the HDMI port.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Have you tried using the AV out instead of the HDMI port. May be able to estabilish if the Snipe & receiver are working if so, you would know it is a comunication problem with the HDMI port.
No as I don’t have an AV lead.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Ok I have made some progress but is it one step forward and 2 back .

As luck would finally have it I spotted someone with a snipe 2. :D2 I kindly asked if they would check my receiver box so off I went and the nice gentleman rigged mine up. Turned his tv on and yep the box sprung into life and is working fine so thats that now ruled out as being faulty.(y)

The guy told me I should lock the snipe onto Astra1 but its not happening, won't lock on:mad: though it will to Eutel 5. Up until now the dish hasn't had a problem locking onto channels.

Is it possible the van in front has a big oyster up and its blocking my line of sight to Astra 1?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Is it possible the van in front has a big oyster up and its blocking my line of sight to Astra 1?
Yep, I've had that happen but only need to move the van a few feet to get a clear line of site.

Last edited:
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thx Lenny, will try again in morning. Kind of jammed in at the moment.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Well I moved a little this morning and the Snipe just will not lock onto Astra 1, in fact the only thing it locks onto is Eutel 5.
Contact from Selfsat is links to check the EL, SK etc but I think I need someone with the technical know how to check settings. The user manual is too sketchy to follow.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So now the Snipe 2 has been upgraded to the latest firmware I have again tried to lock onto satellites. No luck, Eutel 5 only, what explanation can this be? I still haven't had any opportunity to buy replacement cables. I'm very tempted to cut the Black one shorter to see if this makes any difference.

Are both cables the same inside?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back