Trying to buy my 1st motorhome and the real state of the market (1 Viewer)

R100ELP

Free Member
Sep 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Still looking
I've been trying to purchase my 1st motorhome carrying out as much research as possible and have a list of must haves and would likes and don't wants. Everyone says the prices have went through the roof due to demand but I have another theory. I have a feeling dealers are responsible for pushing the prices up to supplement the lack of profit they are making from selling new motorhomes as owners find it easier to sell their 2nd hand motorhomes privately. I am increasingly finding privately advertised homes ending up on dealers websites at prices up to 9 or 10k above the previously advertised price. They are also buying these without disclosing that they are traders and in some cases are posing as private buyers to help secure the sale. Some sellers I have had contact with have felt anger at the tactics the dealers have used to secure the sale.
Personally it has probably put me off buying right now but you never know as foreign holidays return we may also see an increase in the number of homes entering the 2nd hand market again.

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
I'm old enough to be able to say that I'm looking to spend up to double what I spent on my 1st house so either way it's a large investment and I don't want to mess this upšŸ™„
Yes Totally agree. We are trying to buy a touring caravan to site near our home save taking motorhome. What I am finding is Dealers are using 3rd party "Buyers " to purchase from unsuspecting sellers and are then they find their way on to Dealers forecourts at inflated prices. My advice would be. Look on sites like this and any Campervan sites with Classifieds and try to by from Genuine Motorhomers who Don't want to rip you off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
Yes Spot on. The situation this year isn't helped with the shortage of New Stock caused by Covid so people are willing to pay top dollar for used vans. These are mostly financed with HP and if and when the Normal market does return. There could well be a lot of Used vans with Negative Equity out there. The economy will determine how much you lose. But at the moment. We are in Limbo. We were lucky with our last motorhome to have it for 6 years good use and then sell for Ā£600 more than we paid. Take into account I did spend money servicing and it was always well maintained. All problems were sorted immediately so yes we did make Ā£600 more however I spent money for the duration we had it so that we did not break down. More for Peace of mind. However people purchasing at the moment will find Those Days Have Gone.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
..........if and when the Normal market does return. There could well be a lot of Used vans with Negative Equity out there.
I've never bought any vehicle, new or s/h as an investment therefore I've expected them to reflect negative equity in due course so I don't view motorhome ownership to be any different. I've had my current one for nine years (which was bought for cash) and with the usage and pleasure that I've enjoyed it owes me nothing.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I suspect that the UK list price of new MHs will rise very quickly over the next 2 to 3 years for reasons unconnected with Covid.

Rising inflation that affects materials and labour is going to hit the cost of the base vehicles, and also affect the converters pretty soon. Added to that is the fluctuating exchange rate. The current Sterling-Euro rate is close to the 1:1.17 where it was in 2016 but during the period in between is almost headed towards parity. That might easily happen to Sterling again depending on confidence in what Sunak and the BoE are doing.

If I was looking to buy new I would put in an order sooner rather than later. Already some PVCs that I would expect to cost around Ā£50k are being priced at around Ā£70k before options. How long before the base price is Ā£80k or Ā£90k? The market might shift away from outright purchase towards PCP / Leasing in a similar way to the new car market, because lease costs are more affordable (if you have enough disposable income).

Yes, I agree that there could well be an oversupply next year in the used market, if removal of travel restrictions results in renewed overseas holidays on a mass scale, while the newbies fall out of love with the UK's congested roads and rammed campsites and go back to their love of tightly packed aircraft and foreign hotels (more fool them, but still).

Upvote 0
May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Supply and Demand simple economics,
Recently sold our RV owned for over 11yrs 8 of those full timing for more than the original purchase price (yes that is the sound of my happy dance you can hear from afar :roflmto:)
Now the travel industry is opening back up there will be a dump of Motorhomes & caravans onto the market and prices will plummet and individuals & dealers with be stuck with units they cannot get rid of without taking a loss, prices will take a few years going forward to level out to pre pandemic levels and stabilise the market by which time units owned now will have another 2-3 years natural depreciation on them.
So if your planning on keeping long term no worries, thinking about changing in the next 2-3 years youā€™ve missed the Covid booster boat and I donā€™t mean the one in your arm šŸ’·šŸ’·

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Reading this thread makes me wonder if even the great wide and knowledgable fun forum truely has it's collective eye on the pulse?
This last fortnight I've driven past quite a few MH dealerships that seem to have yards full of stock for sale. Take West Country Motorhomes on the A38 for instance, it appeared to be jam packed to me. Of course they may only have a few dozen and have parked them all in view to give that impression?.....

Upvote 0
May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Reading this thread makes me wonder if even the great wide and knowledgable fun forum truely has it's collective eye on the pulse?
This last fortnight I've driven past quite a few MH dealerships that seem to have yards full of stock for sale. Take West Country Motorhomes on the A38 for instance, it appeared to be jam packed to me. Of course they may only have a few dozen and have parked them all in view to give that impression?.....
The bubble is already beginning to burst, units advertised are starting to have up to Ā£500 scratched off previously advertised prices

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm old enough to be able to say that I'm looking to spend up to double what I spent on my 1st house so either way it's a large investment and I don't want to mess this upšŸ™„
Our current van we bought new 4Ā½ years ago, cost us 10 times what our first house cost & have spent 1Ā½ times what our first house cost on it since buying it.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
ending up on dealers websites at prices up to 9 or 10k above the previously advertised price.
1. It's the buyer that sets the price. If the price is too high, it won't sell.
2. Even if they do manage to sell the motorhome for Ā£9-10k more than they paid, that's gross profit, not net. Those flash showrooms with don't pay for themselves. Then there's the general overheads and tax etc

In my opinion, now isn't the time to buy a motorhome. Overseas tourism is on the cusp of being reopened. So those "covid camper" mouthbreathers will be looking at the the monthly payments on their motorhomes, and wanting to ditch them for a week or two in Costa-Del-Halfwit. Supply overtakes demand, and a slump in prices.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
And that's the thing because I'm a first time buyer what I don't want to happen is spending Ā£50k and finding l can't live with the layout and going to sell it and it being worth Ā£20k less it's made me think I'd better hire first and then maybe go down the new route as I'm prepared to wait as retirement is still a few years away yet and I'd have more time to savešŸ˜
Get yourself to the Shows, and take a good look at the layouts, and build quality. Make a short list.
Consider renting first out, and decide if motorhoming is really for you - "buyers remorse" is not uncommon

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2017
Seagrave Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A CLASS HYMER B698
Exp
15 years
I've been trying to purchase my 1st motorhome carrying out as much research as possible and have a list of must haves and would likes and don't wants. Everyone says the prices have went through the roof due to demand but I have another theory. I have a feeling dealers are responsible for pushing the prices up to supplement the lack of profit they are making from selling new motorhomes as owners find it easier to sell their 2nd hand motorhomes privately. I am increasingly finding privately advertised homes ending up on dealers websites at prices up to 9 or 10k above the previously advertised price. They are also buying these without disclosing that they are traders and in some cases are posing as private buyers to help secure the sale. Some sellers I have had contact with have felt anger at the tactics the dealers have used to secure the sale.
Personally it has probably put me off buying right now but you never know as foreign holidays return we may also see an increase in number of homes entering the 2nd hand market again.
Hi if you wait till next year there is a good chance the MH bought with staycation in mind will be for sale next year then buy private good luck šŸ¤ž

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I and a few more on this thread wouldn't dream of buying new or from a dealer but the problem arises I'm afraid, someone has to or where are the second hand ones going to come from?

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It has been open all the time? It was/is the UK putting obstacles in travellers ways , test to return /test after return, Plf's etc;etc, that has prevented travel fro the UK.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Our current van we bought new 4Ā½ years ago, cost us 10 times what our first house cost & have spent 1Ā½ times what our first house cost on it since buying it.
I think Motorhomes are a little like yachts etc they always need a little maintenance and money spent on them......no matter how careful you are with them

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
they have 38 used split between two sites, Travelworld's stock looks good at first sight but when you really look they are spaced out and if you visit many of them are sold

Upvote 0

Kevmand

Free Member
Jul 16, 2017
Ripon
Funster No
MH
C class a class
Exp
Since 2015
It is supply and demand but when demand is being falsely inflated to take advantage of the less well informed I fear it's not going to end well and we will end up with a lot of purchasers with the motorhome equivalent of negative equity.
It could be called profiteering ,but as with buying and selling anything ,the seller always wants as much as possible and the buyer wants to spend the least . Property, food anything if you want something and feel itā€™s expensive then donā€™t buy. Ive listened to all the quotes on various sites and to behonest I feel if you want it buy it. If you were selling one and your neighbour was too of similar sort you wouldnā€™t ask Ā£5k less just because you felt his was overpriced ā€¦.unless youā€™re that flush you dont need the extra Ā£5k.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
And that's the thing because I'm a first time buyer what I don't want to happen is spending Ā£50k and finding l can't live with the layout and going to sell it and it being worth Ā£20k less it's made me think I'd better hire first and then maybe go down the new route as I'm prepared to wait as retirement is still a few years away yet and I'd have more time to savešŸ˜
If you're unsure of layout etc, I would definitely consider hiring, even if you have to hire a few times to be absolutely certain
that when you do come to buy you get it right first time.
With regard to prices and dealers tactics unfortunately are driven by market conditions, and at the moment it's a sellers market. Good Luck with whichever option you take.

Upvote 0

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
We will need a motor home (our first) from late May next year and will no doubt be playing chicken in the hope of getting a good deal if the staycation gang decide to jet off to the sun. Weā€™ve been planning this purchase (gathering funds)for a few years and done the usual trek around the dealers, recently revisited seven of them ,two had closed down! the others had practically no stock with one or two vans available for sale most vans on site already sold and any new vans due in also sold before arrival so early next year will be a tense time for us.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The market might shift away from outright purchase towards PCP / Leasing in a similar way to the new car market, because lease costs are more affordable (if you have enough disposable income).
I can't see that happening on a large scale as the majority of buyers of news van are either semi-retired or retired.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

byronkemp

Free Member
Sep 3, 2021
Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
We bought and sold in April (sold private ) and normally try to buy private but couldnt find the layout we needed . High Top Van convert with four travelling seats and rear bed . Absolutely love the current camper ( 6 mtr high top) purchased from MDG in Poole with full service, everything done immaculate condition full hab check everything done great handover . Also now appreciate the quality of finish and level of equipment that goes into the build (Autocruise) . This is fifth motorhome and never really lost much on any one we sold .

This last purchase has really restored my faith in the dealers value and proves "You normally only get what you pay for "

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
I think Motorhomes are a little like yachts etc they always need a little maintenance and money spent on them......no matter how careful you are with them
Youā€™re right in that you canā€™t own such beasts without added costs. However, I can assure you owning a Motorhome is CONSIDERABLY cheaper than owning a yacht! Iā€™ve had 3 MoHoā€™s and 2 yachts. My last yacht (which I sold just before the 1st lockdown) was a 34footer and on itā€™s mooring in Poole was just over Ā£5000 a year to moor it. Add to that an annual lift-out for essential anti-fouling with craneage and you can Chuck another Ā£500-Ā£1000 at it. (A lot more if done professionally).
thatā€™s before you start other maintenance, repairs and so on!

MoHo storage isnā€™t especially cheap, but itā€™s not in that league! šŸ¤“

Upvote 0
May 29, 2021
Swansea, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest CV2
Exp
Definitely rent a van first. I did and knew what i wanted and didn't want after that. I've bought an Elddis CV20 with fixed 6'2" benches/beds and I love it.

Upvote 0

byronkemp

Free Member
Sep 3, 2021
Tyne and Wear, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
We found going to the Big shows like the Lincoln Motorhome Show ( currently on now ) ( google " Out and About Live" website ) was a great way to see loads of different layouts, lie on the beds, check the head-hight , layout sizes etc . A tyre kickers heaven ha ha and you could always book a local B & B and go as a day visitor if you like . Private sale is easy if you look after your van and present it well through sites like Autotrader Motorhomes and you can easily get about Ā£8k more than most dealers might offer as a trade in.

Upvote 0
Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
its academic on this discussion, i will just say i have sold every one of my motorhomes at a profit, never intentional just circumstantial - its a matter of knowing what you want and paying a sensible price, i will say i bought the first two of three private, the last was also a good price and was from a dealer, but again - there are dealers and there are dealers. and the timing was right and my vans were spot on with no faults and in perfect condition and it showed. So the first to see bought - no haggling.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back