Trusted Friend & Work Colleague Borrowing Motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Recently had the MOT renewed on our Burstner 748. The testing station asked me, "Do you know how many miles you've done between MOTs? The answer, 300! Seems I've just enjoyed pottering for the year :( We've just been so busy, not had any time and even had to pull out of the Carmarthen show right at the last minute!

So, the reason for the post is in the title. A friend wants to borrow our motorhome for a 10 day holiday in France. Of course I have concerns as anyone would. I want the motorhome returned in the condition when it was taken. I'd insist on insurance & breakdown and recovery.

My friend has done some research and found an insurer called Dayinsure. It seems they'll provide the cover required but I don't believe they offer recovery.

Any ideas where they could get European recovery for 10 days for a motorhome weighing 5 ton & 29 feet long?

Any help, any suggestions?

Cheers

John

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have recently read a thread in a similar vain and the general consensus seemed to be that you can't have more than one insurance policy running on a vehicle at one time so that might need checking.

Don't know about breakdown, but if he takes it out he is not the registered owner/keeper.

Martin

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
300 miles!! i can beat that just had rv mot done 35 miles since last test

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just a thought after similar queries on other threads but you're happy he is licensed to drive that weight?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Through personal experience I'd recommend not doing it make up some excuse about your insurance company. Years a go a very good friend of mine did me a small favour and because they where struggling for money I said they could have the caravan for a weekend at a local site. This turned into a week in the lakes with me towing the van, I told them if they broke anything just tell me and we would get it fixed. Well they broke the little plastic door in the salad part of fridge and then glued it without mentioning to me. I noticed about a week later that it had been glued and asked them about it they couldn't see anything wrong and she took the huff now haven't spoke in 7 years apart from the odd hello.

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
my best mate borrows ours, and all i did was add him to my insurance,,it cost an extra £104.00 that he paid, and now he can use if he wants when we are not away in it,,,i trust him and he always tells me if any problems straight away,,,,

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have recently read a thread in a similar vain and the general consensus seemed to be that you can't have more than one insurance policy running on a vehicle at one time so that might need checking.

Don't know about breakdown, but if he takes it out he is not the registered owner/keeper.

Martin

Had a similar discussion just two months ago in a legal round table I have been known to attend when the agenda includes vehicular stuff.

Whilst a person cannot legally have anything insured twice ( the yanks call it double jeopardy but in the UK it is a convoluted name that eludes me at the moment )
However, more than one person can insure the same object.. In fact there is no limit to how many people can insure anything from a cat to car.

Further, nowadays it is actively encouraged as the assurers / insurance companies get more lolly !!!!!!

There is no law broken unless more than one person tried to claim for the same accident / incident.

I would not mind loaning out our van to a trusted friend or family member, but I would insist on arranging all insurances and covers my self, thereby assuring the correct and full cover is in place

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Had a similar discussion just two months ago in a legal round table I have been known to attend when the agenda includes vehicular stuff.

Whilst a person cannot legally have anything insured twice ( the yanks call it double jeopardy but in the UK it is a convoluted name that eludes me at the moment )
However, more than one person can insure the same object.. In fact there is no limit to how many people can insure anything from a cat to car.

Further, nowadays it is actively encouraged as the assurers / insurance companies get more lolly !!!!!!

There is no law broken unless more than one person tried to claim for the same accident / incident.

I would not mind loaning out our van to a trusted friend or family member, but I would insist on arranging all insurances and covers my self, thereby assuring the correct and full cover is in place

Sorry to say John, you would be breaking the law and the insurance would be void.....unless you qualify for the below quote.

• If you are not regulated by the FCA, you must not purchase or arrange insurance on behalf of your hirees. However, it IS acceptable for you to direct the hiree to our site, where they can purchase our cover themselves.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I lent my first Kontiki to my brother.
I arranged insurance at his cost through my own insurer who would insure additional drivers for short term cover.

All went well but.....

He used my diesel funnel to fill the fresh water tank.
Mistakes are easily made but it took some time to get rid of the taint in the tank.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
You can insure 1vehicle with more than 1 insurer and I do it all the time, when I fly down to my daughters I add their car to the company fleet insurance and get a cover note which shows joint insurers my son in law and my Co been doing for at 4 years and my broker does the same when he goes to visit his son, as long as both insurance Co's are aware and yo only claim on relevant insurer is if I'm driving I claim on Co insurance if he's driving he claims on his insurance

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know people have said similar but surly you can add a named driver to your insurance and breakdown is usually on the vehical not the driver

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Bit of a difficult one, don't lend it can hurt the friendship, do lend it something goes wrong strain on friendship, if you can get out of it I would.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
My car yes, my motorhome, never in a million years.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
no no and no.that is why mine still goes.after 24 years.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
never lend or borrow from friends if you want to stay friends IMO

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
DONT DO IT IF THAY BRAKE IT FRENSHIP IS OUT THE WINDOW I KNOW BEEN THARE THAY BEND IT THAY MEND IT:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: NEVER HAPENS AND WILL END IN:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:AND THAY WONT BE FRENDS ANY MORE NO NO NO AND NO

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I wouldn't do it either - there are too many things that I don't know about our van to be confident that any damage was not caused by another person.

What so, what would happen when friend b asks to borrow the van, having heard that you leant it to friend a? Friend b not being as trusted as friend a....

Sep 29, 2012
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
We only let my brother use ours, he is on the insurance as a named driver, he also has a HV licence and is a better driver then both of us so we are comfortable with him using it, but we would not let anyone else use it
Gail

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
No, it`s mine.
Too complicated too explain to a newby how all the gear works ---- things will come back broken:cry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry to say John, you would be breaking the law and the insurance would be void.....unless you qualify for the below quote.

• If you are not regulated by the FCA, you must not purchase or arrange insurance on behalf of your hirees. However, it IS acceptable for you to direct the hiree to our site, where they can purchase our cover themselves.

Methinks you take me too literally

I meant I would suggest you find the cover you are happy with and then get the borrower to set it up, preferably whilst I was right there with them

Also, the above refers to someone who hires vehicles out.
An individual can set up insurance for someone else as long as they are with you and you can hand the telephone to them so they can confirm details with the agent.

Otherwise no one would be able to, for instance, set up insurance for the wife etc

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We only let my brother use ours, he is on the insurance as a named driver, he also has a HV licence and is a better driver then both of us so we are comfortable with him using it, but we would not let anyone else use it
Gail
Driving is not the same as using, there are one or two I would allow to drive it in certain circumstances, but not to use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back