Trumpington Park and Ride - Cambridge (1 Viewer)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We are planning on travelling to Cambridge for a few nights in September. We will probably stay at a small site outside Cambridge and hope to use the Park and Ride system to get into town. I have read somewhere that the Trumpington Park and Ride car park has a special section for motorhomes and yet the Council's own website says that there is a 2.1 metre height barrier in place. I suspect that one of these pieces of information is out of date but, although I have emailed the Council for clarification, I haven't had an answer yet. Is there anyone here that has recent experience of using it (or trying to use it and being turned away!) and who can confirm what the actual position is? if it is another anti-motorhome local authority, we shall go and spend our hard-earned money in Oxford instead :)

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have now heard from the Council and can answer my own question. The Caravan Site information is correct and the Council's own website is wrong, although they have promised to correct it. Motorhomes CAN use this Park and Ride facility. There is a separate controlled access without a height restriction, signposted from the roundabout, which is manually controlled from the office. The only slight problem is that you have to be away by 6.30 pm because after that there will be no staff and you are locked in for the night! Shame about this small glitch but otherwise I say well done to Cambridgeshire County Council for having regard to the needs of motorhomers :)

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Just a thought if you were locked in for the night and the staff have gone home would anyone stop you sleeping in your motorhome?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Just a thought if you were locked in for the night and the staff have gone home would anyone stop you sleeping in your motorhome?

My guess (note the word “guess”) is that this would be unlikely. What I don’t know is whether there is something in the small print that might make you liable to pay a big charge - which is typically around £80.00 - if you do.

OP
OP
Stretto Boy

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
I have just had a look at the small print. It seems that you can “park” for up to three days for £10.00 per day. It is not clear whether parking allows you to sleep overnight. Personally, I would rather stay on a CL than pay £10.00 for no facilities and have to worry about whether I was breaching the conditions.

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We would rather stay on a CL but there are very few CL,s close to towns.
We just spent a couple of days in Southport staying on the pleasland car park.
Only has water and gray waste £10 per night and it is just a basic car park but the location was perfect and did not have to leave at lunch time.
In fact the park itself is only open when the schools are not so the car park just contained 5 motorhomes.
During the winter we are looking for places to stay withh easy access to a town.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 15, 2014
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E450
Exp
3 years
I went to the guided bus parking in longstanton in my work van and was dismayed to find a height restriction, I just got under it. i suppose its to keep the gypsies out but stops people with motorhomes parking up and visiting cambridge

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I think most motorhomers are not looking for free parking or camping just basic sites like aires in easy access to our tourist locations.
A recent stay at Chester on oid rodeo car park that welcomes overnight stays proved what a good idea it is with around 30 motorhomes all visiting the town and spending money.
Is it any wonder our town centers and seasides are closing down.
The stopping travelers is a cop out typical English over reaction to problem.
Rant Over lets just enjoy the locations who welcome us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back