Trumatic heater ...no heat! (1 Viewer)

albouy

Deceased RIP
Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson welcome
Hi guys/galls, my van was built in 1999 so I guess that's the age of the heater...it's basic, pietzo manual start. I can get the flame in the 'viewing window's but not for long. The radiator with the grey heatsink type fins barely gets slightly warm, not hand hot at all...and then it goes out. I believe I am to hold the gas button down for a while which I have done. But it goes out. It's got a new bottle of gas and all gas taps are on. Can anyone throw any 'light' on the heater?:unsure:. Thanks

OP
OP
A

albouy

Deceased RIP
Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson welcome
Hi you two, yes I can cook(others disagree) after I initialize the startup, it's as if it's waiting for the next step...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It could be that the flame failure device is faulty or it's misplaced and not in the burner flame. Have you cleaned the inside of the heater and perhaps knocked the flame failure (gas shut-off) detector so that it's no longer being heated by the flame?

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Nothing wrong with basic and manual! Almost certainly the flame failure thermocouple isn't quite in the correct position in the flame or the little white cable has come loose or broken. Pushing down on the start button overrides it and allows the flame to light then continuing to hold down the button let's the thermocouple heat up and keep the gas flowing. When you release the button if the thermocouple isn't hot enough it turns the gas off.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I also found this as an answer to exactly the same symptoms assuming yours is a Trumatic S3002?
Screenshot_20211025-221042.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albouy

Deceased RIP
Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson welcome
Well, the heater fired up today...wow, it is hot in my little van! I'm putting it on trial for the next few days. The rodded gas control is a bit stiff, I was thinking of WD40 but I will wait for other suggestions before I do anything. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albouy

Deceased RIP
Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson welcome
Sorry, its a trumatic, I think an early 3002 with manual pietzo start.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Well, the heater fired up today...wow, it is hot in my little van! I'm putting it on trial for the next few days. The rodded gas control is a bit stiff, I was thinking of WD40 but I will wait for other suggestions before I do anything. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
So what did you do to get it working?
WD40 might free the rod off if it's corroded which I doubt as the rod passes through little that would restrict it but in general oil is longer lasting as a lubricant.
I suspect it's just a stiff valve and there's little you can do about it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

albouy

Deceased RIP
Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson welcome
Hi, I used my special tool...my knockometer...just a gentle tap, and I MEAN gentle.,the flame colour changed momentarily with each tap, going back to blue. I don't say this helped but now I'm going to test it with continuous observation. The rod is not seized it's just a little difficult to turn so I will drop some oil into the valve to ease operation. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Hi, I used my special tool...my knockometer...just a gentle tap, and I MEAN gentle.,the flame colour changed momentarily with each tap, going back to blue.
Sorry to be a pain but just for clarity, what did you tap?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back