Trumatic C water heater usage vs. gas consumption... (1 Viewer)

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
How do you use your Trumatic water heater??...is the gas consumption significant maintaining the water at, say, 40C for extended periods? If you want heating but not a shower for a while pre breakfast, do you turn it on and leave it on for an hour or two to heat up before a post breakfast shower? Is a 240 volt heating collar an easy/reasonably cheap upgrade for the Trumatic C 3402?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi again BeeSea,

Ours is the C6402. If the heating is on, the water temperature will be 60°, and once the yellow light is out, after about 40 mins, you have a full tank of hot water. This is how we use the system from October through to about May time. During the warmer weather, we just heat the water as and when we need it, but rarely on the 40° setting, however, if in hotter climes, we probably would.

I didn't go ahead with having the heat belt fitted. As the Truma engineer advised me, for the cost of the belt and fitting, you can buy an awful lot of autogas, and as we have a bulk tank, that's what we do. ;)

HTH,

Jock. :)

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I just leave mine on at 60 degrees. After the Carver contraptions the Truma seems incredibly efficient and doesn't appear to use much gas to maintain the hot water up to temp.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Heater collars are a bit unreliable, take longer to heat the water also gas is a lot cheaper than paying for EHU.
Best to turn the heater on when you need it as insulation is poor.

Upvote 0

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Since we have got the Rapido, I'm more inclined to not bother with EHU, and we have the Truma combo 6E fitted with the electric element, but use gas all the time. Don't think it uses much gas, and as we use 13kg propane at £22 a time I think it's cheaper in the long run.
And old frosty is never cold. Think I'm going to invest and have the new digital control retro fitted thou because it looks a good bit of kit and it's got a timer....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We always run our hot water on 60 deg setting, the reason being that you've only got a small tank of hot water and will use less of it the higher the temperature
When we have EHU we run it on elec 24/7
When were using gas we set the timer to come on about 1 hour before we get up
In the winter we've found the gas or gas/elec setting is required if we're heating the van too
Gas consumption for water heating is low
Hope this helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BeeSea

BeeSea

Free Member
May 8, 2014
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
A couple of years...France/Spain/Portugal and Blighty
Thank you everyone for your input. We have fitted a "Gaslow" like refillable gas bottle so it would seem gas consumption is no issue for more relaxed hot water production! Good suggestion Robert, to run it at 60C to make the limited hot tank go further. What a great little forum this is!! ;-)

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
In winter when occupied, our boiler/heating is running 24/7 and gas consumption appears to be very reasonable.

With the Gaslow refillables, (or bulk tank) you are on to a winner, providing you have good battery capacity. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And old frosty is never cold. Think I'm going to invest and have the new digital control retro fitted thou because it looks a good bit of kit and it's got a timer....
I fitted a CP Plus control myself, great to be able to get up and hop straight into a hot shower, or in winter get up in a nice warm van.

We prefer to run the water at 40 we find 60 wastes a lot of water getting the shower temperature right. As we have 2 x 13kg re-fillable gas bottles water consumtion is our main concern.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back