Truma W17H error when using hot air only. (2 Viewers)

Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Our Truma boiler is giving us a W17H error when we have been running the hot air only after about 20 minutes or so.
The error implies the boiler is empty but we know it is full of water because running the hot tap produces steaming hot water!
We know the hot air system also warms the boiler but it now seems to be overheating the water in the boiler.
Has anyone had this before?
Trying to decide if it is a problem with it’s too much heat transferring into the water or a faulty sensor somewhere.

PS currently in the Pyrenees and it was -2 last night and we can’t run the heating so hoping for some easy solutions.

Thanks

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
You probably have this info already but Truma UK have always been helpful (and UK calls should be included if you have a UK phone sim?) ...
Contact
Phone: 01283 587960
E-mail: technical@trumauk.com

Service times
Monday to Friday 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.

Address
Truma Limited
Park Lane
Dove Valley Park
South Derbyshire
DE65 5BG

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Reply from Truma UK

Thank you for your email, fault code 17 is just a warning code to indicate that the unit is in a cool down phase, this will normally occur when switching from water heating back to space heating, it is nothing to worry about and will disappear when the heat exchanger of the heater has cooled a little. However if this is occurring when the water heater has not been operating then I would suggest that the first thing your dealer/engineer needs to check is whether the heat exchanger and water tank are in contact causing the heater to see very high temperatures in the heat exchanger.

This morning so far we have had w17h, e255 and e89 errors. Guess we need to find a decent Truma engineer in Northern Spain now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Update.
So we have visited a very nice Truma agent in NE Spain who have tried to run diagnostics but unfortunately this failed. They have discussed our problem with Truma but after initially thinking we had a leaking boiler they have now found that we have the wrong motherboard installed. The serial number of the motherboard seems to be a couple of years after the main unit serial number and after the van was registered so somebody has replaced it before we bought the van.
We are now waiting for Truma to confirm the correct motherboard and send us a replacement to th dealer so it can be fitted it meanwhile we have been left with no heating and no hot water so we have parked up on Avery nice looking campsite to make use of their facilities.
Watch this space!

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Didn’t realise I had not updated this thread.
We still suffer with the W17H error on a regular basis, even more so now we are running the heating more back in a chilly UK.
We had a new motherboard fitted which failed to resolve the issue, we visited another dealer in Antas who are very helpful and very good but unfortunately not good enough for us to get the error to occur (probably because the weather was too nice In Spain at the time). We have then visited our own dealer and he can not recreate the fault, although he did get other errors which were diagnosed as low voltage!
But we still get the 17H error on a daily basis when running on gas so we have booked into Truma’s UK service Center today and are sitting enjoying their hospitality while their engineers look into it for us.
Just hoping they can recreate the fault and then resolve it.
once we get answer I’ll try and update again.

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
We finally have a diagnosis. The clever man at Truma has found the boiler has been frost damaged which has caused the boiler to deform and touch the water pipes so causing it to overheat.
Costly repair of £750 or a serviced exchange unit with guarantee for £800. We are going for the exchange unit to have the comfort of the guarantee.
Hopefully it will be covered by our warranty as the damage must have occurred before we had purchased the van and we have had problems with the heating since day one.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the update. It would be handy to know which Truma unit you have, is it a Truma Combi 4E/6E?

docrichard

Free Member
Feb 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexo t660
Hello Iain, I am experiencing very similar symptoms, can you tell me which Truma agent you used?

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Hello Iain, I am experiencing very similar symptoms, can you tell me which Truma agent you used?
We went to Truma UK factory near Derby in the end. Very good service.
I suggest you email or ring their Service dept there as they are very responsive and helpful.

docrichard

Free Member
Feb 18, 2022
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexo t660
Thank you very much; don’t live too far from there so will give them a try.

lianebacon

Free Member
Jan 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Rio
Hello Iain, sadly we’re getting the same problem. When you say a serviced exchanges unit, what did that entail? Thank you this has been a really helpful thread. 😊

OP
OP
iain26
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Hi,
Once they took our unit out of the van and inspected it they gave us the diagnosis and the offer to repair or a Service exchange unit.
The Exchange unit was one which they had previously repaired but it had all been thoroughly tested and came with a warranty so we were happy. Once we agreed they fitted it and test run it before we were allowed to take the van away.
Truma are a very good company to deal with from start to finish and I would recommend if you have an issue to talk to them at the Derby factory.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Iain

lianebacon

Free Member
Jan 5, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Rio
Brilliant - thank you so much for your quick reply. We have message them and waiting for them to get back to us. I’m wondering if replacing the exchange unit is something we could do ourselves 🤔… we live in Pembrokeshire so getting to an engineer is never easy. 🤦‍♀️

Mariasmisshapps

Free Member
Feb 18, 2024
Funster No
MH
swift escape
Hi,
Once they took our unit out of the van and inspected it they gave us the diagnosis and the offer to repair or a Service exchange unit.
The Exchange unit was one which they had previously repaired but it had all been thoroughly tested and came with a warranty so we were happy. Once we agreed they fitted it and test run it before we were allowed to take the van away.
Truma are a very good company to deal with from start to finish and I would recommend if you have an issue to talk to them at the Derby factory.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Iain
Thank you for this post, you have put my mind at rest (a little bit) was the £800 fully fitted or were there any extra costs for fitting.
Maria

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back