Truma Saphir air con any good? (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Our Hymer we have just done a deal on has this, pick up late January, does anybody know anything about it, is it a waste of money/payload or a useful addition. The remote control works perfectly when I tried at the dealer today and it blew cold air.
I notice there is 2 in take holes underneath the floor, that will let plenty of cold air in surely

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We have the underfloor vario version fitted one outlet at the front one in high up in the kitchen area and one in the rear bedroom works well but find it a bit noisy fitted a inline baffle silencer to the outlet in the bedroom which worked well and also one to the exit and intake points under the floor as it is quite noisy from the outside but cools the van well and its 8.4m

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have the underfloor vario version fitted one outlet at the front one in high up in the kitchen area and one in the rear bedroom works well but find it a bit noisy fitted a inline baffle silencer to the outlet in the bedroom which worked well and also one to the exit and intake points under the floor as it is quite noisy from the outside but cools the van well and its 8.4m

Was yours fitted when you bought the van?
The dealer said they would remove it if I wanted, not sure what to do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
its mains power only but quite efficient considering it only comes out of 2 high level vents on ours, rarely bother though, if hot we have door and windows open for draught :)(y)

I wouldn't bother taking it out, cant see it weighing much

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
its mains power only but quite efficient considering it only comes out of 2 high level vents on ours, rarely bother though, if hot we have door and windows open for draught :)(y)

I wouldn't bother taking it out, cant see it weighing much

Not searched proper but I only saw 2 low level vents although could be a lot more, I,m it weighs about 20kg I read somewhere so yes not too much, does yours have the air intake vents underfloor too? I suppose they have to have them?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not searched proper but I only saw 2 low level vents although could be a lot more, I,m it weighs about 20kg I read somewhere so yes not too much, does yours have the air intake vents underfloor too? I suppose they have to have them?

Sorry no idea at all where even the unit let alone the inlets

the remote is in the top drawer :LOL: and a vent near kitchen other in bedroom both at roof height :)(y)

and the condensate drips by nearside garage door, so that's roughly where the gubbins are :)

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry no idea at all where even the unit let alone the inlets

the remote is in the top drawer :LOL: and a vent near kitchen other in bedroom both at roof height :)(y)

and the condensate drips by nearside garage door, so that's roughly where the gubbins are :)

So it drips water as well from somewhere?

OP
OP
CazPaul
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
If you don't need, the dealer will take it out and make loads of money when he sells it. You could do that.:xlaugh:

He probably wont get much for a second hand unit though will he?

I don't want to keep summat for the sake of it, we like wild camping without hook up usually, how much power do they draw I wonder and can you run them on an inverter?
Plenty more research I think.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Was yours fitted when you bought the van?
The dealer said they would remove it if I wanted, not sure what to do.

Yeah came fitted would not be with out it now especially when abroad, would think it would take some removing what would they do with the holes were the outlets are if payload is a premium then you might make that choice but i think i would rather travel with 20ltr less water its a good extra to have

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have 2 of these, the holes underneath are intake and outlet. They are great units providing the vents are properly installed. The exhaust hole underneath can have a silencing cowl fitted, I bought these and fitted them they did reduce the sound further, but compared to my Yankee roof AC units they are quiet. But if you are on a tight pitch in such a way that the exhaust is adjacent to the next pitch one can cause some irritation to the have nots on a hot day. I would not be without ours. I would keep it and see a hot summer through first.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
It’s a handy thing to have and works well, depending on model weighs 20 - 28kg and draws 1.7 - 4.4 amps. Not worth the effort of removing really imo.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We had one in our Frankia. They are fine for the extra hot days. We ran ours on fan only via an inverter and solar.
They are far better than roof models, quieter, neater, better air distribution and lower centre of gravity.

Jul 7, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I had a look at one and was really tempted but they are pretty expensive, ended up getting a deal on a Eurom AC2401 just in case we get a summer like last year or if we finally get across to France and Spain. :hot:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Ours has two aircon units both of which are rairly used. If you have a 16a hookup, they will use most of the available power. On the few occasions they have been used it has only been in the South Of France, Portugal etc, never in the UK and most places we have been at can’t supply the power to run then, so I start up the 5.5kw generator. :gum:

So, outside I create the noise from two AC’s and the genie. Win, win, win. :rofl:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a look at one and was really tempted but they are pretty expensive, ended up getting a deal on a Eurom AC2401 just in case we get a summer like last year or if we finally get across to France and Spain. :hot:
We're in Spain now, and stilll using the winter duvet. Heating needed.more than aircon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back