Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
Hi all,
We recently purchased the above van back in October and the Electric fire part has packed in, the gas fire works fine.
It was working when collected it but not now. Sometimes when I turn the power dial to 2000 or 500 the green light comes on briefly but then fades.
Anyone any idea, I could take it back but we brought it out of area 180 miles away it is covered for a year but in the mean time if I can get it working it would help.
Is there a reset button anywhere, I have looked but cannot see one and nothing mention in the instructions.
thanks in advance for any help
paul

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The light coming on and then fading sounds more like the gas water heater and having the outside cover on over the flue..!
Are you getting the switches mixed up and turning on the water heater by mistake.

Vans often have hidden mains switches, have a search around as you may have knocked one by accident and turned off the switch for the electric heater.. VERY COMMON, Lots of people have done this.. May be hidden in a cupboard or wardrobe, even down at floor level.

good luck.. May be worth posting what van you have, then someone with same model may have better information.

OP
OP
Paul and Jeannette

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
many thanks for taking the time to give advice. Its a 2006 model, when reading the instructions its a bit confusing as but I will try as you suggest.
This might sound a daft question but when I drained the water down would that have had some effect. Also do you need to take the flu cover off even when using the electric fire?
I am going to have a good go today, refilling the water taking off the flue cover and looking for the switch I may have switched off.
There is also a large isolation switch in the wardrobe that has a removable key, it was said it was to isolate the battery when stored up but I cannot remember the details as to what it does and how to use it.
All in all I should have asked more questions when I picked it up but you just get excited about having another van.
many thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Paul and Jeannette

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
I have spotted someone that has a 2007 suntor 590RL so I will knock their door soon to ask if they would not mind running through the bits and pieces.
paul

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi Sammy, may be a daft guestion, but are you on electric hook up ?, as fire will not run off battery, best of luck with it.

Eric

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Hi sammy, make sure the electric fire is switched on at the power point which will be in the adjacent cupboard to the unit, it must have gotten switched off. This would explain the green light coming on just a flash when selecting 500/1000 or 2000 on the heat selector above the hab door.
The power supply point will be a switched spur in the cupboard probably marked heater.
Also this will be as mentioned above, only if on electric hook up and powered up.
If on ehu and switched spur supply on, then check fuse, will be a 13amp.

Lance

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paul and Jeannette

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
Thanks Lance for the input,
Could not check today but will give it another go tomorrow and report on progress or lack of it.
Hi eric, yes I am on my home hook up so thats not the problem but thanks for the input. Many hands make light work, perhaps the same will work for the heater!!!!
while we at it any suggestions as to what wattage is suitable for LED bulbs replacements bulbs as they go from 1.5 to 5w.
paul

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
while we at it any suggestions as to what wattage is suitable for LED bulbs replacements bulbs as they go from 1.5 to 5w.
paul
I think the LED spots I put into the 2x reading spot lamps in our autotrail were 3w. The ones I fitted came with a remote which gives a selection of 144 colours and dimmable which I found great for a bit of mood lighting.
I have replaced all of the LED strip lights as most were faulty and flickered when I got the van.
I have previously replaced all led lamps in caravans I have owned with 3 watt warm white G4 lamps which were cheap as chips off eBay and did the job fine. Took around 2-3 weeks delivery from HK, but far cheaper than Caravan & Motorhome spares shops.
I suppose the light colour and brightness is down to individual preference and needs though, however I always find the day white and cool white to be a sort of strange, false light, hard to explain really but again it's down to personal preference.

OP
OP
Paul and Jeannette

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
heating sorted, lance was correct, many thanks.
I have ordered some 3w leds cool white to try and as it happens from hong kong, not expensive so providing I can fit them o.k. changing power and colour can be done cheaply.
again this forum worked well for advice, up to now I have not used the motorhome fun site very much but will use it more from now as the experience and help is much and varied and useful.
thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back