Compactliner

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Exp
11 yrs
i dont know if Truma have changed the firmware, however my knowledge of the way the unit works is as follows...
when (say) on mixed 2, a Combi 6E will use upto 4kw of gas plus 1800w of electric giving a total heat output of 5.8kw.
as the temperature rises, the one gas burner turns off leaving 2kw plus 1800w.
as the temp gets even closer to the setting, the second gas burner turns off leaving the 1800w of electric to maintain the temperature.
as the unit cant prioritise both hot water AND heating, using the BOOST settings can influence this...
setting the hot water to BOOST effectively turns off the heating AND raises the target temperature for the water to beyond the nomal (60 deg) HOT setting, turning the heating back on once the water has reached this temperature.
setting the heating to BOOST effectively turns the hot water off, returning it the 'by product' of the heating system system which is how it operates when heating is ON but water is OFF. hot water heating is resumed when the room is heated to the desired temperature.
using gas (6kw) only OR mix2 (5.8kw) even combined with the ECO fan setting, should have the van heated pretty smartly.
we find ours works really well....just dont be afraid (or too tight) to use gas when required...
as Lenny says, that £500 for the EL 'upgrade' buys an awful lot of gas and makes the unit far more effective...

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Got new sensor and initial testing looking promising, on gas+electric heating turned off eventually, then later turned back on again when van cooled. On electric only it didn't seem to come back on - but it is possible I didn't wait long enough. Will test it out further when we next go away.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The heating runs better with the CP+ controller, you can increase fan speed etc. Our 4e heated very well before I fitted The cp+ but lacked fan speed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
thanks, might try a CP+ next as it looks like it will make it easier to tell what is going on with my 4e. Jezport - you DIY fit it, and if so how complicated was it to do?

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
All excellent advice for BusyBuilder but we must now assume that he failed to fix the heating problem and has succumbed to hyperthermia.

OP
OP
BusyBuilder
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Hello all, my original problem was gas supply. We were in Germany and had a Truma agent have a look and fitted a new Truma Duo regulator, this increased the flow of gas.

But, we still think the fan is not putting out the air flow it should be, the boiler lights up okay, no more flashing lights, but the van takes a while to heat up still. When we feel the outlets anywhere in the van the airflow is low. Sometimes I think it switches off too quickly as well.

Although we do get boiling hot water and feeling the boiler vent outside the boiler is actually working ok.

How can I check this myself ? could it be the thermostat ? being up in the Highlands there are no Truma agents about, although I can fix most things, this is a bit complicated for me without some advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
thanks, might try a CP+ next as it looks like it will make it easier to tell what is going on with my 4e. Jezport - you DIY fit it, and if so how complicated was it to do?
Yes, easy. I data cable and 12v connection. The data cable is already fitted so you only need to find a permanent 12v.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back