Truma iNet Ready upgrade? Is it easy? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Looking at youtube videos I see a lot of new Motorhomes (ours is 2015) have a new iNet Ready thermostat so you can adjust the heating via a smart phone.

Anyone know if this is a simple plug and play upgrade? And how much it is.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I have had the Alde smart control for 18 months now, a great way of monitoring the van. I have an auto SMS app as well which sends a text to the unit every morning so I can see inside and outside temps, confirm 230 volt connected etc. It sends alarm texts for most conditions, except 230 volt fail which is one I would like. Setting the heating and hot water remotely is useful when you want to return to a warm home!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I managed to pick up an iNet off the bay but as my MH was brand new decided that it was best to get the dealer to install.

However, I can confirm installation is very easy. Power to iNet unit, network cable to control panel and another network cable from control panel to iNet. Then you need to reconfigure settings by resetting panel, instructions for this are in the manual. That's it other than pairing your phone to the iNet, which again is very easy to do.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The most difficult bit may be getting behind the existing control.
I believe it's simple "plug 'n play" after that: Slip the iNet box between the controller and exiting wires (pull out the connection and plug it into iNet box, then plug iNet into where you pulled the connection).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a similar system at home (Nest) but for the van technical over kill. Average van is quick to heat up and with the CP Plus you have a timer anyway, if your skiing you would be leaving the heating constantly on anyway.
For 50 quid I would have one but not at those prices.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
How much does the kit cost in the UK - off eBay or elsewhere?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I was thinking of this mod to mine, but decided against it as the actual CPPlus panel does most things. You can programme the heating and or water etc to come on before you get in. If you want it to heat before you get to you unit then you have to have gas on etc all the time. If you park at home. Pop in and turn it on. It is a really easy fit though. Plug and play and find a power source. 240v if you have air con.

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
A class Concorde liner 89
Exp
Since 2011
I have had the Alde smart control for 18 months now, a great way of monitoring the van. I have an auto SMS app as well which sends a text to the unit every morning so I can see inside and outside temps, confirm 230 volt connected etc. It sends alarm texts for most conditions, except 230 volt fail which is one I would like. Setting the heating and hot water remotely is useful when you want to return to a warm home!
Relieved to read this. I have just had the Alde control upgraded on our Concorde to this system and will be starting the set up process Monday afternoon I guess. :D

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Relieved to read this. I have just had the Alde control upgraded on our Concorde to this system and will be starting the set up process Monday afternoon I guess. :D
It's easy to set up but getting the right SIM provider is an issue. I use a PAYG but found three problematic, so on Alde advice switched to O2 and that works fine.

Peter S

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
Towcester
Funster No
MH
A class Concorde liner 89
Exp
Since 2011
It's easy to set up but getting the right SIM provider is an issue. I use a PAYG but found three problematic, so on Alde advice switched to O2 and that works fine.
thanks that's good to know. We bought an EE sim and left it with southbound with some credit on it so hopefully it will be ok.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just so you know the problem I had was that it worked OK then became spasmodic, so you would text it and not get a feed back, so you immediately think it's something with your phone or the unit. I even had my unit changed until they found the old one was fine. Joachim at Alde UK is helpful if you get in a pickle.

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
From all that I've read so far, the Truma CP Plus i-net ready panel will only let you program the heating to come on or go off once in 24 hours ? Also that you are not able to set a night time temperature, say for instance, 21 degrees off at 9.30pm, then 15 degrees from 10pm till 5.30am, then change to 21 degrees again from 6 am ? I could do all of this with the Alde system we had in Swift Bolero, 12 plate, but the Truma system seems a step back if I cannot set the night time ! Am I missing something simple ? We don't have the internet box fitted, think that just allows you to control from afar.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
With the CP-Plus if you want night time heating just turn the heating on set the temp you want & in the morning the timer settings will override it.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
For information, chatting to the Alde guys at the show about Smart Control. Its discontinued, unless you find stock at a dealer. Something I did not know is they are part of the same group as Truma and the iNet is being modified to replace the Smart Control, due out April but told not to hold my breath! And it has the same problem with SIMS it does not like GiffGaff, but is OK with Three.

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
The box is a fair chunk of cash but it’s worth every penny to turn up heating from the bed before you get up in the morning or from the pub when enjoying a bit of apres ski!

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Thanks ! I can see that I can physically alter the heating at night myself, but was hoping to be able to program it in somehow

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The box is a fair chunk of cash but it’s worth every penny to turn up heating from the bed before you get up in the morning or from the pub when enjoying a bit of apres ski!
Whats wrong with using the timer, can stay down the pub longer 300 quid buys a lot of pints.:D2

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Think you manually set temp for night and then time for morning at a different temp

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Lenny the timer would work but not if you came back from pub early
Come to think of it never had that problem:whistle:

Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Yes, Happy1 Think that's the only way, seems a shame that you can't use it the same as the Alde controls with night time settings. Just thought, if I were to set the "heater" to go off at 9.30pm, then program it to come on again, say,an hour later at a lower temperature, then off at dawn, then on again at 7am at the new higher temperature, do you think that would work ????:) (That's if it is possible to access the setting to accept it) Has anyone tried it ?

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
For information, chatting to the Alde guys at the show about Smart Control. Its discontinued, unless you find stock at a dealer. Something I did not know is they are part of the same group as Truma and the iNet is being modified to replace the Smart Control, due out April but told not to hold my breath! And it has the same problem with SIMS it does not like GiffGaff, but is OK with Three.
Hmmmmm, mine runs quite happily using a GiffGaff PAYG sim.;)

Perfect example of a pro v con for this system. Went out this morning forgetting whether I had turned down the heating. A quick check of the system status via sms and able to turn down accordingly so not to waste gas(y)

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Janeb way too complicated, we set night temp as we go to bed can be on elec1/2 or just gas if not on site, wake up at whatever time and turn heating up switching from elec to mix 2 to bring on the gas all from comfort of a warm bed and snooze for 10-15 mins as van warms up. Must admit though that i have forgotten that it has a timer!

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The timer will function only once a day
I think it's better to use the timer to control overnight temperatures rather than daytime, so set the duration you intend to be in bed and the 'set back' temperature for overnight.
There is reason for such apparent madness.
I'll try to explain later...

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
As promised (sorry to have kept you waiting!):

The following covers operation of a gas-only version. I did not bother with the electric option as I’m hardly ever on EHU and the premium for that option buys an awful lot of gas. I think it’s correct but as it’s from memory (which has never been 100% reliable) it may be better to ask if in doubt.

Press and hold the central round button to switch the whole thing ON or OFF.

When ON, the main display will alternate between the target temperature and the time of day. If not up to temperature, you will see a flashing flame.

The icons along the top (above the horizontal line) show the current status. If nothing shows, nothing has been set up. A flashing symbol indicates that the indicated function is active (eg heating). Note that if the TIMER is flashing (top RH icon) the system is under timer control and the other symbols are being over-ridden by whatever has been set for the timer.

The timer can come on and go off only once within each 24hr period. Because the night-time requirement is pretty standard, I set the clock to operate a ‘set-back’ temperature overnight. Then, during the daytime, I can more easily adjust the temperature manually (we may go out for part of the day, or need extra warmth when inactive during the evening).

Tap the control button. This will change from the Time/Temp display to showing the menu icons, and select the first one (top LH corner = motorhome). You can choose which menu properties you want to set by rotating the control knob. The selected menu item flashes. Rotate the control knob in either direction until the TIMER icon (a kind of stopwatch symbol, bottom LH corner) flashes, then tap the button to select that option.

You now set the start time, fixing the hours first and then the minutes. I set this to 11:00pm. Assuming a 24hr display (this can be changed in ‘set-up’) you rotate the first two digits to get 23 and tap the button then set the minutes (00, 30, or whatever) and tap again. You are now invited to set the finish time. It may seem illogical to set a time that is before the finish but 7:00am (say) will be treated as the next day. Set the end time in the same way as the start time (hours, then minutes). A 12hr display uses ‘A’ or ‘P’ to denote am or pm.

You are not finished, yet. Next you must set the room and water temperatures, which are done in sequence. First set the room temperature (I use 12°C, anything over 15°C may be too warm) and tap the control button. Next set the water temperature (OFF is a good idea, to prevent unnecessary noises from the boiler overnight). The energy source would come next but is skipped as mine has no alternative source. Set the fan level to ECO and tap. Finally, activate the timer by setting it ON and tapping the control button.

If done successfully, the TIMER symbol (stopwatch) will appear in the top LH corner and it will flash when it is in operation.

The temperatures you have set will be used when the TIMER is ON (icon flashing). At all other times the standard settings apply (see below).

To set the room temperature:

Tap the control button (twice). The first tap will wake-up the setting options and offer the room temp (motorhome) first, which you need to tap to select. The current target temperature will appear and this can be increased or decreased by rotating the control knob (between 5°C and 30°C). Remember to tap the new setting to save it into the system else nothing will change! This temperature is the one that the unit will try to achieve unless the timer comes on to over-ride it. The thermostat is just above the habitation door.

Remember that the temperature that was set just before the timer comes into operation (in the evening) is the temperature it will resume to when the timer switches off (in the morning).

With the above set-up

1) Heating is on all the time but we don’t get too hot at night because the target is dropped to 12°C

2) Heating warms up to the desired temperature in time for us to get out of bed

3) Changes to the temperature are easily made by tapping the control button and rotating it (it would take more ‘taps’ to adjust the timed settings)

4) The timer is a simple 24hour job and does not recognise the day of the week, so you’ll need to retire and arise at a fairly regular time.

I hope you're glad you asked! :sneaky:

Stay cosy!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Just a note to Rogher's excellent instructions, after setting the timer on the latest CP-Plus controlers the timer is On and you just need to tap the knob to complete the setting. On the eairler ones ones after setting the timer it was Off and you have to rotate the knob to select On.

Another difference is if the heater is running on the timer if you turn the select heating & turn the temperature up it overides the timer and the heater carries on working after the time period.
On the newer ones it will still turn off at the end of the time period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back