Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
Help please guys
I've recently purchased a 2017 Benimar MH privately and noticed a slightly unpleasant smell in the unit. So, I assumed the previous owners were perhaps not overly particular with their cleaning. Consequently I went through the complete MH meticulously cleaning every part - including removal of all of the fitted covers washing and replacing, scrubbing out the cooker, fridge, sanitising the grey and freshwater tanks, Thetford cassette unit etc etc - I did happen to find that one of the 2 wastes in shower tray was blocked and assumed this was the culprit so I unblocked and cleaned it through – unfortunately all to no avail and the smell persists.
Anyway, I am now thinking the smell seems to be emanating from the Truma heating system. Has anybody else experienced this? Are there any cures or do I just have to accept it as part of the operation this equipment?
Any help you could give would be very much appreciated
Craig

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Unfortunately there is a smell from all truma units especially if heating water only with gas. It is because the boiler gets so hot it produces that smell. I find water and heating smells far less.

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
Unfortunately there is a smell from all truma units especially if heating water only with gas. It is because the boiler gets so hot it produces that smell. I find water and heating smells far less.
Ok thanks for that. The smell does seem to be residual and I'm not sure if the previous owners did this. Since I have owned it (not long!) I have had both the water and heating on and (apart from initially trying the gas operation to check it works) I have only used mains electric. Still the smelisn't so bad that it wont be suopercedded with a take-out currry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The gas burner is far hotter than the 2 electric ones. It does subside when the water is hot though.(y)

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
You reckon, oh dear - I'll definitely have to check that one out :eek:

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Have read of this problem on another forum in the past.
It was even more apparent if the current/previous owners had dogs in the van, as they shed lots of hair etc.
I wish I could remeber how they sorted the problem, but we dont have dogs so didn't absorb the remedy.
Its always makes me smile when I read that 9/10 second hand vans for sale state non smokers, no dogs.:D2
Les

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
Hmm well they were definitely non-smokers - but they did also have a pet dog that travelled with them - another reason for my intense (if unsuccessful) cleaning regime :cautious:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
They all smell when you fire them up after they haven’t been used for a while.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
As other people have said Truma's can give a slight burning smell which is very alarming! Truma even confirmed it! The smell does not linger, so if you have a residual smell I would suggest it is something else.

I used the dyson to suck any dust from the heating vent pipes and around the boiler and I do find that after a couple of days use the Truma stops produing any noticable odour. It is like a burnt electrical smell so if your 'smell' is not like that, then it may well not be the Truma!

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Dead mouse in the system somewhere?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Put all the plugs in all the drain holes. Fire the heating up and run it flat out for an hour. Then see what happens with smell.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
they all smell to a certain extent, however a strong odour may be bacteria related. some people have had good results with a can of car air con steriliser

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
As other people have said Truma's can give a slight burning smell which is very alarming! Truma even confirmed it! The smell does not linger, so if you have a residual smell I would suggest it is something else.

I used the dyson to suck any dust from the heating vent pipes and around the boiler and I do find that after a couple of days use the Truma stops produing any noticable odour. It is like a burnt electrical smell so if your 'smell' is not like that, then it may well not be the Truma!
That's interesting - I'll certainly give that a go. Thank you

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
As above from TheBig1, this sort of product, normally used if the aircon is blowing smelly air
1572454645013.png

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Only ever had a smell from a Combi the first few times it's used from brand new.
Check the 4 ducting pipes are connected to the boiler as if one comes off it will be blowing hot aire to its surroundings and can overheat. Also if too many of the ducting outlets are closed they can overheat.

Dirtyhands

Free Member
Nov 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I read a book about it once...
This is a very common problem with the newer Truma combi boilers. The way to solve it is to put a ‘u’ into the ducting pipe work between the heater and the vents. I had a chat with the tech guys from Truma and it was their recommendation, it does work.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Smells can be difficult to locate, we had an unpleasant smell in our RV when we had it. It turned out to be the bedroom carpet and we only noticed when the heating was on. One of the vents must have been warming up the smelly patch and blowing the odour around the van.
We replaced it and the smell went. Can you describe the smell? We have a Combi 6 and apart from a slight smell for a few minutes when it was new, we get zero odours from it.
One of our previous vans, with a Combi 4 occasionally had a hot plasticky smell if it was turned up high, but i think that was because it had only two outlets and they got very hot.
If you get your nose close to one of the heater outlets, if it’s not too hot, is the smell stronger?

Do you have carpets or mats in the van? If you do, can you remove them then see if the smell diminishes or goes completely?

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
This is a very common problem with the newer Truma combi boilers. The way to solve it is to put a ‘u’ into the ducting pipe work between the heater and the vents. I had a chat with the tech guys from Truma and it was their recommendation, it does work.
How interesting I will definitely try that. I have reduced the smell somewhat (but not entirely) as suggested by somebody previously I found that one of the circular vent flaps was stuck shut, and the plastic gave off a noticeable smell when it became hot.

OP
OP
Craig Mileo

Craig Mileo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2019
Finchingfield
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 331
Exp
1 day!
Smells can be difficult to locate, we had an unpleasant smell in our RV when we had it. It turned out to be the bedroom carpet and we only noticed when the heating was on. One of the vents must have been warming up the smelly patch and blowing the odour around the van.
We replaced it and the smell went. Can you describe the smell? We have a Combi 6 and apart from a slight smell for a few minutes when it was new, we get zero odours from it.
One of our previous vans, with a Combi 4 occasionally had a hot plasticky smell if it was turned up high, but i think that was because it had only two outlets and they got very hot.
If you get your nose close to one of the heater outlets, if it’s not too hot, is the smell stronger?

Do you have carpets or mats in the van? If you do, can you remove them then see if the smell diminishes or goes completely?

No I removed the carpets from day one, as being a walker they were impractical. The smell is definitely coming from the heater ducting. But I do have a couple of remedies I have yet to try from other contributors. I feel pretty sure one or more of their suggestions will sort it. When I have done so I will post my findings; but thanks for your input.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back