Truma frost drain will not shut. (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
IMG_7668.JPEG
IMG_7662.JPEG

After fetching the motorhome from storage I filled with water and found the Truma drain/frost valve will not close. Despite the 'pop out' button being in, water is draining out. I have tried repeatedly turning the top switch 90degrees but the pop out button does not pop out and the water continues to drain.

Anyone got any suggestions ? I have run the heating for about half an hour in case it was too cold. I guess air temp was about 6/8 degrees today.

Paul.

OP
OP
paulhelenwilko
Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
It appears to have resolved itself and is now closing normally. Why the button was stuck in the closed position but with an open drain I do not know.
In case it happens at an inconvenient time I bought bits of pipe and joints so I can by pass the frost valve if neccessary.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I fill a hot water bottle and lie it against the frost valve till I can get the van warmed through works every time šŸ‘

A "hot water bottle", are they still available ??? Still, we live in the south, so probably not readily available here. Good idea though, thanks for the tip :giggle:

OP
OP
paulhelenwilko
Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Don't bypass it ,just keep it closed with a peg or similar when your using the van, if your not in charge it could cost you a boiler. :eek:
See pics, the valve type is not of the sort where you can use a peg.
I will only by pass if the valve plays up when we are using the van and I need an emergency fix. Otherwise the system will be drained down.

Surely using a peg also puts your boiler at risk as well if it freezes ?

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
If you use something to stop the valve from opening,yes I agree it could allow the system to freeze up and damage the boiler When the temp drops but then your in charge of making sure you allow the valve to open once your van is warm. If you by pass the valve you have no control and if you leave water in the system and it freezes when your away from the van you may end up with a burst or damaged boiler.
Most "frost"valves tend to be set to open around 4deg as a safety measure
Best policy is to always drain out during cold weather if the van is not being used (y)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
In emergencies to save re jigging the pipe work put a cable tie round the valve that you can slip over the button,maybe with something behind it.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
At least those pics shows the OP can see the frost valve. Mine is the same type, but completely hidden from view, so it has to be operated entirely by feel.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Am I right in presuming the blue button needs to be fully in when it is working, hence keeping it in with a peg or cable tie as suggested above?

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
Had the same problem last winter. The valve wonā€™t reset until itā€™s above appx 4degC. So depends how well calibrated they are so might be a degree or 2 above this.

OP
OP
paulhelenwilko
Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I do not think the peg or cable tie method would work with my type of frost valve. The button was depressed (normal) but water still draining, so holding it in would not have helped.
When talking about using a peg I assume people are talking about this type of frost valve.

1640369125796.png

Paul

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Shut my frost valve yesterday. Same type as yourself. Press button in and hold. Turn the top lever around so itā€™s the other way. Sometimes takes a few goes, this year first go.

08446A6C-33CF-42B0-A53A-A9CF8F7125FE.png

May 31, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Pilote evidence 740
Exp
Ours was working fine up until yesterday then we started dumping water intermittently. It dumps for about 5 seconds then stops. Then 5 mins later dumps again for a short while. We then just turn the pump off . The van is lovely and warm as is the boiler compartment. The blue button is always pushed in but when I turn the pump on we dump again. It is very annoying and a waste of water !! Any advice please !!

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I fitted the Truma heater element to the valve a few weeks back. Not had chance to test it yet though.

May 31, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Pilote evidence 740
Exp
So when the van is in use it is that button that needs to be fully pushed in, and hopefully no lasting damage to boiler will occur. When the blue button is "in" their is still a bit of movement in it . So is the movement on the button what I need to tighten using something like your 3d bracket

OP
OP
paulhelenwilko
Jan 13, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Have you tried turning the top lever throā€™ 90 degrees and pushing the button in a few times ? I can imagine that a bit of grit /scale can make the valve stick ?

I am not a fan of routinely using pegs or such to keep the valve closed as it stops it doing itā€™s job ie preventing damage to the boiler.

However if the valve is faulty and you are confident you can keep the boiler ā€˜warmā€™ then needs must.

May 31, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Pilote evidence 740
Exp
Have you tried turning the top lever throā€™ 90 degrees and pushing the button in a few times ? I can imagine that a bit of grit /scale can make the valve stick ?

I am not a fan of routinely using pegs or such to keep the valve closed as it stops it doing itā€™s job ie preventing damage to the boiler.

However if the valve is faulty and you are confident you can keep the boiler ā€˜warmā€™ then needs must.
Yes I have tried that in the past. I will try it again . I am thinking the same about forcing the the valve shut. .. but I am wondering what would you do if you were in proper freezing weather??? ie. Minus 10 in the French alps

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Ours was working fine up until yesterday then we started dumping water intermittently. It dumps for about 5 seconds then stops. Then 5 mins later dumps again for a short while. We then just turn the pump off . The van is lovely and warm as is the boiler compartment. The blue button is always pushed in but when I turn the pump on we dump again. It is very annoying and a waste of water !! Any advice please !!
The valve is also a system pressure release. And from recent reading they have a lot of newer vans with a problem of them dumping due to pressure build up, then causing the pump to kick in, the system then re pressurises, and valve again dumps some.

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
I have a slightly different problem. The valve opens but the water doesnā€™t dump. Fortunately the weather has been quite mild but I have an electric heater in the van just in case. I nearly dumped when I discovered the cost of a new valve, about Ā£150. Currently I have bought a manually operated valve which I intend to swap over and see if I can get the automatic dump valve working again. Course the swap will be made more interesting by about 10 litres of water waiting to escape

May 31, 2020
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Pilote evidence 740
Exp
The valve is also a system pressure release. And from recent reading they have a lot of newer vans with a problem of them dumping due to pressure build up, then causing the pump to kick in, the system then re pressurises, and valve again dumps some.
Thanks Andy. That seems the problem with our van. Any idea what the solution can be and what needs replacing or repairing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back