Free Member
Aug 20, 2021
Staplehurst, Tonbridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Returning to MHoming after 11 years
On my Adria there is a mains control and the CP control next to it, If I turn off the mains control off I receive a message from my Inet box (Truma wireless accessory) that power to the boiler has been cut off, even though there is a message on the CP Panel. So it may be true that the panel is on but the boiler is off. I guess it depends on the van configuration. Guy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On my Adria there is a mains control and the CP control next to it, If I turn off the mains control off I receive a message from my Inet box (Truma wireless accessory) that power to the boiler has been cut off, even though there is a message on the CP Panel. So it may be true that the panel is on but the boiler is off. I guess it depends on the van configuration. Guy
Different manufacturers do wire the boiler differently, Hymer wire the boiler to a permanent live bypassing the EBL distribution unit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Just a point they only work while the heater is on so unless your frost valve is in a cold spot nowhere near the boiler there is not much point in fitting one.
OK

But the CP-Plus controller is perminantly on so if you had a cold snap it wouldn't dump.
I checked the pins on the PCB with a multimeter. The power to the valve heater comes on whenever the control panel is active. Neither gas nor mains electricity is required. The intended purpose would be to permit filling of fresh water as one arrives at a campsite, otherwise the dump valve will remain open. So yes, if you filled up at home, and left the control panel on, then went to a supermarket in sub zero temperatures, then yes, you have bypassed the safety of the system, and you have permitted the risk of frost damage.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I checked the pins on the PCB with a multimeter. The power to the valve heater comes on whenever the control panel is active. Neither gas nor mains electricity is required. The intended purpose would be to permit filling of fresh water as one arrives at a campsite, otherwise the dump valve will remain open. So yes, if you filled up at home, and left the control panel on, then went to a supermarket in sub zero temperatures, then yes, you have bypassed the safety of the system, and you have permitted the risk of frost damage.
Surely your take on it defeats the object, if it’s live it will not dump.

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Surely your take on it defeats the object, if it’s live it will not dump.
Correct, but an element of common sense needs to be applied. The heater gives the operator greater control of the dump valve. The expectation is that when the system is filled with fresh water, the gas or mains heating system is then going to be active (or shortly afterwards).

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Correct, but an element of common sense needs to be applied. The heater gives the operator greater control of the dump valve. The expectation is that when the system is filled with fresh water, the gas or mains heating system is then going to be active (or shortly afterwards).
I understand operator input but the system does not have a program of this expectation.
My interest in this is that l am using a PVC for a turnaround trip to Gibraltar in a week or so and anticipate low temperatures on the journey, l am used to Alde,therefore,dumping is a fear fracture l have never experienced.

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
I understand operator input but the system does not have a program of this expectation.
My interest in this is that l am using a PVC for a turnaround trip to Gibraltar in a week or so and anticipate low temperatures on the journey, l am used to Alde,therefore,dumping is a fear fracture l have never experienced.
Fully agree with your comments re Alde. Our present van has Alde, so for our purpose a dump valve heater would be superfluous. Our last van had a Truma Combi. We live in North of Scotland, and use the van throughout the winter, so we both needed, and used the valve heater. I understand that use of this will bypass the dump valve's intended use, however I am in control of that. Before I fitted the heater, I would put water in the tank (which of course drained out slowly) drive to the pitch, plug into EHU and use my wife's hairdryer to heat the dump valve until it remained closed itself. With Alde, we arrive on site fully heated after the journey....!

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The truma electric heating element is powered when the boiler is on only otherwise as others have said "it would render the dump valve useless"
I know it works this way from using one, not from hearsay!

Guyadria

Free Member
Aug 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
This was from another forum some years ago. On the basis of this I have ordered one.

It continued to trouble me though that the possibility remained that it could do so was always there lurking in the background, so we have since ordered and fitted (£35 incl P&P) the dump-valve pre-heater for a bit of reassurance. It was a doddle to fit just plugging into a hole in the valve body and connecting to the Combi with a dedicated plug that connected to a waiting socket on the boiler. The pre-heater maintains the dump valve at 10C only when the combi is powered up (not necessarily switched on/running). Once the boiler has fired up and warmed its 10litres of water it then shuts down and 'sleeps' only running if a top-up is required ... I suppose that overnight in seriously freezing conditions the pre-heater would then make sure that even if the compartment containing the dump valve goes stone cold, the valve itself stays above the threshold temperature so the warmed water then remains in the tank and does not end up on the ground. I think that perhaps this extra heater will only really come into its own in the most severe conditions and is perhaps aimed at rugged Continental types heading off to the Alps in winter.

UNQUOTE

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not according to post #34.
It depends what the poster means panel active.
If its manual dials the truma heater/boiler is only on if the blow air or the water heating is turned on, then the element is powered.
If its the CP+ the panel is always active and the element is only powered if the heating or water are selected to be on

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
As far as I understand, when you turn on the Truma control panel it supplies 12v to the circuit, this would keep the element active, ( the heater and water can be off.)

The following from Truma shows the element operates to 7 deg. The text indicates once the temp drops below 3 deg it dumps, unless you have the frost control fitted and active

So you could park at a supermarket and if the temperature drops to less than three deg you could loose your water, but if the frost control element is fitted and the Truma control panel is simply turned on ,and your 12 v electrics on too, then you have the element active.

From the manual......
At temperatures of less than
approx. 3 °C the FrostControl
opens automatically / without heater op-
eration the FrostControl can-
not be closed again until the
temperature reaches approx.
7 °C / use heating element for
FrostControl
Any chance you could scan the manual, I can't find one anywhere. Many thanks.

Guyadria

Free Member
Aug 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Well I shall soon find out as heater as arrived. Package says 0.4A consumption WITH Truma Combi switched on.
20211201_123648.jpg

Guyadria

Free Member
Aug 20, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Okay 30 minute job and heater fitted. As Jezport says, it does not power on with the boiler simply connected. The boiler needs to be "running".

20211201_131024.jpg
20211201_131117.jpg

hotpot75

Free Member
Dec 11, 2022
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Geist Rotec lift 652
This is the small heater element which plugs into the frost control valve at one end & plugs into my Combi 6E at the other for it's power.
Does anyone know where I can buy one. I believe the Truma part number is: 70070-01.
Thanks George
Can you please advise does this item stop just thhe water in the boiler from being dumped.. Or doee it stop the whole contents of your clean water tank. Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can you please advise does this item stop just thhe water in the boiler from being dumped.. Or doee it stop the whole contents of your clean water tank. Thanks in advance.
Depends on where your tank is mounted. If above the valve it will dump the tank as well, if the valve is above the tank it will only dump the boiler.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
Any chance on letting on where you sourced it from? I still want one. I believe the Truma boiler has a specific connection point for the plug under the connection cover, and obviously the heater element slots into the frost control valve. I imagine the bracket is to keep it in an engaged. Guy
If you still need one, just got one from here £ £55 ish delivered, they had three instock (70070-01)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back