LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I don't have a practical bone in my body, so I'm not complaining about the level of DIY knowledge of Him Indoors, but we have a couple of questions about the Truma Combi Boiler please. He can't find the answer in the handbook - it's probably too basic a question, they'll think everybody knows....:happy:
He's drained the main tank with all of the mixer taps open & turned to the 'hot' end.
1] will this have drained the boiler tank?
2] if it has, can we use the blown-air heater, or does this need the boiler (and/or main tank) to be filled?
Thanks in advance!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Q1 .. No .. draining the fresh tank does not drain the hot water boiler.. the boiler has an auto-drain valve that opens when the ambient drops to about 6 deg c to protect it from freezing.
Q2 .. you can still use the warm air heating whether it is drained or not

Upvote 0
OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks ScotJimland. This clears up another question too. As complete beginners we were bemused at hand-over, and the dealer said the MH drained automatically to avoid freezing, we thought he meant the whole system but the manual says not... so it must just be the boiler then. 3 answers for the price of 2!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It depends on the age and model of your boiler but the principle is the same. The frost protection is a 'last chance' to avoid freezing issues but really you should drain the boiler manually. We had the auto drain activate itself in France last year (it was bl£$dy cold!) and when I went to fill up it took me about 20 mins and a lot of wasted water to work out that I had not reset the 'set' button on the boiler.....(as I was filling the fresh tank up it was all coming out the bottom of the van:blusher:)

Anyway, as Jim says the old thread covers it in more detail...

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Our MoHo ha s a manual drain valve on the Truma Combi, I expect different MoHo manufacturers do things differently.
What was not pick up on your original post was that the taps must be set to the mid position to drain both hot and cold pipes. The taps should be left open in the mid position through out the winter to protect them from frost.

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back