Truma combi boiler insulation (1 Viewer)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our boiler is under our side settee/bed and makes the area above very warm especially in summer. We do turn it off at night but then the water cools rapidly. In our previous van (2002 era ) the water would stay hot for a long time.
Has anyone fitted any insulation material around their combi, is it safe to do so and what did you use? The outside of the boiler is quite hot to the touch.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
Maybe the foil pieces that go behind rads at home.could be glued/attached to underside of ply?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi

I have raised this issue many times. The Combi 4 & 6 have virtually no thermal insulation, even though Truma describe the plastic/cardboard outer covering as a thermal insulator???
It is outrageous that manufacturers can produce a boiler without adequate thermal insulation, but as it is the leisure market we are discussing, then scrap any thoughts of the environment etc. If they were to produce such a product for the home installation market, it would be very quickly banned on the grounds of efficiency.
I have a modest thermal blanket over the Combi, but still need to set to 40 degrees for a good night's sleep.
Whatever you decide on, be mindful that the boiler needs an adequate supply of air to the burner and ducting system.
Geoff

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you insulate the boiler it will probably overheat and cut out.
We just have the boiler come on with the timer for an hour or so in the morning for our showers, anything else just boil a kettle, saves a lot of gas.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
How about a reflective, insulated, board attached to the underside of the slats of the settee to reduce heat transference through the settee? And, in addition, an extractor fan set up to a) remove excess heat to the outside in the summer :hot:and b) to remove excess heat into the habitation area in the winter. If you could establish exactly where the hot water holding tank is in the heater, you may be able to insulate around that part only. Pity to waste spare heat at certain times of the year. 🥶.

Some of the guys have already built some fan set ups for their Fridge / Freezer units to improve cooling, you might get some ideas there.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We just have the boiler come on with the timer for an hour or so in the morning for our showers, anything else just boil a kettle, saves a lot of gas.
When not on EHU, that’s what we do too. We were on EHU at Highlands End so left the hot water on. I take the point about overheating the unit. There is a drop vent in the floor alongside and a rectangular open grid affair in the side of the bed base.
Hubby likes having warm feet so that’s not really much of a problem but I was thinking of the wasted energy in trying to keep the tank hot.
Thanks for all replies.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
How about a reflective, insulated, board attached to the underside of the slats of the settee to reduce heat transference through the settee? And, in addition, an extractor fan set up to a) remove excess heat to the outside in the summer :hot:and b) to remove excess heat into the habitation area in the winter. If you could establish exactly where the hot water holding tank is in the heater, you may be able to insulate around that part only. Pity to waste spare heat at certain times of the year. 🥶.

Some of the guys have already built some fan set ups for their Fridge / Freezer units to improve cooling, you might get some ideas there.
Yes we have put fridge fans in the vents, they work brilliantly.
When it is cold enough to require heating, we do find that the Truma is up to the job anyway and we only need it on 2 or 3 on the setting.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
Wouldn’t the the thermostat still cut it off at 40degreees or 60 as per normal before overheating?
surely it would only overheat if the air supply was hindered

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Wouldn’t the the thermostat still cut it off at 40degreees or 60 as per normal before overheating?
surely it would only overheat if the air supply was hindered
I'm fairly certain there is a boiler overheat thermostat as well because when on heating mode if there are not enough vents open or a poor installation they cut out.

SD j

Free Member
May 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin supreme
Exp
Since 2000
I'm fairly certain there is a boiler overheat thermostat as well because when on heating mode if there are not enough vents open or a poor installation they cut o
There definitely is an overheat stat as a failsafe , but my point is that the operating stat should kick in well before the unit overheats.?

Graham of Madrid

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glamys 40
Exp
Since 2019
If this is about keeping the hot water you don't need hot until a time that you might need it later, maybe tomorrow, probably better to heat only the water you need now. I've stopped leaving the water heater on all the time even at night when I'm not using it. Just have to remember to switch it on 20 minutes before you need it.

Am I under-thinking this ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
When not on EHU, that’s what we do too. We were on EHU at Highlands End so left the hot water on. I take the point about overheating the unit. There is a drop vent in the floor alongside and a rectangular open grid affair in the side of the bed base.
Hubby likes having warm feet so that’s not really much of a problem but I was thinking of the wasted energy in trying to keep the tank hot.
Thanks for all replies.
Less lightly to overheat if insulated if running on mains as there are only 2 x 900 watt elements.

Every van we have had the Truma has been gas only, not prepared to pay the extra £400 for the mains heating elements that have a high failure rate also cheaper to run on gas.

OP
OP
Riverbankannie

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If this is about keeping the hot water you don't need hot until a time that you might need it later, maybe tomorrow, probably better to heat only the water you need now. I've stopped leaving the water heater on all the time even at night when I'm not using it. Just have to remember to switch it on 20 minutes before you need it.

No you are quite correct - it’s the remembering that lets me down :whistle2:
It’s just noticeable, the difference between our earlier version one and the newer one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Apart from showers it's easier to boil a kettle for washing up etc. Why heat up 10 Lt of water when you only need 1 Lt of hot water, a waste of energy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back