Truma Combi 9 yellow flashes & won't start (1 Viewer)

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
hello all,

We're in the middle of Northern France and it's very cold! Unfortunately the Truma Combi has started to play up after working well for five days.

We're now getting the 9 flashes of the yellow light when I try turning on the heating, in any mode. You can hear the system start up and the heating commence. Sometimes you can even feel warm air start to come out of the vents but then the system suddenly shuts down and the sequence of 9 flashing yellow lights commences. The gas refrigerator and stove are still working and we've tried an alternate gas bottle.

Does anyone have any suggestions about possible options?

Thanks

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
@Badboo.

Sorry, I'm unable to help with that model (too new for me), but this should bring your thread back up near the top of the page.

Good luck getting the help you need. (y) In the meantime, you might find something of relevance in this lot.

Broken Link Removed

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't help a lot apart to say you need to look at the flashing led to get the code as it will be a series of short & long flashes, then look it up in the table Jock has given you links to.
Have you checked the obvious like the flue outlet is not blocked, spiders love building nests in them, not normally at this time of year. It does sound like a combustion failure, as it starts up the combustion fan is running so possibly a faulty sensor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys. Sorry for your issues! We had a similar problem on our last van. The fact the other systems are ok points it towards the combustion side of things. Just as a matter of interest..full reset? Switch it all off. Cuddle up for a mo!
Then restart it again. Any good? Ours ended up being a Temp sensor in the boiler it self.
Something to do with 'Lock out' ?
Kev

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
is it a combi 6e, cant find anything on a combi9?

link to flash codes...

Broken Link Removed

All of them are only 8 flashes though!!

so is the flashing on the controller or on the actual combi unit?
is the controller one of the newer ones with an LCD panel - if so it should be showing an error code

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We've got the C6002, which doesn't give out fault codes like that.
Green = On
Amber = Water heating up
Red = No gas
Flashing Red = Low voltage

I reckon @Badboo's is the next generation of combi boiler, or later.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
I think he meant 9 flashes, I assume it is either a C6002 or a Combi 6 with the Classic controller.
ah...yes...that would make sense :D

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
bit more checking - if you have a the rotary dial controls and this is where the yellow LED is flashing then the following is from the operating instructions

yellow LED flashes 9 x (approx. 30 seconds after switching on the heating system) – Gas cylinder or quick-acting valve in gas supply line closed – Check gas supply and open valves

to operating instructions

OP
OP
Badboo

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
This our first!!
bit more checking - if you have a the rotary dial controls and this is where the yellow LED is flashing then the following is from the operating instructions

yellow LED flashes 9 x (approx. 30 seconds after switching on the heating system) – Gas cylinder or quick-acting valve in gas supply line closed – Check gas supply and open valves

to operating instructions
Yes sorry I should have included the flash code in my original post. The guide indicates "Gas cylinder or quick-acting valve in gas supply line closed – Check gas supply and open valves". However the gas supply to the stove and refrigerator are working normally

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Whatever the cause @Badboo, keep us informed please, as to how you get on. I'd be pleased (as would others) to know what was the cause of the failure, and how you ovecame it. (y)

Reading @Stroppy Bird's post, having a bulk gas tank, we don't suffer with the problem of failed or blocked regulators, (oily residue for some) but many have over the years, and as a result carry a spare regulator.

Cheers,

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It could be a failing regulator When mine was on it's way out the fridge and hob still worked but not the Combi.
Now we know what the code means it could well be the regulator as the Combi requirers a high gas flow rate.
@Badboo is it a Truma bulkhead regulator as these are the problematical onces, I always carry a bottle top regulator and connecting hose to bypass the Truma just in case.

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Where did you last get gas?
If it was a mix of butane and propane then apliances with high gas takeoff will fail as the lpg canot vaporise quickly in the cold.
Auto lpg is a mix of butane and propane in france and spain.
In spain can be 35% ish butane, so liable to fail in cold weather.
A method of checking is to slowly pour hot water over the cylinder to warm it slightly. If heater works for a minute or two then suggests insufficient gas getting to heater.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Badboo we have a similar problem with ours we are in Spain flash code was a series of eight and told me it was a circulating fan fault or replace circuit board have got appointment at Camperserv Portugal to get it sorted.code is -

SSSLLSSL
Originally thought it was gas but refilled and still the same.

OP
OP
Badboo

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
This our first!!
Thanks everyone. Turns out to be the gas pressure. Apparently both the bottles that we were using were sufficient for the stove and refrigerator but not for the heating. We purchased a new bottle and all is good....& much warmer.......which is good given tonight is forecast to go down to -7 ❄️
Another lesson learned...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Thanks everyone. Turns out to be the gas pressure. Apparently both the bottles that we were using were sufficient for the stove and refrigerator but not for the heating. We purchased a new bottle and all is good....& much warmer.......which is good given tonight is forecast to go down to -7 ❄️
Another lesson learned...
@Badboo, does that mean that you were running on Butane cylinders, and have now changed over to a Propane cylinder? Nice days, but chilly nights here in Spain, so in need of propane here too. ;)

Glad to see that you are now able to keep warm now. (y)

Cheers,

OP
OP
Badboo

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
This our first!!
@Badboo, does that mean that you were running on Butane cylinders, and have now changed over to a Propane cylinder? Nice days, but chilly nights here in Spain, so in need of propane here too. ;)

Glad to see that you are now able to keep warm now. (y)

Cheers,

No Jock. We already had Propane but apparently not enough in either bottle.

OP
OP
Badboo

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
Exp
This our first!!
Have you got both bottles turned on?
Yes. They just didn't have enough gas for the heating. According to Truma the heating's has consumption rate means that it will stop working when the gas bottles empty to a certain level even though the other appliances continue to work. I've suggested that this should be included in the product booklet that you receive with the motorhome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back