Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Hi, new here. Hope you can help!

I've been a caravanner for four years but hired a motorhome last year. Loved it so bought a new Rimor.

I'm struggling with gas (!) I've got the Truma CP giving me error code 517H. Yet the gas comes through the stove just fine. The Combi 6 just sort of sits there and sulks.

The van came with a steel propane bottle with standard calor pigtail. Regulator is the Truma MonoControl CS. Without it being empty, the error code came up. I don't like steel bottles and have always used the propane BP/MacGas Gas light with the 27mm clip on regulators.

I got the correct M20 x 21.8 lh pigtail and an adapter (not a second regulator obviously). All fitted together and sure enough, the gas cooker and oven works.

But the Combi 6? Nothing. Error code 517H.

Am I doing something stupid?

Thanks very much

Dave

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
@DDJC are you sure it is 517 H and not E17 H as I have looked at the fault code in the manual and cannot see 517. If it is E 17 H you are in hot water mode and the boiler is empty.

Upvote 0
Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
Hi error code E 517 H according to the manual is one of the following
gas cylinder or quick acting valve in the gas supply line closed
gas pressure regulation system faulty
combustion air infeed or exhaust outlet sealed
gas pressure regulation system iced up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
@DDJC are you sure it is 517 H and not E17 H as I have looked at the fault code in the manual and cannot see 517. If it is E 17 H you are in hot water mode and the boiler is empty.

Thanks Zigisla, the manual says that new codes were created for new Combi models from April 2018. Def E 517H. 95/100 it's for an empty gas bottle. But I'm using a new full one.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Probably the Truma regulator gummed up, will let enough gas through for the hob but can't supply the high flow rate the Combi needs.

Thanks, I was wondering whether its the regulator. BUT, it is new. Any suggestions about how to clear the regulator?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I find that if the gas bottle gets low the oven and hob work but the Truma wont till I fit a full bottle

Cheers Charliesgrandad, I was hoping that would be one of the explanations. However, the gas bottle is recently bought from Homebase. Could it be possible that the Truma regulator doesn't like the gas light pressure?

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks, I was wondering whether its the regulator. BUT, it is new. Any suggestions about how to clear the regulator?

Doesn't matter, could be faulty at manufacture..
And you don't want to be messing with the regulator, get it changed.
Unregulated pressure in the gaslite bottle will be the same as any other bottle in the same way the pressure in a 6kg bottle is no different to that in a 47kg bottle.... Its only the weight and content that differs.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Thanks all, for your advice.

My beloved suggested that as an interim, we put a small oil radiator in just to keep the frost away (we're drained for winter!). I thought, why not? An hour later, and I go to check and while I was in there the Combi just started! So my lightweight BP GasLight bottle and pigtail connection does work.

I can only assume that the boiler, or the gas bottle, or the regulator doesn't like the cold! It is now burning away merrily because it has warmed up. Is this normal? Does a boiler work better when its warm?

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Thanks all, for your advice.

My beloved suggested that as an interim, we put a small oil radiator in just to keep the frost away (we're drained for winter!). I thought, why not? An hour later, and I go to check and while I was in there the Combi just started! So my lightweight BP GasLight bottle and pigtail connection does work.

I can only assume that the boiler, or the gas bottle, or the regulator doesn't like the cold! It is now burning away merrily because it has warmed up. Is this normal? Does a boiler work better when its warm?

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.
Gas regulator can freeze up especially if they are outside but it doesn’t normally happen on a Motorhome.
Could be a bit of frozen condensation in regulator as they do have a tiny vent hole .
Could also be that the gas took a while to get through to the boiler and often appliances take a while to purge through the air in the system.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Is the Combi set for just heating? It will heat with no water in but if you have it set to water heating too it won’t like it.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
OP mentioned a "clip on" regulator in his first post, aren't they only for butane ? Thought propane ones were the LH thread screw in ones. If he's using butane, then he won't get far during this cold snap.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Are you using Butane, because that is no good in the cold!!

OP mentioned a "clip on" regulator in his first post, aren't they only for butane ? Thought propane ones were the LH thread screw in ones. If he's using butane, then he won't get far during this cold snap.

He does say he is using Propane with the 27mm clip on regulator. I assume one of these.
https://www.caravanaccessoryshop.co.uk/product/propane-clip-on-adaptor-27mm/3324

So he can use the propane BP/MacGas Gas light bottles.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Just to throw my oar in, sometimes the green crash sensor needs resetting using a long thin pointy object.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
........... Does a boiler work better when its warm?

No, it works whatever the temperature, be a bit pointless if it only worked in warm weather.
It’s the gas you have to watch, butane won’t work very well in cold temps, but as your using propane, it will be fine whatever the weather.

Upvote 0

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
You say it’s a new van but how new ?
Regulators can fail at any time as we have found out more than once .
We have a spare bulkhead regulator and a bottle top as a back up just in case ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
No, I got a 27mm adapter, not a 27mm regulator. Big difference!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
More importantly, the temp is a steady 10 deg. I'll reduce it down to five to cut the condensation risk (had a caravan for 5 years).
First trip is in three weeks. Overnight in Belgium and pick up Christmas booze on way back. Can't wait!!
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Dave

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back