Truma C3400 rebuild after 20 years (1 Viewer)

Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Have a TRUMA c3400 stripped down for a rebuild. inside coating and totally delaminated but after a clean and paint that will be sorted. It may need a replacement gas solenoid and i wonder if a Gas solenoid valve for C 4002 and C6002 will fit. It looks identical in photos and can be got in 50mbar form.If not does anyone have the gas solenoid from a C3400 from a boiler that has bit the dust. For interest sake i will include some photos to show the pitting that 20 years use can create. The lining almost came out in one piece which may have happened years ago and probably did.

Attachments

• c3004.jpg
    c3004.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 157
  • c3004a.jpg
    c3004a.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 150

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Nice job, look forward to more pictures and full report, mine is 16 years old, so it's a task I may have to undertake in the not so distant future, but don't think I would paint the inside of the boiler.. or have I misunderstood ?

Pitting likely caused by using bleach and or Milton to sanitise .. Truma specifically mention not to use either..

and for descaling they now recommend Citric Acid

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
So has the lining disintegrated, my old van had the same boiler and small blue and silver pieces would occasionally come out of the taps, I was told it was the lining and there was nothing you could do to repair it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tanex
Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
No it is just the coating applied by Truma to the outer alloy casing. Nothing to do with the stainless tank that it contains. With powder coat the surface and as long as it lasts for 5 mor years i will be happy. Only option down here was a 2E and none in stock .. yes same blue and silver pieces you describe. It was blocking the system and when opened there were entire sheets of the stuff.

OP
OP
tanex
Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Well the c3400 is now performing as it should. Eliminated the 12 volt dump valve and put a manual one in. Dismantling the cabinet around and above the boiler took some time and care. Option was to install a 2e.
Down here it is not legal to install a 4e or 6e. And I was not confident it would fit.
Now the fridge is not reliable so booked it into local Motorhome service centre. Lo and behold they gave me a c3402 they were tossing out. Looks like I will have to rebuild it now. I note it has the SS tank unlike the c3400 . It also has a 240 volt 450 watt corset .... It is 30 mbar but that can be changed. So if you take your time it is possible to restore these older Trumas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back