Truma boiler problem. Any advice please? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have heard back from all the local repairers and none of them can help.
Looks like I am going to have to go to truma directly and find a nearby campsite.....

PS: Sorry about the big picture on previous post...

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Truma

Try Alex Smith Caravan Servicing in Mansfield, he's not far away and he's mobile.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If you are at Redford Truma are only hour and ten mins away :winky:
Terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Retford to Truma is 58 mils mostly m way and major rds ::bigsmile:
My typo :winky: bloody predict typing
Terry

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As a matter of interest, have you taken it apart and had a look ?
they are pretty basic to work on and I am fairly sure if you look on the Truma web site you can download a complete exploded diagram of one..
I fixed my old one when the 240v element went

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As a matter of interest, have you taken it apart and had a look ?
they are pretty basic to work on and I am fairly sure if you look on the Truma web site you can download a complete exploded diagram of one..
I fixed my old one when the 240v element went

I am comfortable fitting gas appliances but stripping one down not so much.
I am an electrical/electronics guy and we are generally scared of water and gas because they don't mix well:ROFLMAO:

I have been poring over the schematics last night and trying to come up with a theory as to what/why this is happening. I am starting to think it may be the inlet valve(s) solenoid may be sticky. I tried the tapping thing previously mentioned but this didn't do anything.

I think maybe the valve is only partially opening initially then slowly opening the rest of the way. Depending on how long this takes dictates if it lights or not. It explains the partial ignitions (not enough gas) and explains the Brrrr noise which will happen as the 50Hz igniter gradually gets more gas. The Brrr does sound to be the same frequency as mains hum.

Anyway. I got a response back from Truma today and they have a 5 day lead time. I can't go without the boiler for 5 days so I am going to attempt to fix it myself...... I will be ordering a complete gasket/O ring set so I can at least put it back together should I have no luck.

I was hoping to have a chat with Dave Newell today but he is out until tomorrow. I will chat with him tomorrow but in the meantime I will order the parts...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've stripped many a solenoid valve down, compressed air rather than gas, they are remarkably delicate devices with fine bores like a carb. In air ones the solenoid is so low energy this usually opens a small pilot hole which uses the air to open the main valve, so they often clog if the air is not clean.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Grommet, don't know har far from peterborough you are but there's another post on here with a number for an engineer who has all the diagnostic equipment Broken Link Removed

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Grommet, don't know har far from peterborough you are but there's another post on here with a number for an engineer who has all the diagnostic equipment Broken Link Removed

That was my post but unfortunately the diagnostic kit is only for Combi 4/6 boilers and Karl's is an earlier version than that. :Sad:

Interestingly the kit will also diagnose faults with MotorMovers so if there are any closet caravanners out there ..............

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't believe it!!!! My boiler has started working properly all on it's own.

Grrrrr

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I don't believe it!!!! My boiler has started working properly all on it's own.

Grrrrr
As well as being pleased for you Karl, I am also convinced the problem is something to do with those gas solenoid valves, as mentioned previously :winky:
I hope it continues to work properly, especially at this time of year. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As well as being pleased for you Karl, I am also convinced the problem is something to do with those gas solenoid valves, as mentioned previously :winky:
I hope it continues to work properly, especially at this time of year. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Thanks Jock, I am getting more and more convinced it is a solenoid problem.

I had a water leak some months ago and it dripped down onto one side of the housing of the solenoid. It has bad water/limescale on the casing.

I have ordered some tools so I can strip it down, they arrived today so hopefully over the weekend I can take it to pieces and clean it up.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just an update. I know this happened back in 2012. But this is relevant...

There was a water leak which was dripping down onto the solenoid which caused it to cease to function. When it dried out it started working again.
I ended up making a plastic cover for it in case of a future water leak..

Anyway, the update.. It has worked solidly ever since without even the slightest hint of a problem until 2am tonight. Currently -5°C outside and I chucked away my emergency heater this summer... ( @Jim that was tempting fate)...

Anyway, I pulled the cover off the boiler cupboard and the plastic had melted all around the solenoid totally encasing it. :Eeek:

After 2 and a half hours with a hot air gun, snips and scissors I have finally got it totally cleaned. Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem...

I have stripped down the outside casing of the solenoid and the coils are clear. The wiring all seems intact and there is no way I can see for the plastic to prevent the solenoid from working but it still doesn't work.

Looks like it is going to be an extremely cold night tonight and tomorrow night and a drive to Magnum in Grimsby on Monday to buy a new heater and boiler :(

I can't go without heat/water at this time of year.

:swear2:

Surprisingly I am still smiling :Eeek::clap2:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just an update. I know this happened back in 2012. But this is relevant...

There was a water leak which was dripping down onto the solenoid which caused it to cease to function. When it dried out it started working again.
I ended up making a plastic cover for it in case of a future water leak..

Anyway, the update.. It has worked solidly ever since without even the slightest hint of a problem until 2am tonight. Currently -5°C outside and I chucked away my emergency heater this summer... ( @Jim that was tempting fate)...

Anyway, I pulled the cover off the boiler cupboard and the plastic had melted all around the solenoid totally encasing it. :Eeek:

After 2 and a half hours with a hot air gun, snips and scissors I have finally got it totally cleaned. Unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem...

I have stripped down the outside casing of the solenoid and the coils are clear. The wiring all seems intact and there is no way I can see for the plastic to prevent the solenoid from working but it still doesn't work.

Looks like it is going to be an extremely cold night tonight and tomorrow night and a drive to Magnum in Grimsby on Monday to buy a new heater and boiler :(

:swear2:

Surprisingly I am still smiling :Eeek::clap2:
Eek it’s minus here so must be very chilly for you. Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp

Karl, I am really sorry to hear of your Truma boiler woes, especially at this time of year. :cold: However, I am glad that you are still smiling. :xsmile:

I'd be really interested to know how you get on at Magnums, and what boiler you get fitted, to replace your current setup

Cheers for now,

Jock. :xsmile:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Found a boiler and heater. Major work needed doing to get them to fit and might be a bit of a squeeze.

Decided to do another bit of research. Got lucky and found a UK supplier of the solenoid coils :D
So I have ordered both a set of coils and the valve assembly.

I am convinced it is one of those two causing the problems. However, not looking forward to taking the valve assembly out. Bit concerned about the gasket as this boiler is coming up on 10 years old now.

Both on urgent delivery for Tuesday. So I know what I am doing tuesday afternoon (y)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
oh crap. Just went back to the 2 ebay listings to get links to show you what I had ordered and one of the seller is on holiday :( I didn't see that on the items page :(

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372101846315

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Good luck with it all Karl. :xThumb:

I'd like to source a complete C6002 boiler, but they are like rocking horse manure to get hold of. :xsad:

Cheers,

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I'd like to source a complete C6002 boiler, but they are like rocking horse manure to get hold of
Got to admit I did search on ebay for an old spares/repairs one to see if I could salvage parts from one that the board had gone in. No joy.

Got my self wrapped up. Boiled a load of water and made myself a coffee. Starting to get chilly. Keep give the van a quick blast with the hot air gun to keep the worst of the chill off.
If it gets too much colder will start the van up and get it warmed up with the engine heater... B & Q opens at 10. Will get a cheap low power convector heater to keep me going till tuesday.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Damnit, nearest B & Q is Louth. Just thought I would check the weather forecast. Snow at 10am so the roads may not be pleasant on my way back. Grrrrr...
Should be a fun day I think..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
In the south of the county, we already have a blanket of snow, so yours should be with you very soon Karl. :xsad:

Can you secure the hot air gun to something safely, and leave it running on a low setting? :xThumb:

Cheers,

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Karl

Fan heater on special at LIDL today

Nearest to you is Mablethorpe just a couple of miles.

John

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Welllll you won't effin believe it....

I decided rather than fighting the snow in both directions I would set off as soon as it got light (8am) and go to the subway on the industrial estate. Get the van nice and warm off the engine vents, get some warm food and a coffee while I wait for B & Q to open. I was there by 8:40. Doors opened at 9 which was a bit early I thought so went in. Nope, they let you browse but you can't pay for anything till 10am. Anyway, explained the situation hoping there was some way of getting the heaters and heading back before the snow got too bad. No chance unfortunately.
I said sods law I bet the boiler will start working when I get back :rofl:. Anyway went out to the van to have a smoke and thought I'd give the boiler a go. The bugger started straight up...... Put it on hot water thinking at least I will get a tank of hot water and a shower out of it.

Would you believe it....

Drove all the way back, Snowing nicely so taking it steady...

Plugged the van in, shut the gates, fed the birds, put the silver screen on and got into the van. Red light on again :(

Turned it off and on again and it started straight up.

I wish it would make it's mind up....

Anyway, at least I am prepared if it decides to kark it again.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ahhh, van is nice and toasty after a very cold night. Going to get some sleep now :D

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't believe this. The boiler has behaved itself perfectly and I have £200 of spare parts arriving tomorrow :(

Oh well. In with my ever growing spares collection :D

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My new Truma 6000 starts up at night, going whirr whirr WOOF! woof! woof !, it can be alarming if you are unaware of where you are just nodding off to sleep. it is directly below the drop down bed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back