Truma Boiler - heater won't light on gas (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
We're supposed to be leaving for France on Tuesday and discovered that our gas heater has failed. I had it in the workshop at our local dealership / repair place in July because it had been behaving oddly and they said that there was nothing wrong with it and just gave it a good clean out. It's now back into their workshops for emergency repair and they can't work out what's wrong. They've tried a new PCB and a new fan and neither has made any difference. Basically, it was lighting and then going off after a few minutes with the light going to red. It now won't light at all. Hot water works perfectly.
Any thoughts?
From Desperate Mags

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Only think I can think of off hand is change your regulator at the LPG bottle & failing that, try a different bottle of gas.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have they got the fault code (flashing lights)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bungy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
alas, no more
Exp
Since 2007
We're supposed to be leaving for France on Tuesday and discovered that our gas heater has failed. I had it in the workshop at our local dealership / repair place in July because it had been behaving oddly and they said that there was nothing wrong with it and just gave it a good clean out. It's now back into their workshops for emergency repair and they can't work out what's wrong. They've tried a new PCB and a new fan and neither has made any difference. Basically, it was lighting and then going off after a few minutes with the light going to red. It now won't light at all. Hot water works perfectly.
Any thoughts?
From Desperate Mags
Which model?
And is the water working on gas?

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Have they got the fault code (flashing lights)?
It's in at Knowepark and they haven't told me about the fault code. They are Truma registered so I'm assuming they know what they're doing but they seem to be stumped. They're trying a new gas valve just now. We have Gaslow fitted and it has been checked twice and is working fine.

bungy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
alas, no more
Exp
Since 2007
It's a Truma C (not sure of model number as it's in the workshop). The water works on gas but the heating fails.
We have a combi 6e and had a similar issue a few years ago, and it was a gummed up combustion fan, once given a good clean it worked again..and have cleaned it every year since!!!
Not sure If the c boilers have a similar set up though

Edit- just realised, cant be same problem, as ours wouldnt light at all

Last edited:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have a combi 6e and had a similar issue a few years ago, and it was a gummed up combustion fan, once given a good clean it worked again..and have cleaned it every year since!!!
Not sure If the c boilers have a similar set up though
Exactly the same with our 4e. Some amount of muck came out of it!:eek:

bungy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
alas, no more
Exp
Since 2007
It's in at Knowepark and they haven't told me about the fault code. They are Truma registered so I'm assuming they know what they're doing but they seem to be stumped. They're trying a new gas valve just now. We have Gaslow fitted and it has been checked twice and is working fine.
Given it works on water with gas i cant see a gas valve being the issue

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
They tried a new fan motor but I don't know if they cleaned out the combustion fan. When it was in, in July they blasted air through everything to clean it out. I'll ask them about the combustion fan when they call me. Thanks

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 680 Starline
Exp
I have exactly the same problem
Error code 202 and also had 112.
Boiler fires up but goes off after five or ten minutes.
Mobile caravan engineer suggested I send it back to Truma, he will charge £40 to remove boiler and another £40 to refit it, thought it sounded reasonable.

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I did wonder about going down to the Truma service centre on our way if the dealer can't fix it. It's certainly going to be too cold to be in France for 8 weeks without the heating.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The gas demand is obviously a lot less when heating water than when heating the blown air system.

You mention you have refillable gas bottles. Where have these been refilled? Refills in UK provide 100% propane whereas refills in mainland Europe are generally a mixture of propane/butane. The latter can lower the pressure quite significantly over time.

Suggest the OP tests the system with a new propane bottle and possibly a new gas regulator in order to eliminate these items from the cause of the problem.

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
The gas demand is obviously a lot less when heating water than when heating the blown air system.

You mention you have refillable gas bottles. Where have these been refilled? Refills in UK provide 100% propane whereas refills in mainland Europe are generally a mixture of propane/butane. The latter can lower the pressure quite significantly over time.

Suggest the OP tests the system with a new propane bottle and possibly a new gas regulator in order to eliminate these items from the cause of the problem.
They were filled two weeks ago in the UK and we've had the gas system tested so I don't think that's the problem but thanks for the suggestion.

Sportsnapper

Free Member
Sep 3, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
Since 2004
Phone the Truma centre and see if they can fit you in on the way. We once called ahead and they said they’d see us after lunch. New burner fitted ( I think, while ago now), and everything back in place in about three hours. They were really helpful.

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Phone the Truma centre and see if they can fit you in on the way. We once called ahead and they said they’d see us after lunch. New burner fitted ( I think, while ago now), and everything back in place in about three hours. They were really helpful.
If the dealer can't fix it I think we'll try that - thanks.

Tykatem

Free Member
Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
SOLD it
If it does have the flashing red light, then you need to decipher the sequence of short and long flashes, then call Truma who will then tell you what the fault is.

Pete

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If it does have the flashing red light, then you need to decipher the sequence of short and long flashes, then call Truma who will then tell you what the fault is.

Pete
The red light on the panel is on constantly. The dealer has phoned Truma and trying everything they can think of. Truma sent a new PCB but it seems to be faulty as a different PCB for gas only systems seems to work. All very strange.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If you're getting hot water it's not just something to do with a thermostat for the heating is it? Not letting the heating fire up?

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If you're getting hot water it's not just something to do with a thermostat for the heating is it? Not letting the heating fire up?
I asked them if it could be the thermostat but they thought it should still light. Just hoping that they can sort it out but if not we can change our tunnel crossing and maybe go to the Truma service centre.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
9 yrs
I did wonder about going down to the Truma service centre on our way if the dealer can't fix it. It's certainly going to be too cold to be in France for 8 weeks without the heating.
I called Truma and they basically almost in my mind laughed at me when I explained I paid £65 to have fire serviced. Theres very little to it I was told and if its kept clean should be ok. Our problem was the fire kept blowing out in the wind. Fitting a flue extension solved it. Something so simple as well.

bungy

Free Member
Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
alas, no more
Exp
Since 2007
The red light on the panel is on constantly. The dealer has phoned Truma and trying everything they can think of. Truma sent a new PCB but it seems to be faulty as a different PCB for gas only systems seems to work. All very strange.
The led light tykatem is pointing to is on the pcb itself, not the control panels.
It gives a series of long and short flashes which line up to an error code like in this pdf
https://dealernew.truma.com/downloadcenter/bcl_769_5_9_0_en.pdf

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
The led light tykatem is pointing to is on the pcb itself, not the control panels.
It gives a series of long and short flashes which line up to an error code like in this pdf
https://dealernew.truma.com/downloadcenter/bcl_769_5_9_0_en.pdf
So I'm hoping the dealer has been able to read those. They've been on the phone to Truma several times. What's worrying me is the time building up on the dealer's hourly rate. It didn't occur to me that solving it would be a puzzle to them when I took it in.

Jan 28, 2008
walthamstow east london
Funster No
MH
renault burstner delphin
Exp
7 years campers before that
If the heating works with a gas only board that rules out every thing mechanical like fans and gasvalves I would be asking traumas if there's anything on the mains side that would cut of the gas does it run via the same internal sensors on both fuels or does it change over?

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
If the heating works with a gas only board that rules out every thing mechanical like fans and gasvalves I would be asking traumas if there's anything on the mains side that would cut of the gas does it run via the same internal sensors on both fuels or does it change over?
The dealer thinks they’ve sent a faulty replacement board. It was the last on the shelf. He had the gas one in stock so he says he’ll check it’s all working on gas only and lend it to s for the trip. I just want to be sure that whatever blew the first board won’t blow this one. Maybe we should have gone for a replacement boiler.

OP
Mags52
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I've just heard from the dealer. The boiler is now working. They changed the combustion fan and the other fan motor and then the new PCB worked. It's all fixed and ready to go but he mentioned that the bill is going to be large.
Hopefully the van will behave itself for a while now. She's getting a bit expensive in her old age.

Funsters who are viewing this thread