Truma Automatic Frost Control (1 Viewer)

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Newbie question, Living in Spain have not had any cause to consider never mind use the Frost Control on a Truma Combi Heating System. However guess who is driving over to UK next week when snow and freezing minus temperatures are forecast. So question is do I leave the Frost control activated or is it safe to deactivate it. If so are there any do's or don'ts I should be considering?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not quite sure what you mean. Most Truma boilers have a dump valve that lets all the water out if it thinks there is a chance of it freezing in there ie at 4 or 5c. The only way I know to stop it is to jury rig it with an elastic band. Please bear in mind that the reason for this is to stop the boiler from being broken at a cost of £900+ Most people either drain the water if they are not using the van or keep the inside above 5c if they are using it.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It is expected that it is going to be very cold over the next few weeks in the UK. If you are not using the van every day with the heating on I would drain it down.

As Vanman says a new boiler is very expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don’t think you can disable it and if you have one it’s been very cold down here at El Rocio overnight and ours has not dumped any water at all.
I would just leave it and make sure your van is warm inside and ensure your tanks are winterproof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaveaSteve

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Thanks guy's, think I may have confused the "Deactivate" in the manual as being able to turn it off. Will be in the Motorhome for whole of the expected 'Cool' period so heating will be on. I am assuming you can only use the gas heating when stationery, whole different ball game to Motorhoming in UK...........

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks guy's, think I may have confused the "Deactivate" in the manual as being able to turn it off. Will be in the Motorhome for whole of the expected 'Cool' period so heating will be on. I am assuming you can only use the gas heating when stationery, whole different ball game to Motorhoming in UK...........
That depends on what you have we can use ours when on the move but have Truma secu motion (that’s a green button on each cylinder hose that you have to press) and a button on the regulator that you press and slowly release

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am assuming you can only use the gas heating when stationery,

no, you can certainly use while moving .. we do so when traveling in winter as the cab heater in the Fiat is not capable of heating the van for the rear passenger.

However>>
Truma , advise >>For heating while driving, Directive UN ECE R 122 for motor homes and caravans specifies a safety shut-off device. The Truma MonoControl CS gas pressure regulation system fulfils this requirement. Throughout Europe, a type-tested LPG heater may be used while driving (according to Directive UN ECE R 122) if the system includes this regulator with an appropriately configured gas installation. National regulations must be observed. https://www.truma.com/uk/en/faq/operate-truma-heaters-while-driving.html

To my knowledge there is no UK regulation that says you must have the safety valve fitted ..

if you have Gasloow refillable R67 bottles the cylinder has an excess flow valve to restrict the flow of gas if the hose ruptures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaveaSteve

JaveaSteve

Free Member
Nov 8, 2017
Javea, Alicante, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium T70GE
Again, many thanks, in between post my last post/ in question and now have found the Truma operating manual and actually sat in M/H in 23.5 degrees and read it, where it quoted scotjimland above and had a a section entitled operating the heater whist on the move. So as I have the Gasflow system fitted will hopefully be able to keep warm whilst exploring Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia. Thank you all.

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Don’t wish to be thick ( it just happened) I have just brought the van home from Storage. It is completely drained down. I take it that I am ok just to run the hot air heating? Thanks.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don’t wish to be thick ( it just happened) I have just brought the van home from Storage. It is completely drained down. I take it that I am ok just to run the hot air heating? Thanks.
yes.. with provisos ..

Truma Boiler Running ‘dry’

Early versions of the Truma combination air/water heater (designated C3400 and C6000) had a water jacket with vitreous-enamelled inner surfaces and these appliances must NEVER be run empty of water.

The C3402, C6002 (and the latest C4002) models have a completely revised construction with a stainless-steel water jacket. As the manual says, it is perfectly acceptable for these to be run 'dry'.

As confirmed by Truma

Thank you for your email, I can confirm that the following heaters can be operated on the space heating function with no water in the tank:

C3402

C4002

C6002

C6002EH

If you require any further assistance do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Nicky Price

Customer Services Advisor

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back