Truma automatic dump valve problems (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We never had this on our old van but it will be fitted on our new one. A friend was always loosing his fresh water when we camped in April and only recently did he discover it was this valve dumping it!

Having read it mentioned in many threads I understand what it does but I have never seen anyone explain how they prevent the valve dumping the water when there is no risk of freezing. Can anyone please explain how to prevent it?

My new Adria Twin is designed to be used in well sub zero temperatures so how do they keep water in the inboard tank if this valve wants to dump it I wonder.

Any help appreciated
regards Roy

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
The valve needs to be I believe below 4'c to auto dump, that is normal fridge temps..
Once it dumps its a manual reset in the majority of cases.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The valve needs to be I believe below 4'c to auto dump, that is normal fridge temps..
Once it dumps its a manual reset in the majority of cases.
Thanks but 4C is not cold and to dump all the water seems a bit extreme. I take it it is the temp at the valve, which is on the floor in any case, that has to drop to 4C

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks but 4C is not cold and to dump all the water seems a bit extreme. I take it it is the temp at the valve, which is on the floor in any case, that has to drop to 4C
It depends on the pump system. If pressure sensed it will pump out all the water. If it is a microswitched system it'll empty the boiler. 4C is pretty chilly and the sensor, not being a precision device, will play safe. If the van is in use it is likely the heating will be on. If it isn't in use you'll have drained down. The valve is easily defeated if you're confident you can keep an eye on the temperature 🤔.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for all the replies, I get the gist of how to do it now & it seems to be have the van warmed up, if cold, before filling in readiness for setting off and then hopefully in normal conditions the valve will be over 4C whilst the van is in use.

I was envisioning problems as when we head to Croatia at the end of April we have been in -5C in Austria with 15cm icicles hanging from the cab, so didn’t want to loose the water too.

My friend used to fill his Burstner at the storage compound then set off for perhaps up to a 2 hour drive in April and when he got to the campsite he had lost his water. I guess he didn’t read the manual, unlike me who wants to learn all even before delivery 😜, it was only when I learned of this issue I asked him if this was the problem. It was & he had just learned of it too.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for all the replies, I get the gist of how to do it now & it seems to be have the van warmed up, if cold, before filling in readiness for setting off and then hopefully in normal conditions the valve will be over 4C whilst the van is in use.

I was envisioning problems as when we head to Croatia at the end of April we have been in -5C in Austria with 15cm icicles hanging from the cab, so didn’t want to loose the water too.

My friend used to fill his Burstner at the storage compound then set off for perhaps up to a 2 hour drive in April and when he got to the campsite he had lost his water. I guess he didn’t read the manual, unlike me who wants to learn all even before delivery 😜, it was only when I learned of this issue I asked him if this was the problem. It was & he had just learned of it too.
That sounds more like his floor around the valve was not properly insulated.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
royandsharont you could fit a "truma frost control " simply plugs into the valve and boiler, keeps the dump valve above 4° deg
Not sure why so many people have problems yet do not fit this (y)

Truma-FrostControl-Heizelement-310-160-9981314.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Vanderek have you any more details of the above. Does it act like a heater? Sorry just trying to get to grips with all the water system both fresh and boiler as have lost both types of water on seperate occasions. We often are in lower temps and would like some kind of preventative measure. Thanks

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Maybe the valve on your friends is already stuck open and he doesn’t look under his van 🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
We never had this on our old van but it will be fitted on our new one. A friend was always loosing his fresh water when we camped in April and only recently did he discover it was this valve dumping it!

Having read it mentioned in many threads I understand what it does but I have never seen anyone explain how they prevent the valve dumping the water when there is no risk of freezing. Can anyone please explain how to prevent it?

My new Adria Twin is designed to be used in well sub zero temperatures so how do they keep water in the inboard tank if this valve wants to dump it I wonder.

Any help appreciated
regards Roy
You can either put a peg on it to stop it dumping or change it for a manual one.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Vanderek have you any more details of the above. Does it act like a heater? Sorry just trying to get to grips with all the water system both fresh and boiler as have lost both types of water on seperate occasions. We often are in lower temps and would like some kind of preventative measure. Thanks
This does act like an element to keep the boiler dump valve at about 4°. Easy to plug in, I moved mine from one motorhome to the next.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back