Truma 6E or Alde (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I am looking at getting a new MH which comes with Truma 6E which is similar to what I have at the moment but have the option of going for Alde.
What are the positives/negatives of the Alde.

It will be in MH with a double floor and will be mostly for warm weather but do occasionally go skiing in UK and abroad.

What I understand so far is with Alde you don't need to have a fan consuming battery current but you do have radiators that take up space, in particular the toilet. I read the Alde does work with the Truma CP Plus controller but does it work well. Thanks in advance.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The Alde works very well and is very efficient as far as its 12v power consumption, I wouldn't really say that it takes up any more room than a blown air system but it does give a much better all round even heat distribution and is fantastic if you run it while driving in conjunction with a heat exchanger which runs the ALDE heating from the engines waste heat.

Martin

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
The only radiator in ours is in the bathroom, and it takes little space. And if you are skiing, it's great for airing stuff off. All the other heat exchangers are behind furniture. My observation having just had two months off hook, skiing, and having had several years experience of Truma, is that Alde beats it hands down. That said, Truma works pretty effectively. The major difference for us was that Truma tends to "hunt" for the right temperature. When it gets there, it switches down, and the van cools quickly, then it comes back on - hunting to maintain temperature. The Alde maintains temperature much more effectively, presumably because of the thermal mass of the system. Regarding battery consumption, don't forget there is a circulation pump to be taken into account, but we found consumption to be minimal. For winter use, as noted above, the fact that the system runs through the engine cooling, means your van is warm when you arrive, but for me, more importantly, the engine is warmed when you are parked up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim lea

Free Member
Dec 13, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2014
The only radiator in ours is in the bathroom, and it takes little space. And if you are skiing, it's great for airing stuff off. All the other heat exchangers are behind furniture. My observation having just had two months off hook, skiing, and having had several years experience of Truma, is that Alde beats it hands down. That said, Truma works pretty effectively. The major difference for us was that Truma tends to "hunt" for the right temperature. When it gets there, it switches down, and the van cools quickly, then it comes back on - hunting to maintain temperature. The Alde maintains temperature much more effectively, presumably because of the thermal mass of the system. Regarding battery consumption, don't forget there is a circulation pump to be taken into account, but we found consumption to be minimal. For winter use, as noted above, the fact that the system runs through the engine cooling, means your van is warm when you arrive, but for me, more importantly, the engine is warmed when you are parked up.

I’m in the same situation as @sinbad, it’s looking likely well go for the truma with electric option, however I am interested in your view regarding the thermal mass of the system. Are you able to elaborate on this rick as it may affect my decision on this. Decisions, decisions !

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The pump to warm the engine is often an option on top of the heat exchanger.

Martin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Theres pros and cons, warm air heats up faster. Water stays hot longer.
If you go for the truma make sure you have the CP plus panel it gives a timer and better fan control over the standard one.

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks @rickwiggans, what you have written is very useful. Do find the truma tends to be variable on the temperature but accepted it as been a motorhome rather than a house. Just need to find the cost of the option now!

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks @rickwiggans, what you have written is very useful. Do find the truma tends to be variable on the temperature but accepted it as been a motorhome rather than a house. Just need to find the cost of the option now!
We always found the Truma to be more variable than our current Alde. That said, the Truma system is still pretty effective, and we went for Alde specifically because we spend at least two months of the year skiing, off hook, at minus a lot. I would say that for us, the Alde heating is more effective, and gives a pleasanter heat, which stays more constant. But, of course I'm also conscious that I'm comparing the difference in performance of two systems, but in different vans. We've had Truma in a Swift, a Chausson, and a Burstner. Undoubtably, our Rapido is the best insulated, so that is bound to factor in.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I've had both systems and much prefer Alde because, as previous posts have said, the whole motorhome heats up and stays warm for longer. My experience of blown air systems is that there can be cold spots and, as has been said, the motorhome cools down quickly. When you first turn on the blown air system, the air inside can feel warm, but when you sit down, the seats are cold. Don't get that with Alde, I find. Word of advice if going for Alde - try and get the option for a fan in the cab area - it can be a little colder because of where the piping has to be routed (if you find the cab area is draughty turn the air circulation knob on the dashboard heater controls to internal). There can be an additional expense as well because of the recommended service intervals for Alde fluid changes. Also, both installations can vary in effectiveness due to the motorhome layout, and how diligent the designers have been in routing the ducts or radiator pipes. We found that, with Alde heating, the Bailey 78-6 took a lot longer to warm up than the Elddis 285.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
Currently in the Alps in a Rapido A class with Truma 6E and it has been excellent. We don't go away in January, March is more us. Lowest outside temp so far about -10 and everything has been toasty warm.

We tend to stay in campsites so use hookup and the electric elements at night and leave the temperature at 11 also during the day when skiing

If we need a boost then we bang on the combined and it heats up in no time.

If we had the option I really don't know if we would specify Alde as it tends to add s couple of K to the price. It just depends on your planned usage.

We have found putting a downy in the front of the van had cut the cold spots out though!

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
For reference, we go January February into March. Our temperatures this year hovered around minus 15, down to minus 21. No hookup, so gas only. Last year, in the Burstner, with Truma, the temperatures hovered around minus 10, and no doubt about it, this year we were warmer. Different van though, so that must come into it.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Having had both systems I much prefer the Alde
Not only becuase it offers far superior comfort, but we used to get woken up by the Truma when the fan started running in the morning.
Plus, the heat exchanger allows you to heat the whole van (and hot water) for free when driving in the winter.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
I could be mistaken---- but------------- I believe that the Alde would be a massive bonus when selling the van------ a dealer wouldn't give you more but selling privately I think you would sell before a truma equipped van---
In our opinions the Alde is just supurb and worth paying extra for------ unfortunately we are selling our Flair with Alde heating and couldn't find a caravan with Alde in our price range ---- so have to learn to live with the truma------ but in Portugal we will probably get more use out of the air conditioning!!!!!!! LOL

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
When the subject comes up on here from time-to-time I believe there is one person who had an issue with their Alde system and would vote Truma. Everyone else prefers their Alde and most wouldn't go back.
Having had a Luton with Truma - the front cabin was never warm in the morning. An A Class with Truma - warmish in the front. Low profile with Alde - warm throughout the van with little differentiation wherever you are.
It is the difference between having central heating and fan heaters, the Alde heats the whole fabric of the van. Firmly in the never go back category.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Another vote for the Alde system, especially if you have the additional heat exchanger- nothing beats driving in the winter with the whole van toasty warm during the journey and on arrival!

In my view, there is no comparison.

Think about it, how many households have warm air heating systems and how many have wet radiator systems?

Ian

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
I have had two Bessacarr caravans one with Alde and one with a Truma and the Alde was superior. The Truma ultra heat rotted out. The Alde radiators are more efficient than the blown air systems and the pipework takes up far less room.

We have had two motorhomes. An Autotrail with a Truma Combi and our N + B with its Alde wet radiator system with cab fan and heat exchanger etc. The heating is superb and the shower lasts longer with greater pressure.

I am an Alde confirmed fan. Its basically a wet system like in a house with a boiler.

I have also had a house with a blown air system that ran off a boiler and I had to convert it to a wet radiator system because it was so poor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back