LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
There has been a slight drip from the hot water outlet elbow valve that has been causing a slight drop in water pressure.
Researched everything on line and thought let’s see if it can be cleaned or if it needs replacing.
Hobby in their infinite wisdom must build the van from the Truma upwards 😱.
On my model the Truma is located in a cupboard in the garage.
Just trying to view the elbow is nigh on impossible. There is just enough room to get one hand in to feel where the elbow is. Even trying to hold a mirror over the elbow to view it was near impossible.
Decided the only thing to do would be to disconnect everything and try to turn the Truma sideways to get at it.
Easier said than done. The unit is mounted on a raised platform inside the cupboard and it’s obviously screwed onto this at the front and back.
No access to the back fixing screws.
Plan B . Remove the platform fixing screws. Due to the height of the platform the only screwdriver that would fit was a small dumpy Philips. Those 8 screws were possibly the hardest most uncomfortable screws I have ever had to undo. Due to the positionI had to get my body in my shoulders and hand ached like hell. Took about two hours to undo them.
Eventually released it all and managed to turn the unit enough to access the elbow.
Cut the pipe clips off and removed the offending item.
Valve is U/S so a search on the web and a replacement ordered.
Also ordered the correct clips to attach the hoses.
Hopefully parts should be delivered midweek.
Fortunately there is enough slack on the hoses that I can fit the new elbow and just push it back on with the unit in situ so I replaced everything and ran the unit up on gas and checked there are no leaks and no carbon monoxide fumes.
Certainly not an easy job for such a minor piece.
The red arrow indicates where the elbow is located.
CD355C7F-CC02-46F4-93F3-1A200D941FA0.jpeg

8A8AA25F-0691-4689-92FA-1A11E945FEB7.jpeg
033584F4-1AC4-4125-809E-4D5323A6ED91.png

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm only asking as I'm always trying to learn. (y) Why would the valve need replaced? Does the plastic wear? I'd have been trying a jubilee clip on the hose. :)

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I'm only asking as I'm always trying to learn. (y) Why would the valve need replaced? Does the plastic wear? I'd have been trying a jubilee clip on the hose. :)
The valve operates an overflow. Hot water comes out of the boiler into the larger connection with the black seal and gets distributed to the taps by way of the fluted connection. The valve is in the smooth connection and this goes out through the floor and discharges underneath the van.
This valve is not repairable. I blew it through with an airline in case there was a piece of debris stopping it sealing. Replacement is the only option to keep the system fully pressurised.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
The valve operates an overflow. Hot water comes out of the boiler into the larger connection with the black seal and gets distributed to the taps by way of the fluted connection. The valve is in the smooth connection and this goes out through the floor and discharges underneath the van.
This valve is not repairable. I blew it through with an airline in case there was a piece of debris stopping it sealing. Replacement is the only option to keep the system fully pressurised.
Thanks for the detailed info. It might come in handy for me or someone else in the future. (y)

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
It is not an overflow, it is to allow air out of the boiler while filling up.
Very common fault with them, if it's leaking a lot to keep you going bend the outlet tube in half and clamp it, with a cable tie.
Thanks for the info. 👍 I realised it wasn’t an overflow due to the valve but wondered if it was pressure relief.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
grasscutter

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Just an update. Replacement part arrived today. 5 minute job.😂😂😂😂😂
If I had fitted the right size oetikir hose clip I wouldn’t have had water pi##ing out all over the garage.
Took me two hours to get the Truma back out and release the elbow/valve, cut off the offending clip and fit the right one.
I suppose age is no excuse 😂😂👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back