May 29, 2019
Deepest darkest North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Hi All,

Just purchased a Truma 4e (at a good price), it should be here any day now.

Has anybody fitted one of these and if so, is there anything I should particularly look out for, any "gotcha's" so to speak that I need to plan ahead for?

I've left all gas piping and water services alone till I've got this situated in the garage so I (hopefully) only have to do it the once.

(I’ll get a “build-album” together at some point, but it’s been a mad rush to try be ready for the September deadline)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Mounting in the garage will mean long pipe runs to the cab area and you will probably find the cab too cold and the bedroom too hot. Best to mount midships or even better towards the front if you can.

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
I fitted a Truma 4e into my self-build with no major issues but it does depend on skill level I guess! As long as you study the installation instructions until you are sure you understand them, it should all be fine.

Two critical aspects are the height of the flue exit relative to the boiler and the length of the hot air ducts. I managed mine so that all hot air ducts were close to the same length so that the distribution of heat was even and controllable. Wildly different duct lengths makes that harder - but probably not impossible?

Make sure that you have access to a list of the flashing error codes on the PCB, then if you have any commissioning issues, like a faulty connection to the controller, you will get useful diagnostics.

Enjoy the process!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SurferBuzz

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Lenny HB
I hadn't thought about it's location previously and have kinda painted myself into a corner now.
The bench seat in the front (which is now built) isn't really big enough to house the unit.

ericroy
That’s some good info, and ties into exactly with what Lenny HB was saying about heat distribution.

I’ll have 3 outlets, bedroom, shower, and living quarter, all different lengths of pipe.
I guess I may need to work on the vent openings to try find a balance.

Thanks for the heads-up on getting to the error codes, I’ll ensure I’ll install it with that in mind.

OP
OP
SurferBuzz

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Oh....

I’ve only had a "brisk" read through the online manual and thought it was 3.
I wondered why you could buy blanking plugs for the outlets and it intrigued me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SurferBuzz

SurferBuzz

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter self build
Exp
Campervaning 9yrs
Magnum motorhomes sell them but it does state "blank off one of the outlets"

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Make sure you can get at it without having to dismantle everything when it goes wrong! Some manufacturers never think about this when they design their models!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back