Truma 4E combs with digital control panel (1 Viewer)

paul murphy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2017
Funster No
Just wondered if anyone had any ideas regarding the digital control unit attached to a Truma 4e.

My understanding is, that EU law stipulates while a vehicle is in transit, everything in the rear should be disconnected (although most connect their fridges up to run continuously, makes sense). I have converted several motorhomes and used the Sergent ec155 / ec51 power supply unit and harness. This receives an engine run signal which disconnects everything in the rear while the vehicle is moving. The frustrating thing is, it disconnects the Truma control panel which has to be reprogrammed each time the vehicle ignition is turned off. Has anyone else come across this and how did you get round it, bearing in mind, it is probably illegal to have it fed from a permanent live feed.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure where you're getting your 'EU Law' definition but most of the MHs made in mainland Europe don't have a cut-off, it's just a daft thing that the UK motorhome builders do as they believe they have to, to comply with NCC regs ... but I'm not aware it is an actual LEGAL requirement.

Oooooooops ... forgot to say hi! :D

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:pink:
Fairly standard arrangement to have heater, at least one set of lights, the awning light and the fridge electronics fed from a permantly live connection that bypass the distribution unit so even if you switch of the habitation electrics they are still on. All 3 vans we have had have been like that.
Only UK built vans do what yours does, a hangover from caravans, no legal requirement at all.

All you need to do is find the relay and disconnect the D+ feed or better still bypass the relay or remove it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only reason for the habitation cut-off is for compliance with EMC Regulations. Every electrical device fitted within a vehicle has to be Electro Magnetically Compatible with modern vehicle electronics and has to be certified as such. This means that unless every lighting, heating, etc. device has been EMC certified it must be disconnected whilst the vehicle is being driven. Certification is complex and costs money so converters take the easy way out. And rightly so IMO. There's nothing to stop an owner disabling the disconnection relay.

OP
OP
paul murphy

paul murphy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2017
Funster No
Just one further question, if I give the Truma and it's panel a continuous live feed, would that not allow the accidental possibility of allowing the boiler to be running while driving the vehicle, thus risking the burner flame being blown out due to outside wind while traveling, or is this how most vans are wired these days?

Thank you all anyway, as that was my first post, it has been very informative.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The Truma boiler is designed so that you can use it whilst driving along. (y) Mine is German built so I don't have the snags of the habitation electrics going off when you start up, but if you use a check list, you can add "turn boiler off" to it if you were at all worried. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back