Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
It's been awhile since anyone has commented on this sat nav - are you
I think this is what you want..

Broken Link Removed

This was on an older post last commented on in Jan 2014 - can I ask the same question - are you all still happy with it & has anyone tried it out in Europe?

Thanks,

Dot

OP
OP
D

Dotplus6

Free Member
Oct 4, 2013
N. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Swift Royale 540 (1995)
Exp
4 yrs in total but not consecutively. Just bought the 3rd.
Thanks Graham - Hubby thinks we should just use good old fashioned maps :) Maybe he's right - it would be good for the kids to utilise some map reading skills & probably wouldn't do us any harm either - we've become too dependant on technology.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Used mine down to Manilva (South Spain) and back earlier this year and did not have any problems. I inputted coordinates and it took me to the camp entrances every time. Very happy

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Mine kept freezing and losing its settings, it's now in a box under the stairs. The sun-shade fits the new Caravan Club model Snooper that I bought at Stratford though.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Mine got me from Newbury to Maidenhead, about 25 miles all along the M4. It then "encountered a criticl error" and froze. I tried to clear this error but the unit did absolutely nothing none of the applications would work. I managed to turn the thing off eventually, left it overnight and tried again the next day. It now tells me about the critical error and asks me if I want to return to factory settings, when I click on" yes" it does absolutely nothing, just brings up the critical error message again. In my opinion it is a load of rubbish.
As they say "Good no cheap, cheap no good"

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
I am now worried, down through France ,Spain ,Portugal and back no problem ran side by side with a garmin for two days just to check then put garmin back in its box to be used if we do get into trouble.
Perhaps I have been lucky ( it makes a change )
Regards Dave

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Mine got me from Newbury to Maidenhead, about 25 miles all along the M4. It then "encountered a criticl error" and froze. I tried to clear this error but the unit did absolutely nothing none of the applications would work. I managed to turn the thing off eventually, left it overnight and tried again the next day. It now tells me about the critical error and asks me if I want to return to factory settings, when I click on" yes" it does absolutely nothing, just brings up the critical error message again. In my opinion it is a load of rubbish.

Brian
I had one and had exactly the same problem. They sent me a new card which worked for a few days then same problem again. Then they sent me a completely new unit which had the same problem straight out of the box. By then I'd had enough and got a refund and postage costs plus 6 emails begging me not to give them negative feedback.
As you say total rubbish stick to my Garmins nothing else gets close for me.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Brian there is a reset button on the back, you need to insert something with a point, if you already tried it please disreguard, but good luck with it,

Eric

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Just came back from 5 weeks in France sat nav worked well never lead us astray once.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
brain like eric said use the reset at the back mine has now took me all over the place with no problems france,germany,italy,austria,czech,poland,spain,portugal and everywhere in the uk i been with no problems at all (y)

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for your replies guys. I plugged the Sat Nav in and let it charge up while we went shopping. On our return I turned it on and got the same "critical error" message on the screen. None of the Apps worked, I just got a beep from the Navigation button. I then tried to reset back to factory default, it told me I would loose all of my POI's etc. I stuck a pin in the reset port and lo and behold something different came up. The error has now gone from "critical" to "fatal" and it is now asking me if I want to return to factory default settings again. I am now about to carry out a fine tuning adjustment using a rusty tent peg and a 3 pound club hammer. If that fails it's going back to meet its makers.
Doctor Brisey, Satellite Navigation System Surgeon.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, still happy with ours. Taken us as far south as south of France and north to Scotland. No probs

Wyn

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
It now tells me about the critical error and asks me if I want to return to factory settings, when I click on" yes" it does absolutely nothing, just brings up the critical error message again. In my opinion it is a load of rubbish.

Brian,

I believe this error may be caused if the unit switches itself off when the battery is depleted. Plug it into a power source and when it asks you to return to factory settings click "no". It should start up if it does shut it down correctly so that it does a proper controlled shut down. Then all should be well (hopefully)

John

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
when you lot find all the props.and how to fix them.then I will buy one.thanks in advance.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Love ours. By my own fault, I had not set the weight limit, and, (as it turned out), the default is four tons. Approaching a railway bridge on a country road heading towards Brampton, Cumbria, on a road I know well, when it screamed out 'You are approaching a bridge with a weight limit of 3.5 tons'. Big deal, (thought I), well under that......But then Johnny sat nav would have nothing to do with me unless I took the alternate route, (which we didn't).
It sulked for a whole day, until I set the correct weight into it. So, it works!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is currently in the 'fatal error' phase. Will keep trying for a bit. It worked fine down to central France then threw a wobbly for no apparent reason.
It was very cheap, so if it works you're lucky and if it doesn't, no great loss.
I have two other satnavs in the MH and if all else fails my phone has quite a good satnav app on it.

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
It looks like there is a fairly high failure rate. I will have to update my tom tom and carry that in reserve and see how long mine lasts, although to date it has been spot on and not a hint of a problem. If it fails then I will try Doctor Brisey's remedy !

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Mine's only been used twice so far, going to the campsite alongside Nostell Priory recently it did warn me the route would take me along banned roads, or whatever the terminology. It was the long approach off the the A638 that was, or would have been a problem with a lorry. First trip took me a better route from the Garmin. So far so good.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Love ours. By my own fault, I had not set the weight limit, and, (as it turned out), the default is four tons. Approaching a railway bridge on a country road heading towards Brampton, Cumbria, on a road I know well, when it screamed out 'You are approaching a bridge with a weight limit of 3.5 tons'. Big deal, (thought I), well under that......But then Johnny sat nav would have nothing to do with me unless I took the alternate route, (which we didn't).
It sulked for a whole day, until I set the correct weight into it. So, it works!

Is that why mine keeps telling me I'm over the speed limit, I think I set mine to 40 tonnes? :rolleyes:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think you need to use your 'noggin' with it. We left Ayr, and I was adamant that I wasn't going to do that ball ache trip down to Dumfries, heading South, and so I decided to go due East, using the A70, in order to pick up the M74 at junction 13. Machine was not happy, so I switched on the standby TomTom series one, now much out of date, however, it showed me the bends and twists, which is all I wanted to know.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I did have some problems a while ago running from SD card (including freezing and needing to reset) but it was fine when I switched back to main memory. I changed the SD card and copied the software there and it has been fine since so that points to a dodgy SD card in my book (my own not the original).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back